Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Looking for Golf Cart insurance to include my renters (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/looking-golf-cart-insurance-include-my-renters-142821/)

jellybeanrt 02-09-2015 10:57 PM

Looking for Golf Cart insurance to include my renters

Does anyone know a insurance co. where l can get golf cart insurance that will cover my tenants at my rental.
Thanks
Judy

RickeyD 02-10-2015 06:56 AM

Doesn't exist anymore.

Villageswimmer 02-10-2015 07:08 AM

I know for a fact State Farm will not cover renters.

Newbeginnings 02-10-2015 07:57 AM

I checked with The Villages Insurance, State Farm, Allstate. No one will cover it. I had my renters sign a waiver but there are loop holes in any waiver. If you really don't want to take any chances don't include golf cart with rent, have them rent on there own to a business like Villages Golf carts and reduce the rent to make up the difference or negotiate. I talked to an attorney about it and the safest and most protection for you is to not include with rental.

spring_chicken 02-10-2015 08:07 AM

Check with Tom Keedy, Allstate in Lady Lake. They did it as of a few months ago. You just have to stipulate that you are NOT renting the golf cart out. You are loaning the golf cart while they rent your house.

jellybeanrt 02-10-2015 08:21 AM

Thanks, Progressive use to cover, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, it is in their lease for a golf cart. How do l change it. All state covers friends and family

Judy

George Bieniaszek 02-10-2015 08:27 AM

I have lived here in The Villages for 5 years and this year is the absolute worst as far as aggressive driving, golf cart and cars! We have had so many near misses with drivers not paying attention or driving as if they were the only ones on the road.

I am amazed at the amount of people that rent their properties out and include a golf cart! You have worked your entire life to get to where you are and can lose it all by one careless act from your renter.

Signing waivers, etc. any lawyer can get around them and will put a lot of distance between you and your money! My brother-in-law purchased a villa 1.5 years ago for investment and had no problem renting it from Thanksgiving thru mid-May for 2 seasons without a golf cart. He turns many people away cause he is booked solid for those months.

Be careful and you may want to re-consider including a cart in your rental property.

jellybeanrt 02-10-2015 09:00 AM

Progressive use to cover renters, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, All State covers friends and family. Golf cart is not written in the lease, but l agreed to rent them one. Any ideas what to do as Progressive stopped the coverage?
Judy

Abby10 02-10-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybeanrt (Post 1009822)
Progressive use to cover renters, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, All State covers friends and family. Golf cart is not written in the lease, but l agreed to rent them one. Any ideas what to do as Progressive stopped the coverage?
Judy

You say that you agreed to rent them a golf cart, but it is not part of the lease agreement. Does that mean the rent that you are charging them therefore does not include the rental cost of the golf cart? If so, I don't see much of a problem. I would call the renters and tell them about your situation and offer them a list of options where they could rent a golf cart on their own when they get there. If the rental cost included the rental of your golf cart, I would refund them the amount it would cost to rent one on their own. Even if it did not include renting your golf cart, you could still offer a small discount on the rent if you think that would be fair for the inconvenience on their part. The bottom line is you must talk to the renters and negotiate some time of deal that is reasonable to both parties. I WOULD NOT RENT OUT MY OWN GOLF CART TO RENTERS FOR THE OBVIOUS REASONS STATED BY OTHER POSTERS. Good luck, jellybean!

RickeyD 02-10-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1009768)
Check with Tom Keedy, Allstate in Lady Lake. They did it as of a few months ago. You just have to stipulate that you are NOT renting the golf cart out. You are loaning the golf cart while they rent your house.

Follow this advise at your own risk.

spring_chicken 02-10-2015 12:37 PM

If you're a nervous Nellie and it's going to cause you sleepless nights, just knock a few hundred off the rent and let them rent one.
I rented my house out for years, along with the golf cart and never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of a single villager who lost their home and life savings because of a renter wrecking their golf cart. But if I wanted to, I could sit around and dream up dozens of reasons to never even go outside my door.

sunnyatlast 02-10-2015 01:13 PM

Don't kid yourself. If your rental home tenant OR their 13-year-old grandchild--as I have witnessed--is using your golf cart, whether "borrowing" it or paying you for it, you will be held liable if they kill or maim somebody with it.

And when golf cart rental dealers (who have the renters sign a waiver holding dealer harmless) brag that their regular cart will go 28 mph (when the speed limit is 20 for carts), plan on going to court for speeding in an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle and maybe an unlicensed teen driver besides.

And no, the insurers do not write golf cart insurance policies for renters' liability. "Write" is the operative word, not some verbal statement from an agent.
"At a recent POA meeting, Captain Gail Lazenby confirmed that there have been a least 10 fatalities in The Villages related to golf carts in the last four years.(P.S. as of November 2012 there have now been at least 12 fatalities in the last five years.)"
http://www.poa4us.org/golfcart_crashes_2.html

RickeyD 02-10-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1009985)
Don't kid yourself. If your rental home tenant OR their 13-year-old grandchild--as I have witnessed--is using your golf cart, whether "borrowing" it or paying you for it, you will be held liable if they kill or maim somebody with it.

And when golf cart rental dealers (who have the renters sign a waiver holding dealer harmless) brag that their regular cart will go 28 mph (when the speed limit is 20 for carts), plan on going to court for speeding in an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle and maybe an unlicensed teen driver besides.

And no, the insurers do not write golf cart insurance policies for renters' liability. "Write" is the operative word, not some verbal statement from an agent.
"At a recent POA meeting, Captain Gail Lazenby confirmed that there have been a least 10 fatalities in The Villages related to golf carts in the last four years.(P.S. as of November 2012 there have now been at least 12 fatalities in the last five years.)"
http://www.poa4us.org/golfcart_crashes_2.html

Good solid advice.