Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Chili's on 27/441 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/chilis-27-441-a-142653/)

kcrazorbackfan 02-08-2015 07:25 PM

Chili's on 27/441

Well, my 1st day in TV, for the week at least. Since I've been on the road all of yesterday and most of today, my eating habits weren't the best, so this afternoon I decided to get something good to eat. I stopped at the aforementioned Chili's, got seated and waited and waited and waited. All the time, both tables front and back of me got serviced. I had taken a shower before I went, so I know I didn't smell. I asked to see a manager, and in a nice way (I know that doesn't sound like me, right?), told him I had been waiting more than 10 minutes, and the two tables around me had been waited on. All he could muster was "Sorry". So, I got up and said, again nicely, "Well, it's my 1st day here and I'm sorry I had to come to your restaurant" and walked out.

Will I go back there? I myself probably won't, but if my bride wants to (since she didn't have to suffer that agonizing wait today :laugh:), we probably will.

DougB 02-08-2015 07:32 PM

You waited a whole 10 minutes and weren't served? Yikes!

gpirate 02-08-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1008889)
You waited a whole 10 minutes and weren't served? Yikes!

Not served. Not waited on. I have ate at many of these restaurants over the years and the one in reference is one of the worst. In my home town it is one of our favorite spots to eat.

DougB 02-08-2015 08:00 PM

Even waited on, I don't consider 10 minutes an excessive amount of time.

NotFromAroundHere 02-09-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1008905)

Maybe you would if every table around you was getting prompt service.

graciegirl 02-09-2015 08:15 AM

Where is Chili's? Didn't realize we had one on campus.

Mr. Hogg, you should have gone to Cane Garden or Mallory or Lighthouse or Glenbrook or Too Jays to do your waiting. Very pleasant surroundings and lotsa villagers..

tomwed 02-09-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1008881)
Well, my 1st day in TV, for the week at least. Since I've been on the road all of yesterday and most of today, my eating habits weren't the best, so this afternoon I decided to get something good to eat. I stopped at the aforementioned Chili's, got seated and waited and waited and waited. All the time, both tables front and back of me got serviced. I had taken a shower before I went, so I know I didn't smell. I asked to see a manager, and in a nice way (I know that doesn't sound like me, right?), told him I had been waiting more than 10 minutes, and the two tables around me had been waited on. All he could muster was "Sorry". So, I got up and said, again nicely, "Well, it's my 1st day here and I'm sorry I had to come to your restaurant" and walked out.

Will I go back there? I myself probably won't, but if my bride wants to (since she didn't have to suffer that agonizing wait today :laugh:), we probably will.

So is it good to be back?
I'll catch you up.
Watch out for the circles, gates and clueless bike riders.
Don't forget to replace your divot and rake traps.
Buy your whiskey straight up.
Oh yea, some rude and miserable people have been spotted in the area.

robertj1954 02-09-2015 08:39 AM

As a regular patron of Chilis. I can only say what happened to you was unfortunate but is the rare exception not the rule. During this busy time of year and especially at peak times. All of the Resturants are serving at peak capacity and mistakes will occur.

I would certainly not judge Chilis as a Resturant with poor service. I would say the opposite and why my wife and I patronize them. Also they encourage all customers to fill out a survey to express your opinion on how they did in service and food quality.

fred53 02-09-2015 08:46 AM

Please don't enable an impatient person...mistakes happen and if you wait till you're upset there is no way to hide the animosity from your voice or how you look.

Waiting 10 minutes is nothing...all you had to do was wave down one of the wait staff and likely you would have been taken care of, but because you went immediately to the manager after only waiting a short time you set your impatience attitude up to for failure...

John_W 02-09-2015 08:48 AM

Chilis is my wife's favorite restaurant. We've been going to that location at least once a month for 4 years. Never experienced the problem you did, and we normally always sit in the lounge. I like to watch the sports channels on TV. Even in that room with the bartender sometimes stuck waiting on us, we've gotten served in 5 minutes.

I like the way you can pay on the little machine on each table because sometimes you have to wait a long time for the waitress to bring your check and then to bring back your credit card at most restaurants. At Chilis you don't get a check, you just hit the pay bill button and it's on the screen. Slide your card, add the tip, and you're on your way. You should give them another try, although that location and the Ruby Tuesday not far away, are both some of the busiest ones I've been in, they usually get the job done and the food is very good.

kstew43 02-09-2015 08:48 AM

I think the fact that you had to wait while the others around you were served is miserable.....I absolutly hate it when that happens...in any restuarant.

But I would be willing to wait for there chicken crispers......with the honey dipping sauce....yummy...

