Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dirty Glasses (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dirty-glasses-143036/)

caseylou5 02-11-2015 01:33 PM

Dirty Glasses

Our dishwasher a GE does not clean our glasses. Does anyone else have a problem with that. I have used Finish and Cascade along with a Booster and nothing has helped.

Any suggestions except buying a new dishwasher?:

dplars 02-11-2015 01:45 PM

Had similar problems with GE, Whirlpool, Maytag and finally bought a Bosch and now Mommas happy.

tuccillo 02-11-2015 02:02 PM

We have a Whirllpool dishwasher and use Finish and our glasses are clean. We also have soft water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseylou5 (Post 1010621)
Our dishwasher a GE does not clean our glasses. Does anyone else have a problem with that. I have used Finish and Cascade along with a Booster and nothing has helped.

raynan 02-11-2015 02:44 PM

Try running the dishwasher with a cup of vinegar.

villagetinker 02-11-2015 02:49 PM

Check your water hardness, if you do not have a water softener, this may be the cause of the problem. We have a Sears water softener, and dishes, glasses, and crystal come looking like new with just the dish washer soap and no additives. We also have a Sears whole house filter, but this was more for the chlorine taste.

Chatbrat 02-11-2015 03:09 PM

1) put a cup of vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher and run it thru a complete clean cycle
2) use Cascade Complete

3) If that doesn't work you may need a good water filter-we have a GE whole house filter--every thing is clean & we never have to change the filter in our ref rig.

Bonanza 02-11-2015 03:31 PM

There was a similar post a few days ago. You might want to read it. If you are using a liquid detergent, stop using it. Liquids will do exactly what I think you are describing to glassware and silverware. If you hand wash your glasses and they look the same (cloudy) -- kiss them goodbye. They are ruined!

We have a Whirlpool, and do not have any type of water treatment. We use Finish tablets and Jet Dry in the liquid dispenser. We only use the Eco (short) cycle and open the D/W door to air dry when the cycle is done. Our result is always perfection!

CFrance 02-11-2015 04:50 PM

We've had a water softener since 1987, but we have occasionally had a problem with the glasses even though we use Jet Dry. I think maybe the liquid detergent may be too harsh. We've had several brands of DWs, but I love my Whirlpool that came with our new house. Best I ever had. We use Jet Dry and Finish Power Balls.

tommy steam 02-11-2015 08:22 PM

I have a whole house water filter which filters out sand, fine silt, other is carbon for the chlorine , I use Finish and Finish Jet Dry. Have a whirlpool DW. Glass come out sparking clean. Try the vinegar in the dish washer.

blueeagle65 02-11-2015 11:09 PM

We have a GE, no water softener and use the Cascade/Dawn 'pills' - no problems w/ spots or dirty dishes.

jblum315 02-12-2015 06:19 AM

After 5 years, Some of my glasses are cloudy. Others from the same set of glasses are clear. Beats me.

Crowder 02-12-2015 10:22 AM

We slosh some inexpensive white vinegar into the d/w (along with normal powder 'pod') and got some new glasses. For a yr now they r clean.

chuckinca 02-12-2015 10:38 AM

My wife's brother was putting dirty, un-rinsed dishes and silverware in the dishwasher and had to do them about three times to get them clean. He bought a new expensive dishwasher and still had the same issue. Called for repairs on the new unit and the repair guy said "newer dishwashers don't clean dishes they just sanitize them, you have to clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher".

jimbo2012 02-12-2015 11:34 AM

How can you get clean glasses and dishes with dirty water,

take a look at the Nova whole house water filter.

see https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rations-68945/

CFrance 02-12-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 1011115)
My wife's brother was putting dirty, un-rinsed dishes and silverware in the dishwasher and had to do them about three times to get them clean. He bought a new expensive dishwasher and still had the same issue. Called for repairs on the new unit and the repair guy said "newer dishwashers don't clean dishes they just sanitize them, you have to clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher".

That's interesting, because our top-of-the-line LG in our MI house said NOT to rinse the dishes, and that the newer designs actually do a better job of protecting the finish on the dish ware if you don't. Beats me. We went from rinsing to just scraping, but then back to rinsing because the DW didn't clean them very well. But that was the worst DW we ever had, so it may have been the brand. We were not pleased with the LG French Door refrigerator either.

philnpat 02-12-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseylou5 (Post 1010621)

We have a GE Quiet Power 1 dishwasher and use Cascade Complete Action Pacs. Our dishes and glasses come out perfectly clean.
If we were having problems, we would consider a whole house filter installed by a licensed, insured plumber. But since all is fine, we'll keep going the way we have been.

tuccillo 02-12-2015 12:44 PM

Yes, that seems to be the general advice - don't rinse. We, however, do rinse and haven't seen any bad side effects. Everything comes out clean. I have noticed that the run cycle on our Whirlpool is very long - much longer than any other dishwasher we have had. It is also very quiet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1011169)
That's interesting, because our top-of-the-line LG in our MI house said NOT to rinse the dishes, and that the newer designs actually do a better job of protecting the finish on the dish ware if you don't. Beats me. We went from rinsing to just scraping, but then back to rinsing because the DW didn't clean them very well. But that was the worst DW we ever had, so it may have been the brand. We were not pleased with the LG French Door refrigerator either.

raynan 02-12-2015 04:54 PM

It's not the brand of dishwasher, it is the water. Vinegar will clean the build-up in the dishwasher and glasses. You have to do it periodically.