Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   AK-47's (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ak-47s-142243/)

Sandtrap328 02-05-2015 11:17 AM

AK-47's

After I read an article in today's Daily Sun about an 18 year old boy accidently shooting a friend with an AK-47 (pointed the gun at the friend and pulled the trigger), I Googled to see if owning an AK-47 was legal in Florida.

It is legal to own a semi-automatic AK-47 if you are at least 18 years old.

Amazing, but llegal.

graciegirl 02-05-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1006985)
After I read an article in today's Daily Sun about an 18 year old boy accidently shooting a friend with an AK-47 (pointed the gun at the friend and pulled the trigger), I Googled to see if owning an AK-47 was legal in Florida.

Amazing, but llegal.

What do you see as the answer? If they ban guns, then only the bad guys will have them. I don't have a gun but I might change my mind.

dbussone 02-05-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1006985)

Amazing, but llegal.

There are many variations of the so called AK-47. Most people think of the menacing picture of a carbine with a curved ammunition magazine. There are variants made in many countries.

I have seen SKS versions that you could hardly distinguish from a hunting rifle, and in fact have seen one used for deer hunting.

The problem is not the weapon. The problem is the idiot who pointed it at another person and pulled the trigger.

We lived in Mississippi when our son was a sophomore in high school. He was REQUIRED to take a gun safety and hunting safety course by his school because of the number of kids who went hunting with their dads. He is now approaching 40 and is completely comfortable and safe with guns.

Bogie Shooter 02-05-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1006989)
What do you see as the answer? If they ban guns, then only the bad guys will have them. I don't have a gun but I might change my mind.

Now where did you hear that?

graciegirl 02-05-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1006998)
Now where did you hear that?

I am trying to think where I first heard it. My husband who does not have a gun says it.

You know I admire you Bogie Shooter and your straightforward attitude but I would like to take the opportunity to point out that I watch all three of the big news stations and I speak frequently to our granddaughter who is an executive producer of local evening news in a not small American city.

AND...

I am told I am not as dumb as I look, Bogie.

Sandtrap328 02-05-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1006989)

No where did I mention or suggest banning guns. If someone wants to legally own or legally carry, it is their right to do so.

What is the answer? Have the "smarts" not to point guns at friends, not to have unsecured guns around children, not to have a gun by your bed where you may hear a noise at night and accidentally shoot a family member, or not to take gun safety and shooting classes from a reputable instructor before geting a gun.

graciegirl 02-05-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1007019)
No where did I mention or suggest banning guns. If someone wants to legally own or legally carry, it is their right to do so.

What is the answer? Have the "smarts" not to point guns at friends, not to have unsecured guns around children, not to have a gun by your bed where you may hear a noise at night and accidentally shoot a family member, or not to take gun safety and shooting classes from a reputable instructor before geting a gun.

Well I see nothing to argue about here. You are right. I don't want a gun. I am depending on my neighbors to protect me. I would guess that well over half have guns here. What is your guess?

Walter123 02-05-2015 12:10 PM

Oh boy, here we go.

A can of wasp spray or the remote for your car with a panic button are better to keep by your bed than a gun. A billy club in a good idea for after the wasp spray. I said this before and I'll say it again. You are most vulnerable in your bedroom so fortify your bedroom door.

Do we really need to worry here, no but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

dbussone 02-05-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1007025)
Well I see nothing to argue about here. You are right. I don't want a gun. I am depending on my neighbors to protect me. I would guess that well over half have guns here. What is your guess?

I believe your estimate is low. And hope your neighbors will take care of you. I would!

Bogie Shooter 02-05-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1007018)
I am trying to think where I first heard it. My husband who does not have a gun says it.

You know I admire you Bogie Shooter and your straightforward attitude but I would like to take the opportunity to point out that I watch all three of the big news stations and I speak frequently to our granddaughter who is an executive producer of local evening news in a not small American city.

AND...

I am told I am not as dumb as I look, Bogie.

Whoa.........
I said nothing about what news stations you watch.
I did not say you were dumb.
Why the attack?

graciegirl 02-05-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1007037)
Whoa.........
I said nothing about what news stations you watch.
I did not say you were dumb.
Why the attack?

Sorry. I thought I was in political.

fred53 02-05-2015 12:58 PM

"It is legal to own a semi-automatic AK-47 if you are at least 18 years old.

Amazing, but llegal."

I don't find it amazing that a person who can use and automatic weapon serving in the armed forces at age 17(w/parents permission)can buy a semi-auto anything...what's amazing is how many stupid people are still around...

redwitch 02-05-2015 01:19 PM

Owning a gun is one thing. Owning a sem-automatic that can easily be converted to fully automatic is another. I really don't understand why these weapons are not banned, except for our police officers and military. Ditto the dum-dum bullets and their ilk. Yes, some criminals will have these weapons but there is no logic in my mind that wants these type of weapons in the hands of whomever wants them. I also firmly believe that anyone who owns a handgun, rifle or shotgun should take a comprehensive course in gun safety, be required to practice at a range at least every three months and take a refresher safety course every year.

dbussone 02-05-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1007060)
"It is legal to own a semi-automatic AK-47 if you are at least 18 years old.

Amazing, but llegal."

I don't find it amazing that a person who can use and automatic weapon serving in the armed forces at age 17(w/parents permission)can buy a semi-auto anything...what's amazing is how many stupid people are still around...

Quite often they are their own worst enemies, and remove themselves from the gene pool. Darwin strikes again.

Cathy H 02-05-2015 01:25 PM

lets remember that all guns are banned in Great Britain and even policemen do not carry. Permits for hunting are hard to obtain. So the notion put forth that only bad guys or gals with have them when guns are banned is not proven. but I am resigned to know that this not-so-great country will never ban guns