Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gates-142276/)

downeaster 02-05-2015 02:19 PM

Gates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1006820)
I know this is wandering off the topic of roundabouts, but it's an interesting point, since The Villages really isn't a gated community at all.
The Gates do give some type of psychological security, but is it really worth the price.
Many of us were unaware when we purchased that the gates are there for traffic control.
The streets are owned by the County; they are public property. As Bonanza said, anyone can enter.

Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?

AriaGrandparents2013 02-05-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 1007111)
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.

My thoughts are "Let sleeping dogs lie".........I like the false sense of security of a gate even with the ability for anyone to open them.

Challenger 02-05-2015 02:36 PM

IMHO the system serves several good purposes. No need to fiddle with it.

Unintended consequences.

Bogie Shooter 02-05-2015 02:43 PM

I guess you could assume that this topic has been discussed before. Reading these threads should give you the information you are seeking.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...amaged-135648/
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...policy-126090/
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...peners-125865/
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-entry-120141/
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-gates-112114/
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...t-gate-111755/

MikeV 02-05-2015 02:44 PM

The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.

downeaster 02-05-2015 03:11 PM

I am aware of the numerous threads relative to gates but they cover many aspects. My intention was to keep focused on entrance gates opening in a manner similar to exit gates. This maintains the safety aspect without the need of a gate card.

raynan 02-05-2015 03:26 PM

I like the gates because it does slow people down especially before a roundabout and as a caution for golf carts entering the cross. However, I also would prefer something that could be read without opening the windows especially in the rain.

Susan G 02-05-2015 03:27 PM

Best Idea Yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 1007132)
The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.

This is the best idea yet! I hate the constant wear & tear on my electric window motor. They were not made for that much use I am sure, not to mention I dislike getting the inside of my vehicle wet when it is STORMING.

Another option would be the auto open gate like they use when a new Village is in "construction mode." It stops traffic long enough to get a visual on the vehicle license plates and also gives golf carts time to cross.

Clearly there has got to be a better way...

Barefoot 02-05-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 1007152)
My intention was to keep focused on entrance gates opening in a manner similar to exit gates. This maintains the safety aspect without the need of a gate card.

I like that idea. Keep the gates for traffic control, without the need for cards.

BobnBev 02-05-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1007166)
I like that idea. Keep the gates for traffic control, without the need for cards.

I'll 2nd that.....you've got my vote.

TVMayor 02-05-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

YES
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...zFBE947pXFS_rQ

buzzy 02-05-2015 04:04 PM

Without cards, I think the incidence of broken gates and damaged vehicles would go up considerably. And, the carts would be backed up waiting for a break in the bumper to bumper line of cars.

rubicon 02-05-2015 04:13 PM

Some people have too much time on their hands

pbkmaine 02-05-2015 04:23 PM

My card works at the Santiago gate without rolling the window down. Nice on a rainy day.

DougB 02-05-2015 04:24 PM

What's the difference what anyone thinks about the gates? It is what it is.

LndLocked 02-05-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Plus we could have the TV version of Death Race 2000 at the golf cart crossings!! :22yikes:

tomwed 02-05-2015 05:28 PM

I think it's a great idea. I suggested it once before. The gate regulates traffic but it does not provide security. The one on canal street is broken near 44A and the one in pinellas on the way to winn dixie is also broken. Someone is wasting money on needless repairs.

Maybe with the money saved we could irrigate the executive golf courses better and grow longer grass so I can hit my flop shots on the fluffy grass.

See, it's always about me,

downeaster 02-05-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1007199)
Some people have too much time on their hands

If that remark is directed at me you are correct. Unfortunately the time on my hands is due to circumstances beyond my control. I use some of that time getting some enjoyment by participating on this forum.

gerryh1943 02-05-2015 07:08 PM

Gates opening

Do what we do we going visitors gates to save us from opening are window all the time it does not take but may be 15 seconds and don't have to put your window in the rain. Works for us. We have doing 5 plus years.

CFrance 02-05-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 1007111)
First some history.

Good idea.:BigApplause:

tomwed 02-05-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 1007261)
If that remark is directed at me you are correct. Unfortunately the time on my hands is due to circumstances beyond my control. I use some of that time getting some enjoyment by participating on this forum.

And why not. For now I'm living alone and TOTV is company. There are a lot of nice people here. Pick and choose your threads and start ones too.

Average Guy 02-05-2015 08:31 PM

It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?

VillagesFlorida 02-05-2015 08:32 PM

Except for the Resident Only gates I don't see the problem. We only use the Visitor gates now. We burned out one power window and won't do it again. Visitor gates are for residents, also.

tomwed 02-05-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Guy (Post 1007350)
It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?

I guess I missed that twice. Did someone suggest that they wore out the window motor because of all the gates?
That's a very creative argument.

"An electric car window motor works the windows and make them go up or down. Depending on the model of the car and if the window motor is new or used, it should last at least four or five years. In many cases, it will last up to around 7 to 8 years." according to CarsDirect

Indydealmaker 02-05-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1007367)
I guess I missed that twice. Did someone suggest that they wore out the window motor because of all the gates?
That's a very creative argument.

"An electric car window motor works the windows and make them go up or down. Depending on the model of the car and if the window motor is new or used, it should last at least four or five years. In many cases, it will last up to around 7 to 8 years." according to CarsDirect

The windows in my 2000 Tahoe (266,000 miles) all work well and have never been replaced. That equates to a lot of drive-thru coffee episodes.

