Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Why can't posters use their own names? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/why-cant-posters-use-their-own-names-142824/)

Guest 02-09-2015 11:23 PM

Why can't posters use their own names?

If this has been previously discussed, I'm sorry! I don't understand why everyone has to post as "guest" instead of using their normal TOTV names. I find the new format very confusing.

Can anyone explain the benefit to me?

Guest 02-09-2015 11:36 PM

People were getting some pretty vicious PMs in the last political forum. By only using guest, you may think you know who is posting, but it may just leave enough doubt that a PM won't occur.

Personally, I'm with you. This way is very confusing. Maybe if each guest's number showed as well it would help. At least then there would be a clue that someone had posted previously in a thread.

Guest 02-09-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1009709)
If this has been previously discussed, I'm sorry! I don't understand why everyone has to post as "guest" instead of using their normal TOTV names. I find the new format very confusing.

Can anyone explain the benefit to me?

The political forum was suspended previously because of the vitriol that spilled over into the regular forum and because of many vicious Private Messages between combatants.

It is our hope that this anonymous format will be prophylactic.

To avoid confusion, please be sure to click on "Quote Post" when you wish to reply to a specific post. This will put your reply below a highlighted version of the post to which you wish to respond. Failure to do so will guarantee a confusing and chaotic thread.

Guest 02-09-2015 11:47 PM

The new policy of everyone posting as Guest reminds me of Topix, where people use fake names to make evil comments about others. If people are anomoyous, they are more likely to be abusive and insulting.

Guest 02-10-2015 01:47 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1009720)
The new policy of everyone posting as Guest reminds me of Topix, where people use fake names to make evil comments about others. If people are anomoyous, they are more likely to be abusive and insulting.

The opposite has proven true on this Political Forum. Some posters thrive on confrontation whether they are anonymous or not.

This is a political forum, not a "firing range". Moderators WILL DELETE rude and personal attacks.

Guest 02-10-2015 09:01 AM

I am new to the political forum - wasn't around for the old one and would like to see names used rather than guest because in this short time I've learned there is a particular poster that is pretty out there and would appreciate the opportunity to ignore said person's post. Can't do that until I start reading the babble. I will certainly get through this and appreciate this forum, but would appreciate a way to be more selective in what I waste my time on.

Guest 02-10-2015 09:18 AM

:popcorn: test

Guest 02-10-2015 10:19 AM

Under the old political format, there was a link to alert the moderators to a personal attack. The moderators spent all their time responding to posters being reported for personal attacks, of which there were many.

IMO the political forum would not be back if the names and personal attack alert had not been removed.

Guest 02-10-2015 10:46 AM

I fully support the anonymous 'Guest" designation for posters - there is no need to shoot a messenger - just try to aim straight and shoot the message when you disagree with any post.

Guest 02-10-2015 11:39 AM

Few use their real names anyway.

Guest 02-10-2015 02:24 PM

Without screen names, I find it almost impossible to stay engaged on a thread here. It's like reading one poster talking to himself in his other personalities having the same name, "Guest".

That is exactly what's been going on with the KOOK who slanders TOTV posters on Topix. He argues with himself under his other personalities' screen names.

This "Guest" format here is a turnoff.

Guest 02-10-2015 02:33 PM

I think over time you will get the feel of a lot of posters by their message and delivery. Quoting a post is a big help also.

Guest 02-10-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1010029)
I think over time you will get the feel of a lot of posters by their message and delivery. Quoting a post is a big help also.

I don't think so. One poster with whom I often agree posts very l-o-n-g posts, and so whenever I see a long post that gets a long-post reply, I exit stage left….can't figure out who's talking.

Guest 02-10-2015 03:21 PM

If you quote a post you will see there is a number next to the guest. As far as I can tell, we are all assigned a different number. It really would be helpful if this number were shown next to guest. That way, we'd at least have some idea if someone is in fact arguing with themselves or someone is just adding to a previous comment, etc.

Guest 02-10-2015 03:53 PM

This is just plain silly (and confusing) to have everyone post under the same name.

Reminds me of some of those whacked out progressive daycare centers where everyone is hyper-sensitive to offending the child's developing sense of self. (psycho-babble nonsense!)

First and last post here.