Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Club Grips (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/club-grips-140785/)

Walter123 01-26-2015 10:47 AM

Club Grips

I replaced the grips on my clubs myself yesterday. It's very easy to do if you have a vise. I got 13 Golf Pride grips with the install kit from Amazon for 80 bucks. It even came with a rubber gizmo to hold the club in your vise. Youtube has many video's on it. Use plenty of solvent.

DonH57 01-26-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 1001411)
I replaced the grips on my clubs myself yesterday. It's very easy to do if you have a vise. I got 13 Golf Pride grips with the install kit from Amazon for 80 bucks. It even came with a rubber gizmo to hold the club in your vise. Youtube has many video's on it. Use plenty of solvent.

I did the same some of mine. Will do the others later. Not difficult to do at all and I enjoyed doing them myself.

fred53 01-26-2015 04:33 PM

Don't like the solvent they provide...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 1001411)

as it has a tough time getting the glue on the two sided tape tacky enough. I use paint thinner instead and very little is needed.

Mikeod 01-26-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1001607)
as it has a tough time getting the glue on the two sided tape tacky enough. I use paint thinner instead and very little is needed.

Or you can blow the grips on with a compressor and eliminate the solvent and the double sided tape. And you can remove and reinstall the grip if you need to.

Walter123 01-27-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1001692)
Or you can blow the grips on with a compressor and eliminate the solvent and the double sided tape. And you can remove and reinstall the grip if you need to.

Hi Mike,

This is what I like about TOTV! I didn't know about this technique so I youtubed it. All I can say is WOW, who knew! I rigged up an attachment for my compressed air sprayer and was even able to remove the old grip almost effortlessly, I built up the shaft a little with two layers of painters tape and slid the new grip right on without solvent. What a convenience! Now I can pop grips on and off to adjust the build up as I wish! Thanks sooooo much for this tip!

Mikeod 01-27-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 1001863)
Hi Mike,

This is what I like about TOTV! I didn't know about this technique so I youtubed it. All I can say is WOW, who knew! I rigged up an attachment for my compressed air sprayer and was even able to remove the old grip almost effortlessly, I built up the shaft a little with two layers of painters tape and slid the new grip right on without solvent. What a convenience! Now I can pop grips on and off to adjust the build up as I wish! Thanks sooooo much for this tip!

Just watch the pressure. Too much can balloon the grip, ruining it. I use little bursts of air to install or remove. And you can use the club right away.

Walter123 01-27-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1001871)
Just watch the pressure. Too much can balloon the grip, ruining it. I use little bursts of air to install or remove. And you can use the club right away.

Taking the old grip off, it did balloon up a little because the grip stayed sealed on the bottom. I slid a very thin metal flat head screwdriver between the grip and the shaft and then it came right off.

DaleDivine 03-01-2015 01:50 PM

I've been using the compressor method for a long time. To keep from ballooning I cut a plastic golf club tube(the kind that goes in your bag to protect clubs) about a foot long and put that over the grip/shaft before using air. I also got the adapter that slides in the end of the grip kinda like a long fat basketball needle. Cost about five bucks at Harbor Freight. This is the best method ever. Takes about 10 minutes to do a set of 13 and they are ready to play with right away. No waiting for solvent to dry.

Mikeod 03-01-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 1021439)
I've been using the compressor method for a long time. To keep from ballooning I cut a plastic golf club tube(the kind that goes in your bag to protect clubs) about a foot long and put that over the grip/shaft before using air. I also got the adapter that slides in the end of the grip kinda like a long fat basketball needle. Cost about five bucks at Harbor Freight. This is the best method ever. Takes about 10 minutes to do a set of 13 and they are ready to play with right away. No waiting for solvent to dry.

I may be a little OCD, but I like that I can rotate the grip if I adjust the hosel setting on my woods. That way the grip doesn't look twisted when I do. Also, it allows me to try different grips easily, and save the grip I remove.

Cedwards38 03-01-2015 04:11 PM

....or if you are not handy or don't have the right equipment, Jim's Golf will put on new grips for $2.00 each.

kcrazorbackfan 03-14-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedwards38 (Post 1021509)
....or if you are not handy or don't have the right equipment, Jim's Golf will put on new grips for $2.00 each.

Or maybe make new friends on TOTV that can install grips. Just saying.....

I'll do it when I get down there full time.

paulascorpio 04-07-2015 08:50 PM

Brought my club to Jim's golf….$2.00 to change the grip!! Took less than 5 minutes. I was told to wait 24 hours for glue to set and ready to play!! Cheaper than buying everything yourself.