Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pro Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/)
-   -   Just wondering why Villages doesn't host PGA or LPGA event? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/just-wondering-why-villages-doesnt-host-pga-lpga-event-141620/)

jebartle 02-01-2015 07:24 AM

Just wondering why Villages doesn't host PGA or LPGA event?

Maybe I should be careful what I "ask"? I know we have had Senior LPGA event.. Having our courses lined with homes a reason? Just wondering! The last LPGA Coates event was an overwhelming success because of Village participation, why not have an event here!

ureout 02-01-2015 07:33 AM

it's all about $$$$$$ when they had the senior ladies event here there was no way to control the viewers.....unlike Ocala where you only had 1 entrance to enter and purchase tickets here probably 80% or more were just villagers who walked and drove up on the golf carts and watched for free

NYGUY 02-05-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ureout (Post 1004531)
it's all about $$$$$$ when they had the senior ladies event here there was no way to control the viewers.....unlike Ocala where you only had 1 entrance to enter and purchase tickets here probably 80% or more were just villagers who walked and drove up on the golf carts and watched for free

When Nancy Lopez was here last year, she told me they were never given a reason why the Senior LPGA event did not return here.

JBarracks 02-06-2015 07:34 AM

Would you want the course closed for a few weeks or longer so that it can be groomed to prime condition for the tournament? I don't think most village golfers would approve of the closure.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 02-06-2015 07:52 AM

It's usually about sponsorship and the size of the market. What I find strange about this are is that although The Villages is the largest population center between Ocala and Leesburg, Ocala seems to be where businesses choose to locate. I don't know if it's the fact that many businesses don't realize that The Villages is larger than Ocala and Leesburg combined or if it's because I-75 runs right through Ocala.
Ocala just hosted an LPGA event. The senior LPGA doesn't draw galleries, although with the demographics of TV they might. They had an event in Boston and I believe that tickets were free. They raised a lot of money for charity through sponsorship.

Do they still exist?

Challenger 02-06-2015 08:03 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Lots of implications over many weeks.

golf2140 02-06-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1007478)
Be careful what you wish for. Lots of implications over many weeks.

Amen, plus not enough room for hospitality tents.

memason 02-06-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1007476)
It's usually about sponsorship and the size of the market. What I find strange about this are is that although The Villages is the largest population center between Ocala and Leesburg, Ocala seems to be where businesses choose to locate. I don't know if it's the fact that many businesses don't realize that The Villages is larger than Ocala and Leesburg combined or if it's because I-75 runs right through Ocala.
Ocala just hosted an LPGA event. The senior LPGA doesn't draw galleries, although with the demographics of TV they might. They had an event in Boston and I believe that tickets were free. They raised a lot of money for charity through sponsorship.

Do they still exist?

I think the biggest reason businesses don't locate in the Villages is because of the rather homogenous demographic... Just not enough families to support most businesses...

Just my thoughts

mulligan 02-06-2015 11:42 AM

Multiple reasons why an LPGA event probably won't happen here. Course closure (as already stated), parking for a large multi-day crowd, lack of high end hotels for players, sponsors, officials, etc. just to name a few.

newguyintv 02-06-2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBarracks (Post 1007472)
Would you want the course closed for a few weeks or longer so that it can be groomed to prime condition for the tournament? I don't think most village golfers would approve of the closure.

Uhh! We do have twelve here you know!

newguyintv 02-06-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1007667)
Multiple reasons why an LPGA event probably won't happen here. Course closure (as already stated), parking for a large multi-day crowd, lack of high end hotels for players, sponsors, officials, etc. just to name a few.

Etc, etc, etc!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 02-06-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 1007644)
I think the biggest reason businesses don't locate in the Villages is because of the rather homogenous demographic... Just not enough families to support most businesses...

Just my thoughts

I agree. It's that in addition to the fact that we're not really near a major highway. Costco and the big box stores want to be near an interstate on/off ramp. Even the big chain stores that we have here and small in comparison to the same stores in other location. We just went to Sam's Club in Ocala a few days ago and I was surprised to see how much bigger it is than the one here. We ended up going there because they had an item that they didn't have at the Lady Lake Sam's.

rubicon 02-06-2015 02:29 PM

I believe memason has captured the main reason. We all have differing views and in mine it The Villages does not seem to operate like a city nor does it feel like a city. The Villages seems more like a Hollywood stage set. I mean I expect that some big wind is going to come along and blow over all the plywood and we are going to find ourselves in gigantic empty field. Hmmm maybe there is a viable science fiction book in that thought. Need to explore it more:icon_wink: