Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Great VA story (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/great-va-story-142117/)

Sandtrap328 02-04-2015 12:45 PM

Great VA story

On page A18 of The Daily Sun today, there is a wonderful story of compassion by a VA male nurse at the VA Salisbury, NC.

A homeless veteran came in late one night to the ER with huge blisters on the soles of his feet. The nurse washes, cleanses, and dresses the oozing blisters, gives him fresh socks from a supply room but notices the ragged sneakers of the veteran. The soles were unglued and flopping with no support or protection. The nurse took off his own, nearly new, Nikes, and laced them onto the homeless veteran's feet.

Bonnevie 02-04-2015 03:22 PM

I'm so glad that got reported. That kind of stuff happens all the time but no one hears about it. On one of my inpatient psych wards at a VA hospital, the nurses always bought reader glasses to have on hand for the patients. many of the patients were homeless, came in with nothing, and couldn't read any of the books available to them because they had no reading glasses The nurses just bought them on their own. We also brought in clothes to donate to "the closet" where patients could go to if they needed clothes. So glad to have VA employees displayed in a good light instead of what's been reported lately. and by the way, they gave the glasses to the patient when they left. Most of the times they'd be readmitted later on and of course, no longer had the glasses. the nurses just gave them more and when the supply got down low, they went out and bought more from their own pockets.

Nightengale212 02-06-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1006436)
On page A18 of The Daily Sun today, there is a wonderful story of compassion by a VA male nurse at the VA Salisbury, NC.

A homeless veteran came in late one night to the ER with huge blisters on the soles of his feet. The nurse washes, cleanses, and dresses the oozing blisters, gives him fresh socks from a supply room but notices the ragged sneakers of the veteran. The soles were unglued and flopping with no support or protection. The nurse took off his own, nearly new, Nikes, and laced them onto the homeless veteran's feet.

Kudos to a fellow VA Nurse for providing exceptional care to a Vet in need.

dbussone 02-06-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightengale212 (Post 1007806)
Kudos to a fellow VA Nurse for providing exceptional care to a Vet in need.

Thanks to ALL professional nurses who go above and beyond.

Greg Nelson 02-06-2015 04:08 PM

I've had excellent care at the VA...

graciegirl 02-06-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1007811)
Thanks to ALL professional nurses who go above and beyond.

And to all kind people who quietly try to help. I have run across so many in The Villages. I am so very fortunate to know so many good people.