Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Flowers in common areas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/flowers-common-areas-143168/)

2newyorkers 02-12-2015 03:32 PM

Flowers in common areas

Did anyone else notice that the flowers in the common areas are especially pretty this season? Even the purple in the decorative cabbage is more vibrant.

graciegirl 02-12-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 1011350)
Did anyone else notice that the flowers in the common areas are especially pretty this season? Even the purple in the decorative cabbage is more vibrant.

And the people more dear and interesting? And the place even more spotless? And the sky more blue?

I hope it's not that chip in my neck.

TrudyM 02-12-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

It does look nice but I have wondered why they plant annuals that die and need replacing rather than those that will come up every year or low growing flowering plants that do not need to be replanted again and again. I would think labor wise it would cost more. Some of the yards that are really beautiful have low flowering plants that seem to be perennials. Mexican sage and cornflowers come to mind. Can you tell I am not a gardener.

graciegirl 02-12-2015 04:15 PM

They may do it because I LOVE it and perhaps a few more too, and I hope as long as I live here it will never change.

I notice and I just adore it. It is a feast for the eyes and so incredibly lovely.

Chi-Town 02-12-2015 04:21 PM

It's nice to see the changes. It gives The Villages a special feel.

CFrance 02-12-2015 04:23 PM

I like it too. The colors change, and everything looks fresh and new.

Happydaz 02-12-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1011370)
It does look nice but I have wondered why they plant annuals that die and need replacing rather than those that will come up every year or low growing flowering plants that do not need to be replanted again and again. I would think labor wise it would cost more. Some of the yards that are really beautiful have low flowering plants that seem to be perennials. Mexican sage and cornflowers come to mind. Can you tell I am not a gardener.

It's true annuals live a short life, but they have such intense colors and that is why they look so good in the flower beds. As a gardener I find it amusing that people think I am slaving in the garden when I am having a wonderful time! I see people walking dogs all day and night, seven days a week, or the fast walkers, or the golf carts shooting by on their way to walk over the hills chasing this little white ball, and for some reason they feel sorry for me out having fun in my garden. It is a mystery to me why people don't see the beauty in tending a garden plot in the sun. It warms your heart and puts you in touch with the earth, the flowers, the bees, and all that. Forget the cost, beauty is worth it all. The prettiest yards have annuals, perennials, shrubs, tress, etc.. They all look good, but only annuals give you that intense shot of color. Let them be.

Jbirds99 02-12-2015 10:07 PM

Some people complain about the flowers being changed. The cost per house for this bit of beauty is only $11.00 a yr. per house.
Thank you Villages.

Bonanza 02-13-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbirds99 (Post 1011563)
Some people complain about the flowers being changed. The cost per house for this bit of beauty is only $11.00 a yr. per house.
Thank you Villages.

Only $11.00 per house a year for such beauty?
I wish I could say the same for my yard!

How did you get the $11.00 figure?

graciegirl 02-13-2015 08:04 AM

2NewYorkers is right. They are even prettier than these.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-85hxAWlfg0...owers+2012.jpg

sunnyatlast 02-13-2015 08:48 AM

I see the added cost of replacing the flowers as one more sign of generosity toward our community, by the developers. This is one of many things they've done to add value and beauty where others would go cheap.

I hope we don't ever get bean counting cheapskates running the CDD's, who want to just plant cactus and do nothing in these flower beds again.

Be careful what you wish for. Most bean counters I've known have NO aesthetic sense.

kittygilchrist 02-13-2015 02:08 PM

That. Was the fall planting! Anybody got a shot of the winter babies?
The cabbages are especially perfect!

Barefoot 02-13-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1011654)

I love the flowers, who wouldn't! I hope they continue planting them after Build Out.

newguyintv 02-13-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Frankly NO! All I see is the ugly AED Box that was put in the middle of a common area. Cannot believe Public Safety folks can be so dumb to allow those things to be placed in the middle of a common area cul-de sac that would otherwise be quite aesthetically pleasing!

graciegirl 02-13-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguyintv (Post 1011845)
Frankly NO! All I see is the ugly AED Box that was put in the middle of a common area. Cannot believe Public Safety folks can be so dumb to allow those things to be placed in the middle of a common area cul-de sac that would otherwise be quite aesthetically pleasing!

????? There aren't any AED boxes in any common areas I have seen. They are all in someone's yard in every village I know who has them..