Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Caught in a lie. Brian Williams (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/caught-lie-brian-williams-142575/)

graciegirl 02-08-2015 09:21 AM

Caught in a lie. Brian Williams

In this age of transparency and tracking and cameras and world "eyes" not many can get away with fibs for long, especially if you are in the public eye.

What do you think about this situation?

dewilson58 02-08-2015 09:41 AM

Quotes:
A mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago..........

"I said I was traveling in an aircraft that was hit by (enemy) fire," he said. "Instead, I was in the following aircraft."

I don't think it was just a mistake in recalling the events............he knew what he was saying, what he did or did not do we years ago.

Bucco 02-08-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1008536)
In this age of transparency and tracking and cameras and world "eyes" not many can get away with fibs for long, especially if you are in the public eye.

I am shocked at this. I just wonder WHY....WHY would someone like him do this, assuming he has and it sure looks as if the charges are valid.

Remember the day when the anchor on the new was trusted ? Dan Rather and his rather pathetic attempt to get Bush is the first thing I think of as that might have been the first of the cracking of confidence in these guys.

We now hear there may be more incidents, and it has to give you pause. I have been suspicious of ALL media for a number of years now, and rely on them, and that includes cable news folks, for absolutely nothing. I do my own research and do my own fact checking. That way I can ignore spin, character attacks and concentrate on what is REALLY happening.

buzzy 02-08-2015 10:18 AM

At least Walter Cronkite never claimed to be reporting from the moon.

Cedwards38 02-08-2015 10:23 AM

Damages his credibility as the news anchor but:

John 8:7 King James Version (KJV)

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

DeanFL 02-08-2015 10:49 AM

I was going to write my thoughts on this topic, but I misremembered. Guess my brain cells are getting conflated.

Glad I'm not a working news anchor and simply a retired guy in TV.

dewilson58 02-08-2015 10:53 AM

Since he invented the computer, maybe we can forgive this lie.

:super:

GolfGirl122 02-08-2015 10:58 AM

"At least Walter Cronkite never claimed to be reporting from the moon."

lol - thanks Buzzy!

quirky3 02-08-2015 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Proof positive!

DeanFL 02-08-2015 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and...

villagetinker 02-08-2015 11:21 AM

It is interesting, accident victims, and assault victims have many times been shown to remember things wrong when there is a video showing what actually happened. I have experienced similar occurrences during a close call when there were other people in the car, each had a slightly different story.
So during a helicopter ride, in a war, with shooting going on, I would cut the guy a break, especially with the several years that have gone by.
I look at it this way, there were some questions asked now, going forward, everyone involved is going to be doubly sure they are correct, too much at stake.
Just my humble opinion.

rp001 02-08-2015 11:23 AM

He screwed up and it will cost him his career. Believe me, if he had come under fire he would have remembered it and the evasive maneuvers the chopper would take. I liked him too. The last honest newsman we had was of course Cronkite and before that Murrow or maybe Huntley Brinkley. Today all news is slanted by owners opinions and talking points reinforced throughout the day!

gomoho 02-08-2015 11:59 AM

but he said when he was a teenage volunteer firefighter (never knew there was such a thing) he crawled on his hands and knees and rescued a puppy, which later became two puppies when he retold the story. I'm not kidding.

manaboutown 02-08-2015 12:02 PM

This is another nail in the mainstream media coffin.

Challenger 02-08-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1008536)

Brian Williams Lied.
He repeated the lie several times.
He was not on the plane or even in the same sortie
I understand that he arrived on a flight an hour or more after the incident.
He then equivocated when caught and tried to claim that his memory was "fuzzy". That is truly Bovine Scatology.

He could have shut this down quickly if his apology had been honest, sincere and unembelished.

When will offenders learn that lesson?