Happinow 02-09-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Next time you are in a restaurant, when you sit down set a timer on your cell phone for 10 minutes. When the server brings your drinks don't drink them for 10 minutes. I think you will also agree that 10 minutes is way too long to wait to be served. It should be minutes when you are approached by a server, not 10.

graciegirl 02-09-2015 09:35 AM

In January and February and March it is high season here in The Villages. Lots of people are here in their own homes or are renting their homes out to other people. Not a one of them know how to cook.

So they all go to restaurants and they wait outside and in the front chairs and then they are seated and the servers are tryin' to get to everybody and serve them and the cookers are cookin' things as fast as they can but still we all have to WAIT.

And that's the truth.

I was shot off my horse during the Crusades and I will tell you that story another time.

red tail 02-09-2015 09:49 AM

I ate there Friday night in a party of 12 and we had great service. quick with a very good waiter.

Beechie 02-09-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1008881)

I am trying to equate "agonizing" to a 10 minute wait. Were the two tables that were served before you also seated before you? If they arrived after you then that would bother any one of us. Maybe your table was next however.

Could it be that after a long day and a half of driving your patience was wearing a little thin? Perhaps time seems to drag on when you are sitting alone.

The Manager did say he was sorry but you did not feel it was sincere or appropriate. What could have been said to you to make things right so you don't write off the restaurant? If we all flipped off a restaurant for having to wait in excess of ten minutes we would only be left with eating at home.

zcaveman 02-09-2015 10:06 AM

I don't mind sitting and waiting for my initial service if the waitress or someone would at least stop and say that he/she will be with me in a minute.

But when they keep serving other people and not even recognizing my presence, I get a little pi$$ed.

Sometimes, I will go the the person who sat me and ask them if there is a waitress for our table. Sometimes that helps.

And you can wave at the server all you want and they will not stop. I think they get tunnel vision and skip right by me.

Z

DonH57 02-09-2015 10:13 AM

We have been in that restaurant countless times and ordered take out from them. Never had an issue there. We may have had to wait our turn for our waitress when they were super busy and short staffed or the food line computers went down which happened once.

buzzy 02-09-2015 12:12 PM

Sometimes the nearby tables have different servers, with different workloads.

Bogie Shooter 02-09-2015 12:49 PM

Wow , ten minutes and went right to the manager. Try waving (politely) to a waitress.............it usually works.

bagboy 02-09-2015 01:30 PM

Other servers will pass on by if your table is not their table. Maybe your server was tied up with another order, in the restroom, on a break...who knows. We've always had good service there. Might have been "just one of those things". Try them again sometime and most likely you'll be glad you did.

bagboy 02-09-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1009071)

Mr. Hogg, you should have gone to Cane Garden or Mallory or Lighthouse or Glenbrook or Too Jays to do your waiting. Very pleasant surroundings and lotsa villagers..

Chili's is on 441 in front of the Comfort Suites. It is golf cart accessible via Paige Place (I think that's the street) going west from Spanish Springs town square. Near St. Timothys.

kcrazorbackfan 02-09-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1009075)
So is it good to be back?
I'll catch you up.
Watch out for the circles, gates and clueless bike riders.
Don't forget to replace your divot and rake traps.
Buy your whiskey straight up.
Oh yea, some rude and miserable people have been spotted in the area.

It is great to be back! Used to, we called Arkansas "God's Country". As I pulled into TV yesterday, I called my wife and told her we have a new "God's Country". I've been reading TOTV - seen the ad nauseum posts on circles, gates and bike riders and have commented on all three. Divot's and unraked bunkers are a PET PEEVE of mine. Don't drink whiskey. Encountered some rude and miserable people today.

kcrazorbackfan 02-09-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1009071)

27/441 close to Home Depot. Going to try Too Jays tomorrow.

kcrazorbackfan 02-09-2015 07:36 PM

Response

[QUOTE=Beechie;1009137]I am trying to equate "agonizing" to a 10 minute wait. Were the two tables that were served before you also seated before you? If they arrived after you then that would bother any one of us. Maybe your table was next however.

Could it be that after a long day and a half of driving your patience was wearing a little thin? Perhaps time seems to drag on when you are sitting alone.

The Manager did say he was sorry but you did not feel it was sincere or appropriate. What could have been said to you to make things right so you don't write off the restaurant? If we all flipped off a restaurant for having to wait in excess of ten minutes we would only be left with eating at home.

Two tables weren't seated before me, they sat down after I did. I have an iPhone that I read the news on; it keeps me patient. I didn't feel he was sincere, had the attitude that if there will be someone to take my place.

kcrazorbackfan 02-09-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1009259)
Wow , ten minutes and went right to the manager. Try waving (politely) to a waitress.............it usually works.

