Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Privacy issue in Stoneybrook Model Courtyard Villa (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/privacy-issue-stoneybrook-model-courtyard-villa-142046/)

CassieInVa 02-04-2015 12:07 AM

Privacy issue in Stoneybrook Model Courtyard Villa

I recently bought a corner lot Villa with a slight twist in the floor plan. All three bedrooms are on the same side vs most models with guest bedroom on opposite side of the hall.

When I stand in my bedroom, I'm in direct sight line of the front door, which is glass. I was horrified when I first noticed this and am looking at options. And before you say that there is no way anyone could really see into the house that far, I sent my husband out front at night while I stood in bedroom with a lamp on and he could easily see how many fingers I was holding up. This is a horrible design/floor plan issue.

Anyone else have this same variation of a Stoneybrook, and if so, how did you solve this issue? I don't want to keep the bedroom door closed day and night (and I wouldn't remember to anyway). Only thing I can think of is either a shade for the door (which would not look great) or a solid door replacement.

Still can't believe they built this floor plan with a glass front door. thoughts?

Nightengale212 02-04-2015 02:47 AM

Have the glass frosted which should give you the privacy you are looking for.

Bonanza 02-04-2015 03:24 AM

Is a decorative three or four panel screen an option for blocking the view while still permitting access to your bedroom?

dave harris 02-04-2015 08:43 AM

glass

You can buy a applique from Decorative Films, LLC. Decorative Films - Decorative Window Films, Stained Glass, Privacy. I've seen them installed, very beautiful.

graciegirl 02-04-2015 08:53 AM

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some press on decorative film, mentioned above, and it makes the glass look frosted. We had clear panels on each side of our front door in Hadley and only used the film when we would go back to Ohio when we were snowbirds.

CassieInVa 02-04-2015 10:05 AM

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I don't want anything too busy - as far as decals because the door is already very decorative leaded type glass and very ornate. The option of the screen/room divider is one I thought of, but due to location, it would be in a very awkward place. I will give it some more thought though.

Fred, I don't agree that my "lack of imagination" is the issue. The front door and side light (side light is out of sight line) are very nice and decorative but has some clear glass portions easily seen through. I have a great imagination, but don't want to "junk" up my lovely new home with a strange window treatment. I was just wondering if I'm the only one with this strange layout and wanted to see what others have done.

Are solid entry doors even permitted here? Not sure what that would even look like?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate the help.

villagetinker 02-04-2015 11:17 AM

Perhaps you could put the frosted film in just the areas with the clear glass, this would keep your stained glass effect intact, and block the line of sight.

NotGolfer 02-04-2015 11:32 AM

Do your neighbors have a similar situation as you do? Maybe you could ask them what they did to take care of this issue. I think the idea of the "frosted" glass-look-film would be lovely! Still lets the light in and noone can "see". Yes, there are solid doors in T.V. ---there are many. We have one ourselves and sometimes I wish we had your delimma of having a window in it.

CassieInVa 02-04-2015 11:56 AM

I will ask neighbors as I meet them. I'm going to look into the frosting as well. Thanks!

CFrance 02-04-2015 12:39 PM

I wold hesitate to put a solid door in. Think how much light you would be blocking. Our house is oriented east (back) and west (front). In the afternoon our kitchen gets dark, and we appreciate the light coming through the door window. Of course, you could always put a sun tube in. We personally don't care for the white-type light that comes through the sun tubes.

A fabric shade that could be left up during the day and lowered at night would be my choice. We had small-pleat fabric shades on our windows in MI that could be raised from either top or bottom. Loved them.

graciegirl 02-04-2015 12:48 PM

They have PLAIN film, not like stained glass, no color, no design, no swirls, just a frosted look and it goes on, and it comes off. You can reuse it time and time again.

Artscape 36 in. x 72 in. Etched Glass Decorative Window Film-01-0122 - The Home Depot

CassieInVa 02-04-2015 01:27 PM

CFrance, I'm looking into a honeycomb type pleated blind that will stay raised during the day and come down at night. It isn't too bulky when pulled up - at least not as bad as some options.

Gracie I will def. go check out the frosted idea - sounds viable especially if I can remove and replace ocassionally!

kcrazorbackfan 02-04-2015 02:07 PM

I've got to ask this this since no one else has, did you buy the villa sight unseen, as is the way we bought our home, and not discover this until you moved in?

The film is the way to go, we put it in the sidelights of our door in KC to keep people from looking into the home.

CassieInVa 02-04-2015 05:17 PM

Well, we saw it in person first. But, you know, when you are looking through the rooms and they are far back from the front door, you just don't think to look at things like that. The Master Bedroom is even down a short hall way with a turn - but, as I said, even with that - it is still a straight shot to the front door.

It would not have stopped us from buying - as the villa has a large expansion, over sized lot and tons of upgrades - it is just an oddity. I am curious to see if there are any others with this configuration.

I think the film will be best option - and I guess even though the sidelight is not really the issue, I will put film on that as well to keep it looking nice and consistent.

dbussone 02-04-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 1006471)
CFrance, I'm looking into a honeycomb type pleated blind that will stay raised during the day and come down at night. It isn't too bulky when pulled up - at least not as bad as some options.

Gracie I will def. go check out the frosted idea - sounds viable especially if I can remove and replace ocassionally!

We had honeycomb blinds in another FL home and found them to accomplish our (and your) purpose very well