Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Real Estate For Rent (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/real-estate-rent-85/)
-   -   Questions re: renting in the villages long term w dogs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/real-estate-rent-85/questions-re-renting-villages-long-term-w-dogs-142157/)

downsouth95 02-04-2015 05:07 PM

Questions re: renting in the villages long term w dogs

Hello,
I wasn't sure where to ask this question on the forum. I just joined and did try performing a search but didn't come up with anything to answer my questions. My husband (retired) and I (work from home job), live in the orlando area and would like to now live in the villages. We weren't able to before as we had 3 large older dogs (acquired one from a friend that passed away from cancer) my oldest dog passed away in 2014. We now have two large older dogs 11 and 9. I have two questions -
1) when you rent in the villages do you still have access to all the amenities that homeowners have?
2) are there ever any courtyard villas (with wall or fence) that allow two well behaved dogs, for long-term rental (year to year lease)
We are not in the position to purchase but would love to rent.
Let me know if this belongs somewhere else and I will post there.
Thank you!
Pat B

baustgen 02-04-2015 05:21 PM

1. When you rent the owner turns in his owners card and you and your husband get a temporary card that gives you all the privileges of an owner. 2. There are courtyard villas for rent. It is up to the owner to decide whether to rent to two large dogs. Perhaps a large damage deposit will convince the owner to rent to you.

Abby10 02-04-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth95 (Post 1006583)
Hello,
I wasn't sure where to ask this question on the forum. I just joined and did try performing a search but didn't come up with anything to answer my questions. My husband (retired) and I (work from home job), live in the orlando area and would like to now live in the villages. We weren't able to before as we had 3 large older dogs (acquired one from a friend that passed away from cancer) my oldest dog passed away in 2014. We now have two large older dogs 11 and 9. I have two questions -
1) when you rent in the villages do you still have access to all the amenities that homeowners have?
2) are there ever any courtyard villas (with wall or fence) that allow two well behaved dogs, for long-term rental (year to year lease)
We are not in the position to purchase but would love to rent.
Let me know if this belongs somewhere else and I will post there.
Thank you!
Pat B

Hi Pat and welcome to TOTV. I will try to answer your questions. Generally when you rent in The Villages, the homeowners will relinquish their ID's on the rental property so that you can have full access to all amenities as if you were a homeowner. Regarding pets - only 2 are permitted per household to my knowledge. There are courtyard villa homes in TV that would serve the purpose that you desire. The problem may be finding someone who will allow renters with pets. It's not impossible, but having pets may limit your options. You could start by doing a search at this website - The Villages 4 Rent, Rentals in The Villages. I would pick the "search all rentals" option on the left hand side, then you can select the options that would best suit your needs. Best wishes in finding a place.

Susan G 02-04-2015 06:19 PM

Yes, there are CYV that will rent with 2 dogs. I was lucky enough to find one when I moved here before mine was ready (Thanks Audrey!) She is no longer renting her villa, but I'm sure you can find something, possibly with a larger security deposit/cleaning fee.

And should you decide to purchase in TV, you can bring ALL the dogs you have at the time. I know someone who bought a villa that has 5 dogs. TV was well aware & the "rule" is, as those animals pass on, you can not add new animals above the established limit of two per household.

Hope that helps. When you are ready, post your request to rent on TOTV and you'll probably get a phone call. It would help to furnish the potential landlord photos of your pooches - that's what I did.

Sable99 02-04-2015 06:20 PM

I signed a form that allowed my long term renters to get non-owner resident IDs. These IDs are a different color and I believe they have to be renewed every two years It gives them the same privileges. They just don't have to renew their IDs all the time.

Since Mom and I rent our home as a long-term rental I have to rent when we visit TV. I've found a few that takes dogs but most only allow only one small dog. Hardly anyone rents to renters with cats and that is why we only make it to TV for two weeks at a time!

As for our home, renters can have one small dog with my approval.

downsouth95 02-05-2015 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Someone has already responded. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Pat B.

Bogie Shooter 02-05-2015 10:17 AM

5 dogs! That's like a kennel................

Susan G 02-05-2015 03:39 PM

You'd Be Surprised...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1006936)
5 dogs! That's like a kennel................

You would be surprised how many Villagers have that many dogs and even MORE cats. Anything goes for a $ale Bogie Shooter!!

Abby10 02-05-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth95 (Post 1006901)
Thank you all for your responses. Someone has already responded. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Pat B.

Great news, downsouth! Hope all works out for you and everyone can soon be saying, "Welcome to The Villages!"

Susan G 02-05-2015 08:12 PM

Hoping you and your precious pooches can join us soon in sunny Florida!!