Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Landscaping Estimates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/landscaping-estimates-141826/)

gomsiepop 02-02-2015 01:24 PM

Landscaping Estimates

I am in the process of getting estimates from various landscapers that have gotten good reviews on Talk of the Villages. All I can say is "WOW". Four estimates have been $19,400, $21,000, $25,000 and $30,000. I have tried to remain consistent telling the landscapers what I want done. How is it possible that the costs are all over the place? If anyone can tell me their experience with a particular landscaper please tell me. So far the landscapers with the above estimates are Evergreen, McGowan, Jamie's, JG Landscapers and Custom Scapes. I now have an appointment with TerraScape scheduled. Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated.

TNLAKEPANDA 02-02-2015 01:31 PM

Try Arrendondo... they just finished at our house for less than half that price.

JR

linda_sears 02-02-2015 01:34 PM

Matt Smith of Smitty Lawn and Tree is excellent and his prices are reasonable. 352-561-1999. Been using him and recommending him for years.

jimbo2012 02-02-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomsiepop (Post 1005240)
I am in the process of getting estimates from various landscapers that have gotten good reviews on Talk of the Villages. All I can say is "WOW". Four estimates have been $19,400, $21,000, $25,000 and $30,000. I have tried to remain consistent telling the landscapers what I want done. .

Bound to get inaccurate quotes or get the short end of the deal

You can't TELL them what you want!!!

You need to get in writing what you want sketch out the lot, draw the plants with sizes etc.

hand it each one then you're getting bids on same work

Be mindful that a $20,000 job has a cost includinding overhead of about $10K

So negotiate.

graciegirl 02-02-2015 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gomsiepop (Post 1005240)
I am in the process of getting estimates from various landscapers that have gotten good reviews on Talk of the Villages. All I can say is "WOW". Four estimates have been $19,400, $21,000, $25,000 and $30,000. I have tried to remain consistent telling the landscapers what I want done. How is it possible that the costs are all over the place? If anyone can tell me their experience with a particular landscaper please tell me. So far the landscapers with the above estimates are Evergreen, McGowan, Jamie's, JG Landscapers and Custom Scapes. I now have an appointment with TerraScape scheduled. Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated.

I sent you a P.M.

billethkid 02-02-2015 02:36 PM

make sure you understand the growth rate of what you are putting in.

Those small-ish plants will be very large in 2 years.

Too many people put in the plants as if they were going to remain the same size as day one.

Plants, including the weeds grow 24 hours a day most of the year.

While the folks you have quoting will not like the request, have them break it down for you in detail. Plants at $ each. Mulch x square feet times $/square foot. If they will not do it then scratch them.

DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Bryan 02-03-2015 06:48 AM

Be sure to check with Seniors Vs Crime, the BBB, and the Florida Division of Consumer Services before making your final choice. "Lowball" bids are not uncommon. Also visit the Seniors Vs Crime Office - they have a handout on Landscapers that is very useful and one on Contracts that is also useful. That big of a job, milestone payments may be in order but always keep about 25% of the total contract as the final payment after you inspect everything and it meets your needs.

3377en 02-03-2015 08:23 AM

We used Maintenance By Evergreen after getting many estimates, around 6 of them. They also varied greatly for what I asked for. Louis is very customer oriented and extremely competent. My wife changed things several times during the final planning. We have received all positive comments from our neighbors and friends. His water feature came out great. I can send you pics if you want. Many of my neighbors have also used him, no complaints.

yabbadu 02-03-2015 11:34 AM

Whatever you do.....DO NOT PAY any UPFRONT Money....................

dewilson58 02-03-2015 11:51 AM

Have them itemize the bid............might be helpful. Easy to have $5k to $10k in rock and stone. Palms can up quickly.

With a detailed bid, you can compare and ask questions.

I would be surprised if someone has 50% overhead built in.

Good Luck

Barefoot 02-03-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1005275)
You can't TELL them what you want!!!

Another opinion - I think you need to tell them exactly what you want (unless you don't know).
In our case, we wanted a double Sylvester palm with a diamond cut trunk, among other things.
We also wanted a center island with a certain type of rock, hedging, etc.
We were very specific in our wants, however our estimates also varied quite a bit.
I had one interesting session with a local landscaper, who is well known for his temper.
The estimate ended when he suddenly had a temper tantrum and threatened me.

We ended up using Terrascape (back in 2011). We worked closely with the Nursery Manager, Bonnie.
We went to their landscaping store on CR 301 and chose the double palm we wanted, as well as shrubs and large rocks.
Bonnie was great, and Terrascape did a good job for us.

WaterSun 04-03-2015 05:40 PM

I highly recommend Village Palms. They're competitively priced. You'll receive a digital graphic of the landscape design and an estimate, AFTER they meet with you at your home, take photos of your property, & listen to your ideas. You'll pay a down payment on the job. (I don't feel this is unusual as long a the down payment isn't exorbitant.) They'll share the design with you at at meeting in their offices and via email in a PDF. VP is very, very good. You know exactly what you're getting.

You may study the design at your leisure and in your own home. If the installation date is enough in the future, you may change the design, plants, and any hardscape (curbing or stacked-stone).

raynan 04-03-2015 05:49 PM

Try Village Palms. You can even go to their nursery on 466 over by Rolling Acres Rd and pick out what you want or have them pick it out. You can see alternatives that may be less expensive. They'll come to your home and you describe what you want. They will design it and you'll meet at their office to see it on a large TV screen and you can move things or change things and you will get an exact price. No surprises. Very good company to deal with.

RayAmb 04-14-2015 07:48 PM

We used TerraScape and are having terrible problems with them. We did not do our homework as we were new and did not know where to go check. Bad decision to use them for us. We were in a hurry. Seniors vs Crime can give you many - many - many unresolved complaints against them. Other web sites have them with an F rating and BBB is not correct on their complaint history with them. I know of two issues unresolved with BBB. hope you don't join the group. It's a bad experience.......

RayAmb

pbkmaine 04-14-2015 08:18 PM

Has anyone used Fernview Farms?