BTW, I did make eye contact with a waitress that has numerous tats up both arms (don't have a thing against them, got a couple myself) and did motion for her; appeared to be too busy chit-chatting with another staff member.

Beechie 02-09-2015 08:13 PM

"Two tables weren't seated before me, they sat down after I did. I have an iPhone that I read the news on; it keeps me patient. I didn't feel he was sincere, had the attitude that if there will be someone to take my place".

Ok, now we get the picture. Sounds like a calamity of attitude and neglect which never sits well on an empty stomach.

buzzy 02-09-2015 08:39 PM

With all of the problems of running a restaurant, I don't think a manager would be too sincere about a complaint of a 10 minute wait.

juneroses 02-09-2015 08:55 PM

My only experience with our local Chili's on 441 is similar to the OP's. My spouse and I were seated and then sat and sat and sat. It was not high season and the restaurant was relatively empty. Eventually our meal did arrive.

We now joke that if we ever return there, we'll take a deck of cards for play while we wait.

It may be unfair to judge them by one experience, but there are so many other choices available. We have eaten at Chili's elsewhere, so haven't written off the whole chain.

mtdjed 02-09-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1009121)

I was shot off my horse during the Crusades and I will tell you that story another time.

Bad Girl. It must have been too high.

Jaggy 02-09-2015 09:26 PM

In January and February and March it is high season here in The Villages. Lots of people are here in their own homes or are renting their homes out to other people. Not a one of them know how to cook.

That was My vote for best comment of the day !! haha... thanks for the giggle Gracie !!

DougB 02-09-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 1009119)
Next time you are in a restaurant, when you sit down set a timer on your cell phone for 10 minutes. When the server brings your drinks don't drink them for 10 minutes. I think you will also agree that 10 minutes is way too long to wait to be served. It should be minutes when you are approached by a server, not 10.

No need to conduct experiments. I am fully aware how long 10 minutes is.

mrf6969 02-09-2015 10:06 PM

Live in TV since 2005. Have gone to that Chilis several times over the years and service has always been very good and the food is consistent. Give it a try again and I am sure it will be different. You might talk to the manager and I am sure they would do something for you to make up for the lousy service last visit.

tomwed 02-09-2015 11:06 PM

How did today go?

Barefoot 02-09-2015 11:37 PM

Barefoot 02-09-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechie (Post 1009137)
I am trying to equate "agonizing" to a 10 minute wait. (Snipped) If we all flipped off a restaurant for having to wait in excess of ten minutes we would only be left with eating at home.

Over ten minutes wait in high season? :shrug: We wouldn't consider that a problem.

Cisco Kid 02-10-2015 08:24 AM

:doggie:

kcrazorbackfan 02-10-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1009703)
How did today go?

Last couple of days have been great! Got garage shelving built, start touching up a poor self paint job from the previous owner tomorrow and probably start unpacking some of the boxes I brought (mine and the kitchens, not touching the wife's boxes), will start working on improving the appearance of the yard and the best thing is I went to Winn Dixie so I can eat when I want to and not have to wait to get waited on.........

Ahhh! Living the dream.

kcrazorbackfan 02-10-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1009716)
Over ten minutes wait in high season? :shrug: We wouldn't consider that a problem.

Well, since I've never experienced "high season", it may be the norm. Bear in mind now that 10 minutes wasn't waiting on food, it was for anyone to come by and say "Hi. I'm (fill in the blank) and I'll be your server tonight. Can I take your drink order?" Nothing, except for the two tables adjacent to me getting seated (after me) and serviced.

This horse has been ridden long enough; some people have other things in life to accomplish "WHILE WE'RE YOUNG" and don't like to wait while others have nothing else to do in life but wait an infinite amount of time for anything. Those people are probably the couple's that sit across the table from each other the entire time they are eating AND NEVER SAY ONE WORD TO EACH OTHER. Next time anyone goes out to eat, watch other COUPLE'S (more than two people usually with find something to chat about) around you to see if they engage in conversation, or just sit there and sit there and sit there.

DougB 02-10-2015 09:31 PM

In The Villages it's not only common to see couples talking to each other at their table, but to others at tables around them

Barefoot 02-10-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1010282)
Last couple of days have been great! Got garage shelving built, start touching up a poor self paint job from the previous owner tomorrow and probably start unpacking some of the boxes I brought (mine and the kitchens, not touching the wife's boxes), will start working on improving the appearance of the yard and the best thing is I went to Winn Dixie so I can eat when I want to and not have to wait to get waited on.........
Ahhh! Living the dream.

I'm glad to hear things are going well.
The first few months of Villages living are extremely exciting.
Best of luck!

P.S. There are more romantic hand-holding couples in The Bubble than anywhere else in the universe!