Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Maintenance items to look out for? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/maintenance-items-look-out-141093/)

JerryLBell 01-28-2015 11:36 AM

Maintenance items to look out for?

The wife and I are thinking strongly about retiring in TV in the next couple of years. By then there may be no more new homes to buy so it will probably be an existing home. Are there particular kinds of items that seem to need more maintenance or replacement than others in TV? We have a 30-year-old house now for which we've replaced siding, roof, water heater (twice), A/C & furnaces, garage doors & openers, carpeting and more. We'd like not to have to do all THAT much work on a house in TV but know there are no maintenance-free houses in the world. Is there anything in particular people have problems with there? Cheap windows, bad plumbing, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Polar Bear 01-28-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1002572)
The wife and I are thinking strongly about retiring in TV in the next couple of years. By then there may be no more new homes to buy so it will probably be an existing home...

I'm not really a good one to reply about maintenance issues, but if you much prefer a new home, I'll bet a nickel there will still be new homes available in a couple years.

An early 'welcome' to you. I'll bet another nickel you won't regret it. :)

Bogie Shooter 01-28-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

The wife and I are thinking strongly about retiring in TV in the next couple of years. By then there may be no more new homes to buy so it will probably be an existing home. Are there particular kinds of items that seem to need more maintenance or replacement than others in TV? We have a 30-year-old house now for which we've replaced siding, roof, water heater (twice), A/C & furnaces, garage doors & openers, carpeting and more. We'd like not to have to do all THAT much work on a house in TV but know there are no maintenance-free houses in the world. Is there anything in particular people have problems with there? Cheap windows, bad plumbing, etc.?

You really answered your question with the things you recently had to do.
Or,
Have a home inspection done on any resale home. That would point out what may or may not be needed.

jnieman 01-28-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

The newer the home, I think the less that has to be replaced. Our home is nearing 8 years old and we've repaired the air conditioner under warranty one time and that's the only thing so far. I expect in the next 5 years to have to replace our appliances. We did buy a 10 year warranty on the air conditioner. When one buys a home I think there are companies that sell whole house warranties that cover all major appliances, heating systems, pools, etc. American Home Warranty is one of those companies. You can get a quote by going to their website. I have not used them, so I don't endorse them. I'm just giving you an example of one.

TrudyM 01-28-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1002617)
The newer the home, I think the less that has to be replaced. Our home is nearing 8 years old and we've repaired the air conditioner under warranty one time and that's the only thing so far. I expect in the next 5 years to have to replace our appliances. We did buy a 10 year warranty on the air conditioner. When one buys a home I think there are companies that sell whole house warranties that cover all major appliances, heating systems, pools, etc. American Home Warranty is one of those companies. You can get a quote by going to their website. I have not used them, so I don't endorse them. I'm just giving you an example of one.

Getting a home warranty when you purchase helps cover the it's about to die issue but the renewal fees are high and they don't cover anything that was not perfectly maintained or installed incorrectly. I have had them 5 times and only once did they cover what came up (a range that died) All plumbing and electrical issues they said were either lack of maintenance or incorrect install neither of witch they cover, this is in 5 different states. Bank the amount of the premium and then you have a little money saved to help cover.