Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   radon gas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/radon-gas-142993/)

dave harris 02-11-2015 07:46 AM

radon gas

Has anyone had their home tested for radon?

Tennisnut 02-11-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave harris (Post 1010431)

There is very little concern for radon in Florida due to geological conditions here.

See Geologic Radon Potential of the U.S.

123Cookie 02-11-2015 08:29 AM

I doubt if Radon is an issue here - for a couple of reasons -

1. radon typically comes from granite bedrock - non existent here - if you go deep enough here underlying rock is young limestone - and

2. radon becomes a problem when it accumulates in basements - not many basements in Florida - water table is too high.

ukbill70 02-11-2015 08:41 AM

I had to have my home in N.W. Illinois tested for Radon because the buyers attorney wanted it done. It Failed as do most homes in Northern Illinois. Had to have an extraction system installed and the retest passed. The contractor who installed the system told me Radon was NOT an issue in Florida.

dave harris 02-11-2015 01:19 PM

radon

Thank you for the comment, I had a disclaimer in my rental agreement about radon. I do know it is the second leading cause of lung cancer, behind smoking.

Bonanza 02-11-2015 03:59 PM

Just as a point of interest, radon is naturally occurring in granite and many homes have granite countertops in their kitchens and baths. A test for radon is expensive and usually unnecessary. For the most part, it is an uneducated buyer who wants that type of test done.

However, kitchens and baths with granite are nothing to worry about and what is emitted into the atmosphere is pretty much not even worth talking about.

karostay 02-11-2015 05:46 PM

Think you need to build on a solid surface such as granite don't think sand and clay qualify

cquick 02-11-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave harris (Post 1010431)

Do you have a basement under your home? If you don't then you shouldn't worry about radon gas.

LisaJ 02-11-2015 07:46 PM

When we went to purchase our condo in Naples it had radon gas. Our realtor said they were seeing more and more radon gas.

dbussone 02-11-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJ (Post 1010834)
When we went to purchase our condo in Naples it had radon gas. Our realtor said they were seeing more and more radon gas.

This is, IMHO, one of the biggest scams in the real estate market. It is true that radon is not a laughing matter, but unless your home is built on bedrock it is not not likely that you have radon gas in your home. We had a home in BNA and a radon test was required. They put the test kit on a granite rock in the crawlspace. Bad test! Cost me $5000 in modifications to satisfy the purchaser. The house next door sold one month later with a clean test.

Same issue in CLT. Only the test kit was left on granite counters. Bad result. I had them repeat the test and had the test kit placed on wooden flooring. Everything turned out fine.

The moral is to choose your testing company carefully and ask why they select a specific location.

Bonanza 02-12-2015 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1010883)
This is, IMHO, one of the biggest scams in the real estate market. It is true that radon is not a laughing matter, but unless your home is built on bedrock it is not not likely that you have radon gas in your home. We had a home in BNA and a radon test was required. They put the test kit on a granite rock in the crawlspace. Bad test! Cost me $5000 in modifications to satisfy the purchaser. The house next door sold one month later with a clean test.

Same issue in CLT. Only the test kit was left on granite counters. Bad result. I had them repeat the test and had the test kit placed on wooden flooring. Everything turned out fine.

The moral is to choose your testing company carefully and ask why they select a specific location.

I happen to agree with you.

In my experience with some of these home inspection companies (through real estate) who purchase the equipment and supposedly are qualified to do radon inspections, it's really a joke. They don't know what they are doing with the exception of charging through the nose for the inspeciton itself!

Villages Kahuna 02-12-2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisnut (Post 1010457)
There is very little concern for radon in Florida due to geological conditions here.

See Geologic Radon Potential of the U.S.

Radon is heavier than air and is never a problem on the slab houses so common in The Villages and thruout Florida. The comments on the underlying geology of the state not being conducive to the existence of radon gas are also accurate.