Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Wild boar....oh my! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/wild-boar-oh-my-141162/)

Happinow 01-28-2015 07:28 PM

Wild boar....oh my!

This evening, for the first time I saw one of those wild boars on Ft. Walton golf course. We live on the 7th tee and I happened to look out the back window and at first I thought it was a dog....then I looked closer and sure enough it was a boar. I'm sure he lives in that tall grass behind the house close to the course. Gave me the willies!!!

raynitsche 01-28-2015 07:40 PM

They do a ton of damage to the ground looking for food.

cquick 01-28-2015 07:45 PM

oh my !

Taltarzac725 01-28-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 1002839)
This evening, for the first time I saw one of those wild boars on Ft. Walton golf course. We live on the 7th tee and I happened to look out the back window and at first I thought it was a dog....then I looked closer and sure enough it was a boar. I'm sure he lives in that tall grass behind the house close to the course. Gave me the willies!!!

Big dog or small dog size?

kittygilchrist 01-28-2015 08:10 PM

Native floridian here. Boars are dangerous. Stsy away and report them to community watch.

Happinow 01-28-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1002858)
Big dog or small dog size?

Average size...probably about size of a husky dog but fatter! I don't know cause I wasn't about to go out to get a closer look. But from inside my house that's about how it looked.

shcisamax 01-28-2015 08:22 PM

My neighbors have seen him and I am sure he is around because every time I let our aussie out, he now tries to run on to the golf course focussed with his nose sniffing the ground. Never did that before. Gators and boars and bears Oh my!

virgind 01-28-2015 08:23 PM

They are good eatin

dbussone 01-28-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgind (Post 1002882)
They are good eatin

Excellent thought. Pig roast for the SuperBowl.

kittygilchrist 01-28-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcisamax (Post 1002881)
My neighbors have seen him and I am sure he is around because every time I let our aussie out, he now tries to run on to the golf course focussed with his nose sniffing the ground. Never did that before. Gators and boars and bears Oh my!

Nononono!
You must not tolerate a wild boar in your community, unless you truly live in "hog valley" which exists in the ocala forest area.
Pls call for help with removal. Good local folks get paid to get hogs away from residences.

mac 01-28-2015 08:53 PM

There was a boar trap in the tall grass near that house on Walton #1 on Sunday .

Happinow 01-28-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygilchrist (Post 1002885)
Nononono!
You must not tolerate a wild boar in your community, unless you truly live in "hog valley" which exists in the ocala forest area.
Pls call for help with removal. Good local folks get paid to get hogs away from residences.

It was about 5:30 and I had no idea who to call and my guess was that nobody would be available at that hour. I will call someone tomorrow to let them know the boar was on this side of the course to see if they can set a trap here as well.

Jdmiata 01-28-2015 10:03 PM

My golf group and I have seen many signs of wild boar on Peilcan , Heron, Mangrove and Sweetgum exec courses. Pig droppings , ground damage and even heard some grunting. No sightings .....yet.