Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   How do you keep up with the new technology? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/how-do-you-keep-up-new-technology-141511/)

lpkshop 01-31-2015 12:47 PM

How do you keep up with the new technology?

:shrug:Just retired a bit over a year and was wondering how you keep up with the new technologies including social media. I always got the new info from the kids I worked with. So many folks I've met so far are way off the technology grid. I worry about becoming my mom... "Can you come over and set up my VCR".

jnieman 01-31-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpkshop (Post 1004189)
:shrug:Just retired a bit over a year and was wondering how you keep up with the new technologies including social media. I always got the new info from the kids I worked with. So many folks I've met so far are way off the technology grid. I worry about becoming my mom... "Can you come over and set up my VCR".

That was one of my biggest fears of retirement. I spent so many years taking software classes and was a whiz at so many programs. I always was the one everyone went to with their questions. When we moved here I find it hard to relate sometimes to others who just plain don't care about technology and barely know how to cut and paste or do e-mail. I think the only way is to continue on and consider it a hobby. I spend a few hours a day on the computer doing all kinds of things including Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, MS Word, Excel, etc. I also make my own greeting cards with a Hallmark program. I always troubleshoot my own computers as well and we have three. I say if it truly interests you, you can join the Villages Computer Club or find others who share your interests. I even took a class at the Villages Lifelong Learning Center for Picasa on how to organize my photos. There are tons of classes there. I also love new gadgets and usually will buy whatever is hot at the moment.

sunnyatlast 01-31-2015 01:27 PM

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about keeping up with technology. People buy and learn about what they want, enjoy, or need for a particular purpose or task.

If you know how to run internet, there's video instruction for pretty much any subject under the sun, on youtube for example. I know people who do their own auto repairs to save a lot of money, by learning from online youtube and other videos.

NYGUY 01-31-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpkshop (Post 1004189)

You are asking questions...that tells me you will be OK. Don't avoid technology, jump right in, sign up for Facebook or Twitter, download programs or apps that interest you or that can make life easier or are just plain fun....you will learn by trial and error, also, take a class at the Lifetime Learning College. It won't be long before you will be showing everybody else how to do it!!

tomwed 01-31-2015 04:14 PM

This helps me. I go to This Week in Tech. click here

This Week in Tech–casually referred to as TWiT, is the weekly flagship netcast and namesake of the TWiT.tv network. It is hosted by Leo Laporte. It features roundtable discussions and debates surrounding current technology news and reviews, with a particular focus on consumer electronics and the Internet.
[borrowed from wikipedia]

I also use YouTube. The Villages have a wonderful computer club and great lectures and lessons. Track them down. click here

karostay 01-31-2015 04:50 PM

I don't

queasy27 01-31-2015 05:25 PM

If you don't already, you can sign up for tech newsfeeds or alerts such as the NY Times articles on technology news.

The Ask Leo website also has an email newsletter which is geared more towards tips, tricks and ideas. You can read through some of the archives to get a sense of what he covers.