Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Would like some thoughts on whether to buy a smart TV or not if getting a new one (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/would-like-some-thoughts-whether-buy-smart-tv-not-if-getting-new-one-140741/)

jimmemac 01-25-2015 10:53 PM

Would like some thoughts on whether to buy a smart TV or not if getting a new one

Would like some thoughts on whether one would buy a smart TV or not if getting a new tv.
What are the big advantages and would you spend the money to buy smart or larger size?

Villager Audio Video 01-25-2015 11:41 PM

It's hard to buy a display today without network streaming services. I had a customer that just bought a few (3) 60" Vizio E series TV's in the 60" size for under $700 each . They have all the smart apps and full array localized diming LED backlighting.

I wouldn't buy a TV today without smart apps. It really doesn't matter if you use them or not, if it doesn't have smart features I'm sure it's all the way stripped down and will be missing stuff that does matter.

gomoho 01-26-2015 09:07 AM

After doing research on this exact subject what I learned was if there is a substantial difference in cost don't buy smart - the apps and functionality quickly become outdated with no updates provided by the manufactures. But as AV mentioned there aren't many sets being made that aren't smart.

bcusano 01-26-2015 09:18 AM

There are a lot of pros and cons. It's difficult to find a larger TV that is not a smart TV now. But there is an additional cost to smart TV over dumb. With the difference you can purchase a Roku box that turns any TV into a smart TV. It is more flexible as the apps can be updated. But you are now using a HDMI port and have a second remote control. The range of the wifi interface is typically stronger than that in a smart TV, which may or may not be an issue in your house.

Bonnevie 01-26-2015 09:18 AM

I have a smart TV but use a Roku device attached to it more than the TV's apps

Walter123 01-26-2015 09:21 AM

I guess that depends on what you want. I love having a "smart" TV connected to the internet through wifi. Netflix, you tube, amazon prime, pandora and many other very useful sites can be utilized. If you have no need for any of these sites then get a "stupid" TV. You can also get devices that plug into your HDMI slot to give you all the advantages of a smart TV. See the website I attached.

How to transform any HDTV into a smart TV | PCWorld

jimmemac 01-26-2015 09:35 AM

thanks everyone, appreciate the thoughts!

Villager Joyce 01-26-2015 10:24 AM

We are looking to purchase a new tv so this thread was helpful. Do people consider having tvs repaired or just replace them? Is there a respected tv repair shop in/near the villages?

PR1234 01-26-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesAV.com (Post 1001212)
It's hard to buy a display today without network streaming services. I had a customer that just bought a few (3) 60" Vizio E series TV's in the 60" size for under $700 each . They have all the smart apps and full array localized diming LED backlighting.

I wouldn't buy a TV today without smart apps. It really doesn't matter if you use them or not, if it doesn't have smart features I'm sure it's all the way stripped down and will be missing stuff that does matter.

That would be us! We got them at Sam's Club and they were by far the cheapest we could find!
BTW.....can't say enough GOOD things about Tom and his installations and KNOWLEDGE about all this new fangaled technology ;-) He did an outstanding job with holding our hand and taking us through the process step by step! Thanks Tom!!!!:pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

KayakerNC 01-26-2015 10:45 AM

Our not very smart TV still looked good, so we purchased a smart Blu-ray disc player. Sony (BDPS3200) because Sony plays well with Amazon Prime. Works well and is affordable.

TrudyM 01-27-2015 01:47 PM

Enough options to make your headache. I have decided (and those who have met me know this is rare) to leave this decision for the new TV house up to hubby. I am trying vey hard not to put my two cents in.
--However we have had a smart tv for two years at home that we found as an out of the box special and grabbed it without the smart feature being a factor. I find I use the Pandora feature a lot more than I thought I would. With a good speaker system attached or even a good sound bar the sound is good and this internet radio system that lets you set a profile by what is your favorite band works great for me.
What I can't figure is if the sony sound bar that has the feature to increase the volume of just the voices is something I really need. It sounds like a great idea but I can't figure out if it would really work on all shows or just movies that have the voice track separate.

Walter123 01-27-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1002047)
What I can't figure is if the sony sound bar that has the feature to increase the volume of just the voices is something I really need. It sounds like a great idea but I can't figure out if it would really work on all shows or just movies that have the voice track separate.

Look for something related to the center channel control. That's where most of the voice audio comes from.

DonH57 01-27-2015 08:38 PM

It's bad enough my smart phone gets the best of me I don't need my television whipping my backside too. Next thing you know we will have our refrigerators telling us what we need to eat and not eat.

villagetinker 01-27-2015 09:35 PM

I doubt there is any significant cost differences between a "not smart" and a smart TV, so go smart, however, if you are looking at a 4K TV, I do not think there is any content that will take advantage of the capability of the set.

2BNTV 01-28-2015 05:33 AM

This sounds like a buying choice dependent on what someone is comfortable with the technical expertise needed. Having worked in the field for years, some people want all the the new media gadgets and some people are more comfortable with not having all the bells and whistles.

Smart televisions had just hit the market and were expensive, so I bought a regular LED HDTV with a blu-ray disk player that allows me to connect to Youtube, Netflix and Amazon prime streaming services via my wifi connection. I get a great picture and services that I find very interesting, in that, it has alters my viewing habits. Televisions always come down in price as the technology evolves.

Love getting Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra concerts on Youtube, played thru my home stereo system. When I am ready to buy again, I'm pretty confident, I will go with the latest technology.