Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Street legal (LSV) gas carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/street-legal-lsv-gas-carts-142946/)

Chazz 02-10-2015 05:26 PM

Street legal (LSV) gas carts

My buddy is considering purchasing a street legal/low speed vehicle (LSV), but in gas, not electric. Up until pretty recently, only electrics could be LSVs. Now that it is possible to purchase gas LSVs, he was wondering which dealers actually sell them. Does anyone know?

Sandtrap328 02-10-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz (Post 1010145)
My buddy is considering purchasing a street legal/low speed vehicle (LSV), but in gas, not electric. Up until pretty recently, only electrics could be LSVs. Now that it is possible to purchase gas LSVs, he was wondering which dealers actually sell them. Does anyone know?

Don't forget to remind your buddy that a LSW requires insurance and license plates as well as certain safety equipment. They also are restricted to a maximum speed of 25 mph.

Bonanza 02-10-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz (Post 1010145)

Tell your buddy he should think twice about getting a street legal cart -- gas or otherwise
They are simply an accident waiting to happen.

tomwed 02-10-2015 06:00 PM

I would rent one for a month if it's possible and test out your comfort zone.

Mleeja 02-10-2015 06:02 PM

Might as well purchase a smart car. Same size as a golf cart LSV and much safer.

Chazz 02-10-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1010161)
Tell your buddy he should think twice about getting a street legal cart -- gas or otherwise

Actually, he already owns an electric LSV (Par Car) for which the gas would be a replacement. He knows the risks, as he has been riding that Par Car on the roads for the last 5 years, I think.

Chazz 02-10-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1010165)
Might as well purchase a smart car. Same size as a golf cart LSV and much safer.

Funny you should mention that. I own a Smart Car, as well as a mini-van and greatly prefer it over any type of golf car. However, they are not for use on golf courses and, unlike me, my buddy's wife plays golf.

alzjr 02-10-2015 06:06 PM

Driving a LSV for 6 years, over 30,000 miles, how much longer do I have to wait for that accident? Have never even come close so far.

tomwed 02-10-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz (Post 1010168)
Funny you should mention that. I own a Smart Car, as well as a mini-van and greatly prefer it over any type of golf car. However, they are not for use on golf courses and, unlike me, my buddy's wife plays golf.

Me too
I leased it for 3 years for very little money. I walk the execs and jump in someone elses cart on the championship courses. If that's not in the cards I think they only charge $10 to rent one the championship courses.
I don't care for it on the highways.
But it keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It's comfortable and fun to drive. And I don't mind driving to an exec on the other side of town in half the time.

Bonanza 02-11-2015 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alzjr (Post 1010169)
Driving a LSV for 6 years, over 30,000 miles, how much longer do I have to wait for that accident? Have never even come close so far.

Maybe tomorrow???

red tail 02-11-2015 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1010161)

an lsv has most of the safety features of an automobile. how could it be an accident waiting to happen. I suggest you find out what an lsv is before commenting on its safety.

Chatbrat 02-11-2015 06:17 AM

Why can't a Smart car be used on a golf course if it had the correct tires & the speed is under 20 mph

Rollie 02-11-2015 06:20 AM

Everyone seems to be getting off subject. Op was asking about gas lsv's.

Rollie

PaPaLarry 02-11-2015 07:21 AM

I enjoy riding on cart paths!! More scenic view, and less tension!!! For those who like the roads, more power to you, but must admit, have to be more cautious. Happy Motoring!

tomwed 02-11-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1010412)
Why can't a Smart car be used on a golf course if it had the correct tires & the speed is under 20 mph

Smart cars weigh 1800 lbs and golf carts weigh 900 lbs. How many times would the golfer be restarting the engine in a round?

and many more reasons