Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Use Ya Blinkah!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/use-ya-blinkah-140755/)

Sueclark 01-26-2015 08:14 AM

Use Ya Blinkah!!

While walking out and about in our neighborhood myself and also with my dogs, I cannot believe the discourteous, rude drivers who do not use their directional signals at intersections, and also just blow through stop signs, without even slowing down. This was a major topic of discussion up in New England last year, so all the electric signs on the Mass. Pike had a message which read "Use Ya Blinkah!" I even use, maybe overuse, my blinker around the rotaries so people know where I am going, no guessing games! Takes a second to flick the lever. Maybe some of the speed limit machines along Buena Vista, Morse 466, 441, etc. can have that message added. Thoughts??

JRichm369 01-26-2015 08:26 AM

Most of these people have been driving for miles with their blinkers on and have simply ran out of turning fluid.

Happinow 01-26-2015 08:39 AM

I often walk and when I see cars pulling out of roads or venues like rec centers they don't use directionals, making it very difficult for pedestrians to know where to walk and what to avoid. If I see that a car wants to turn and I'm in the way I quickly move but with no directional I don't know which way to walk to avoid them. Using your signal would sure be appreciated, not only as your fellow drivers but as a pedestrian as well.

Phanatic Luvr 01-26-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueclark (Post 1001284)
While walking out and about in our neighborhood myself and also with my dogs, I cannot believe the discourteous, rude drivers who do not use their directional signals at intersections, and also just blow through stop signs, without even slowing down. This was a major topic of discussion up in New England last year, so all the electric signs on the Mass. Pike had a message which read "Use Ya Blinkah!" I even use, maybe overuse, my blinker around the rotaries so people know where I am going, no guessing games! Takes a second to flick the lever. Maybe some of the speed limit machines along Buena Vista, Morse 466, 441, etc. can have that message added. Thoughts??

And let's add ... this mean ALL forms of transportation. I drive ALOT in TV's and I am always amazed by the lack of concern some driver's, including cars, carts, and bikes have for their fellow Villagers. Be careful out there, this thread won't change a thing.

Marlo 01-26-2015 08:50 AM

I saw this the other day - fits perfectly with Sue's remark

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47256

Barefoot 01-26-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueclark (Post 1001284)

I agree it's a problem.
Especially when a golf cart driver uses his blinker once and then leaves it on for the next hour!
A letter to the Editor in the Daily Sun, and also one in the online newspaper, would reach more residents.

Walter123 01-26-2015 09:12 AM

Just assume everyone is out to get you and never, never trust someone's blinker, especially around here. Drive very defensively and pay close attention to your surroundings.

tedquick 01-26-2015 09:20 AM

I do my best to drive as if everyone near me is an accident waiting to happen. As Walter says, "drive defensively". As sad as it may be, that really is the only way that we can protect ourselves.

Suzi 01-26-2015 10:27 AM

In addition to all the above, I find the blinkers on the golf carts inadequate in size. They are VERY hard to see especially in bright sunlight. Does someone know if larger, bolder blinker lights are available?

Walter123 01-26-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedquick (Post 1001329)
I do my best to drive as if everyone near me is an accident waiting to happen. As Walter says, "drive defensively". As sad as it may be, that really is the only way that we can protect ourselves.

:agree:

Walter123 01-26-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzi (Post 1001381)
In addition to all the above, I find the blinkers on the golf carts inadequate in size. They are VERY hard to see especially in bright sunlight. Does someone know if larger, bolder blinker lights are available?

Yeah, the newer carts have LED blinkers and in the rear some have an additional set on the roof and some also have them in the cockpit at eye level to remind the driver that they are on. I know I don't always here the beep, beep, beep if I'm listening to my MP3 through speakers. DON'T EVER USE HEADPHONES!!!

memason 01-26-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 1001387)
Yeah, the newer carts have LED blinkers and in the rear some have an additional set on the roof and some also have them in the cockpit at eye level to remind the driver that they are on. I know I don't always here the beep, beep, beep if I'm listening to my MP3 through speakers. DON'T EVER USE HEADPHONES!!!

I ALWAYS use headphones....but, I don't stick my arm out to turn like it's 1950... I used those new fangled things called electronic turn signals... :laugh:

outlaw 01-26-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzi (Post 1001381)

Try Carts and clubs in Ocala. They install LED blinkers on the windshield vertical support inside and out. It provides a better view for others to see, and it reminds the driver that his/her blinker is on.

saratogaman 01-26-2015 10:37 AM

I have a neighbor who refuses to use her turn signals: "I don't want people to know where I'm going."
Try to reason with that!

graciegirl 01-26-2015 10:40 AM

Oye. Eight more weeks.