NYGUY 02-05-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

:BigApplause::BigApplause:

JoMar 02-06-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan G (Post 1007163)
This is the best idea yet! I hate the constant wear & tear on my electric window motor. They were not made for that much use I am sure, not to mention I dislike getting the inside of my vehicle wet when it is STORMING.

Another option would be the auto open gate like they use when a new Village is in "construction mode." It stops traffic long enough to get a visual on the vehicle license plates and also gives golf carts time to cross.

Clearly there has got to be a better way...

When it rains I go through the visitor side.....don't have to open the window...also, when is the last time anyone replaced a window motor?

Barefoot 02-06-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1007436)
When it rains I go through the visitor side.....don't have to open the window...also, when is the last time anyone replaced a window motor?

See Post # 23 by VillagesFlorida.

Bonanza 02-06-2015 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 (Post 1007117)
My thoughts are "Let sleeping dogs lie".........I like the false sense of security of a gate even with the ability for anyone to open them.

Why would anyone like that false sense of security when it is exactly as you say . . . FALSE?

The public at large knows anyone can enter.

You really think your false sense of security is worth a million dollars plus a year??? That's what it costs us!

Bonanza 02-06-2015 03:33 AM

Quote:

Most REAL gated communities have a decal on their car on the rear window which is automatically read for opening a gate. The method that is used here is archaic, but cheap!

Do you really think the powers that be care? Why should they? They don't have to use the gates a million times a day like we do.

Walter123 02-06-2015 05:38 AM

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing.

Bureau007 02-06-2015 07:33 AM

My card works with the window closed,I just slide it flat on the inside of the window ,even in the rain.

George Bieniaszek 02-06-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1007445)
Most REAL gated communities have a decal on their car on the rear window which is automatically read for opening a gate. The method that is used here is archaic, but cheap!

Do you really think the powers that be care? Why should they? They don't have to use the gates a million times a day like we do.

A system such as that would work very well here in The Villages, especially if it could be linked to identify the vehicle going thru and causing damage to the gates because of their impatience! A bill or two itemizing the costs of damage or repair would do wonders to cool the jets of some of the pseudo-NASCAR drivers here!

George Bieniaszek 02-06-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

I had to replace the power window on my Dodge Ram truck years ago, before I owned a home here and when I had it done at the dealer's, the repair bill was approx. $475. OUCH!!

A couple of years later, the power window on the passenger door failed and didn't want another large repair bill. Looked on the internet, the motor cost approx. $70. Needed to buy a tool to pop the interior door panel off and a specialized TORX wrench set for screw removal and 1 hour later, I had a perfectly operational power window for under $100. Great videos online too that give tips etc. for the DIY crowd and a very easy job.

capecoralbill 02-06-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryh1943 (Post 1007298)
Do what we do we going visitors gates to save us from opening are window all the time it does not take but may be 15 seconds and don't have to put your window in the rain. Works for us. We have doing 5 plus years.

Do you proofread your messages before posting? I would like to know what you were trying to say, it seemed important.
I agree with the need for the passes to work from a greater distance, I had never considered that my window would wear out until I read this, now I am wondering when it will fail. Furthermore how inconvenient to have to stick your arm out the window in a much too common Florida downpour.

capecoralbill 02-06-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 1007352)
Except for the Resident Only gates I don't see the problem. We only use the Visitor gates now. We burned out one power window and won't do it again. Visitor gates are for residents, also.

Many gates are unmanned, ie Belvedere. So I have to stick arm out the window.

dave harris 02-06-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy (Post 1007192)
Without cards, I think the incidence of broken gates and damaged vehicles would go up considerably. And, the carts would be backed up waiting for a break in the bumper to bumper line of cars.

A gated community near Orlando had transponders. They stuck on your windshield and automatically opened the gate. Never was any backup and the gate closed after each car. Never saw a broken gate there.

MikeV 02-06-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek (Post 1007514)
A system such as that would work very well here in The Villages, especially if it could be linked to identify the vehicle going thru and causing damage to the gates because of their impatience! A bill or two itemizing the costs of damage or repair would do wonders to cool the jets of some of the pseudo-NASCAR drivers here!

I have a theory about the broken gates. I have noticed that the reflective paint on the gate arms is not very reflective at night. The gate arm is a little too high for non SUV/Truck headlights to illuminate the reflective paint. I noticed this because I recently switched from a SUV to a sedan. It's very hard to see the gate arm at night. Of course this doesn't account for daytime incidents.

tomwed 02-06-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 1007537)
I have a theory about the broken gates. I have noticed that the reflective paint on the gate arms is not very reflective at night. The gate arm is a little too high for non SUV/Truck headlights to illuminate the reflective paint. I noticed this because I recently switched from a SUV to a sedan. It's very hard to see the gate arm at night. Of course this doesn't account for daytime incidents.

If you live here you know there is a gate.
If you don't live here one would think everything that surrounds the gate looks like something you have seen before that had a gate.
Someone posted a youtube video awhile ago of a cart slowly pushing the pole until it broke and than kept going.
I think that's how most of them get broken. Those kind of people don't change.
Let the gates open automatically.

Bogie Shooter 02-06-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capecoralbill (Post 1007521)
Do you proofread your messages before posting? I would like to know what you were trying to say, it seemed important.
I agree with the need for the passes to work from a greater distance, I had never considered that my window would wear out until I read this, now I am wondering when it will fail. Furthermore how inconvenient to have to stick your arm out the window in a much too common Florida downpour.

How many times a year do you get your arm wet?