Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Facilities & non-residents (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/facilities-non-residents-141096/)

JerryLBell 01-28-2015 11:46 AM

Facilities & non-residents

The wife and I are 90% convinced that TV is where we want to retire to but are investigating other communities just to be sure. A few in the local area strongly imply on their websites that they don't really need to have all the recreational facilities that you might want because they are so close to TV. That makes it sound like non-residents can come use what's in TV. I can see that being true for shopping and maybe the live outdoor music, and perhaps can see paying green fees to play on the free-for-residents golf courses, but can non-residents join clubs, take classes or use rec centers, swimming pools and the like? If not (and that's really the answer I'm expecting), how do you prove residency to use these facilities?

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful (or even just amusing) answers!

Walter123 01-28-2015 11:51 AM

but can non-residents join clubs, take classes or use rec centers, swimming pools and the like?

No, but you can get a guest card for friends for golf and the swimming pools but not the rec pools.

how do you prove residency to use these facilities?[/QUOTE]

With your Villages ID card.

outahere 01-28-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1002585)
I can see that being true for shopping and maybe the live outdoor music, and perhaps can see paying green fees to play on the free-for-residents golf courses, but can non-residents join clubs, take classes or use rec centers, swimming pools and the like? If not (and that's really the answer I'm expecting), how do you prove residency to use these facilities?

When you close on your home you will be issued a photo ID Villages Resident ID card. Non-residents are not allowed to use any facility, join clubs, take classes, use the pools, etc. Every time we have gone to a class they have asked to see our resident IDs. If you have guests visit, you can get them a Guest ID and they can use everything but the sports pools, which are residents only.

scrapple 01-28-2015 12:02 PM

Guest pass

Quote:

Originally Posted by outahere (Post 1002588)
If you have guests visit, you can get them a Guest ID and they can use everything but the sports pools, which are residents only.

That is technically true, but the "guest" must be from out of the area. If you buy anything in the area, you cannot obtain a guest pass. So you still would be unable to participate in anything except public events like music on the square or shopping

Gerald 01-28-2015 12:03 PM

Residents have ID's with numbers and photos on them that must be used for golf, rec centers, clubs, social events, swimming pools, etc. A visiter who has a friend in the villages can sponsor a few games of golf assuming (very limited number), that the person does not live anywhere near the villages. The cost for visiter for golf is much higher.

Everyone knows that live around the villages. that you can't use the villages for clubs or recreation etc.. The people who sell homes outside the villages know that as well. They simple imply what is not true. ask the straight forward question to them, and (get it in writing) will always get you a no you can't really use the villages.
You can go to the villages for movies, shopping, out door music, and eating. We love outsiders to spend their money here and keep our costs down.

Bogie Shooter 01-28-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1002585)
The wife and I are 90% convinced that TV is where we want to retire to but are investigating other communities just to be sure. A few in the local area strongly imply on their websites that they don't really need to have all the recreational facilities that you might want because they are so close to TV. That makes it sound like non-residents can come use what's in TV. I can see that being true for shopping and maybe the live outdoor music, and perhaps can see paying green fees to play on the free-for-residents golf courses, but can non-residents join clubs, take classes or use rec centers, swimming pools and the like? If not (and that's really the answer I'm expecting), how do you prove residency to use these facilities?

This is a great source of information about The Villages.
Village Community Development Districts

Sandtrap328 01-28-2015 12:20 PM

The 3 counties of Lake, Sumter, and Marion are the ones where you cannot get a guest pass.

Like the other posters have said, people in the nearby areas cannot be club members, join in rec center activities, use the swimming pools, tennis courts, any recreational stuff, etc. The championship golf courses are available depending on time requested and their cost is higher than for Villagers. Executive golf would NOT be available.

Of course, the nightly entertainment is for anyone to enjoy as are shops and restaurants.

Bogie Shooter 01-28-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1002603)
The 3 counties of Lake, Sumter, and Marion are the ones where you cannot get a guest pass.

A resident who has a son, daughter,
grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses) who reside in Lake, Marion or
Sumter counties may apply for an In-Area Guest ID card.

outahere 01-28-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1002603)

True, however a resident can get an "in area" guest pass for those living in those 3 counties. The difference is that a resident (with a resident ID) must accompany those guests with an in-area pass. We had to do that for my college aged son when we moved here and were renting while house hunting. Now that we are owners, he has a non-owners resident ID which is valid for everything.

folkh 01-28-2015 12:31 PM

if someone lives in Lake, Sumter or Marion County and they play golf in The Villages?

JerryLBell 01-28-2015 01:03 PM

This all confirms my suspicions and makes me even less interested in those other communities. Thanks, all!

Sandtrap328 01-28-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outahere (Post 1002611)
True, however a resident can get an "in area" guest pass for those living in those 3 counties. The difference is that a resident (with a resident ID) must accompany those guests with an in-area pass. We had to do that for my college aged son when we moved here and were renting while house hunting. Now that we are owners, he has a non-owners resident ID which is valid for everything.

Like Bogie says, the only ones who can obtain the in-area guest pass are children (and their spouse) and grandkids. Parents and siblings in the 3 counties are not eligible for in-area guest passes and cannot use Villages perks.

Mikeod 01-28-2015 02:59 PM

Non-residents can play the championship courses, but the fees are so much higher than courses outside that I can't imagine there is any significant outside play.

kstew43 01-28-2015 03:14 PM

i also believe non-villagers can become members of the championship courses/country club, and non-villagers can only take classes at the college of learning knowledge. The fee's are maybe a little higher than the villagers pay. They can also join the country club and play there courses.

thats the way I understand it.......

Bogie Shooter 01-28-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkh (Post 1002612)
if someone lives in Lake, Sumter or Marion County and they play golf in The Villages?

Champs yes, exec no. Exec with in-area ID.