Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dead Pine Trees Throughout TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dead-pine-trees-throughout-tv-140699/)

Boudicca 01-25-2015 05:01 PM

Dead Pine Trees Throughout TV

We have noticed a very large number of dead pine trees, throughout TV, some around ponds, others on courses and public landscaping areas. What gives? Is there a disease, bug infestation specific to pines? When will these long dead trees be removed/replaced?

perrjojo 01-25-2015 05:05 PM

Care you certain they are pines and not cypress. Cypress trees look similar and the leaves,turn burnt orange in fall and will come back green in the spring.

Boudicca 01-25-2015 05:27 PM

Not cypress, but very dead pine trees :(

Bogie Shooter 01-25-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 1001052)
We have noticed a very large number of dead pine trees, throughout TV, some around ponds, others on courses and public landscaping areas. What gives? Is there a disease, bug infestation specific to pines? When will these long dead trees be removed/replaced?

What gives? How would posters on TOTV know? Or when, if really dead, they will be removed?
Suggest you call............

The District Property Management Department is responsible for upholding the aesthetic, physical and environmental assets of the District by maintaining the District’s physical assets and infrastructure.

Sam Wartinbee, Director
sam.wartinbee@districtgov.org

Dave Burgess, Assistant Director
dave.burgess@districtgov.org
Contact Us

Main Office
1071 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-753-4022
Fax: 352-753-4296

Polar Bear 01-25-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 1001060)
Not cypress, but very dead pine trees :(

Any chance you could post some pictures? I don't mean to question your post, but I have seen many brown, leafless cypress trees. I don't recall seeing any dead pines. I have not been looking for dead pines, that's why I say I'm not questioning what you say...I could very well have missed them. But I am curious where they are and what they look like.

Boudicca 01-25-2015 06:18 PM

I wont continue the thread due to Boogie's tone.

Polar Bear 01-25-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 1001085)

Awww! I'm truly curious. Since my last post, I now remember I have seen the occasional obviously-long-dead pine tree on a couple of golf courses. I'm wondering if those are the types of trees you're talking about? And if so, about how common they are throughout TV?

Please don't let one disagreeable post stop you. Trust me...if you do...you'll never post!! It's commonplace...you just need to look past them!! :laugh: :beer3:

Boudicca 01-25-2015 06:36 PM

Thanks Polar Bear. I'll let the Administrator handle my complaint. However, I lived up north for 45 years, and DO know the difference between cedar and cypress trees. What I posed as a simple "any one know...." went waaaaaay beyond my intent.

sunnyatlast 01-25-2015 06:58 PM

I noticed a large, glaring example of awfully dead-looking pines(?) yesterday on O'Dell, going westward from Canal Street, around a retention pond on the left/south of O'Dell. They looked dead and scraggly, and my thoughts were that this is going to be costly to replace in so many areas where there are retention ponds bordered by these trees.

However, as someone mentioned, they could be cypress trees, because those on O'Dell looked exactly like the first photo here in the UF website, where they say this:
"People in both urban and rural areas can benefit from planting cypress. For example, these trees can enhance the aesthetics and functioning of stormwater drainage systems (See Figure 1). Some landowners may voluntarily plant cypress to provide these services, while others may be required to construct or restore cypress wetlands to mitigate for wetland destruction.

[Click thumbnail to enlarge.]
Figure 1. Cypress trees can enhance the aesthetics and functioning of stormwater retention ponds.
CIR 1458/FR152: Planting Cypress

gomoho 01-25-2015 07:25 PM

:''

Walter123 01-25-2015 08:13 PM

:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1001091)
Please don't let one disagreeable post stop you. Trust me...if you do...you'll never post!! It's commonplace...you just need to look past them!! :laugh: :beer3:

Bogie Shooter 01-25-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 1001085)

Just responding to the tone of your post.

Topspinmo 01-25-2015 09:32 PM

How to Identify and Manage Pine Wilt Disease and Treat Wood Products Infested by the Pinewood Nematode

I think might find this interesting with pictures of dead tree if it will load.
I come from OK. pines dyeing there also.

obxgal 01-25-2015 10:30 PM

Bald Cypress is a deciduous evergreen, meaning it has foliage similar to an evergreen which it sheds in the winter. Bald Cypress has an outstanding coppery fall color, and a soft droopy needle which adds texture to the landscape.

HGIC 1033 Bald-cypress : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

http://dmg-photography.com/blog/tag/nwr/page/2 Near the bottom of the page

https://www.pinterest.com/source/treeseedonline.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/lsm3921/bald-cyress/

Bald Cypress Tree

kaydee 01-25-2015 11:05 PM

I also have noticed many dead trees. One in particular is near the practice putting green by the Saddlebrook Rec center. There also is a number of evergreens, or I should say "never green" along the Saddlebrook cart path. I guess I should take the time to call in the complaint. Sadly I don't make the time for such calls as I'm usually busy making complaints with century link & insurance company.
Glad this topic was brought up.