Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   My Villages Hospital Review (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/my-villages-hospital-review-143406/)

angiefox10 02-14-2015 10:35 AM

My Villages Hospital Review

I went to The Villages ER on Saturday February 7th, 2015 with chest pains. (FYI my heart and total health is GREAT!) They immediately took me to a room and hooked me up to monitors and placed a nitro patch on my chest.

My husband made it clear several times he wanted me to see his cardiologist at the Citrus Group. I’m throwing that in now, all will become clear.

I laid on a gurney for hours in the ER waiting for a room. I hadn’t had much to eat or drink before that so my husband asked if they could get me some food or water. I don’t know what the response was… but I didn’t receive food or water. He finally found a vending machine and purchased some water for me. The only thing in the vending machines to eat was junk, and I don’t eat junk. (I am a Beachbody Coach and have gotten to enjoy healthy food.) My husband asked again and again for something for me to eat. Finally they brought me a dry tasteless turkey and cheese sandwich and grapes. I was hungry… I ate! I entered the ER at 3:00 PM and made it to a room at 10:30. At one point I had asked if they could move me closer to the machines, I was hooked up to, as I was tangled up in the cords. They said that wasn’t possible and walked out. I told the nurse I had a horrible headache. She said it was from the Nitro and walked away… When she came back in, I asked if I could get something for the pain, she said she would get me something and walked out. 30 minutes later, she came back in, I asked about the meds for pain and she said she told another nurse to bring them… Didn’t I get them yet??? She went back out and got the meds and when she came back, she moved the Nitro from my chest to my ankle. She said that would move it away from my head and stop the headache.

They told me they would take blood three times to see if I was, or had had a heart attack. The lady taking the blood told me there are people who have been in the ER for up to 3 days and didn’t get a room! OH wow….. I wasn’t on a bed, but a gurney! Not comfortable!

I sent my husband home to take care of our pets who needed meds and to be fed and told him I would let him know when I was in a room.

At 9:20 someone came in and told me he was taking me to my room. This gentleman left….. at 9:40 a nurse came in and told me I had a room… hmmmm I was told I had a room 20 minutes ago…. At 10:03… I was finally in a room. The nurse there took my patch off so the headache went away.

The nurse said I was scheduled for a stress test for the next day, did I want to eat something. I said yes. He brought me the dry turkey cheese sandwich again and Ginger Ale. I tried eating it. I just couldn’t! I took the bread off and tried eating the cheese and turkey. I could only eat one bite of that. I don’t drink carbonated drinks and I don’t drink sugar so I drank some of the water. By that time I was so exhausted, I fell asleep.

The next day the PA came in and told me they were going to do a Stress Test on me. Asked if I could walk the treadmill. I told him I could…. I explained I was a Beachbody Coach and did extensive workouts. He didn’t know what I was talking about and didn’t seem to want to look it up. It might had given them an indicator of my health… but… Whatever…. So, it was decided that I would walk the treadmill. When I was taken down for the Stress Test they laid me on a gurney and said they were doing a chemical test instead of walking the treadmill. I was very agitated about this. I didn’t want anything else put in my system and told them this. I also told them the Dr. and specifically said I would be walking the treadmill. They ignored my request and never called the Dr. to find out what he wanted. They just went ahead and did the chemical test. BTW, the Dr. was in the hospital and they were aware of it.

When I got back up to my room, the Doctor came in and he asked if there was a reason I couldn’t walk the test. When I told him what happened, he was surprised and clearly didn’t order that. I would like to add that this was not the doctor we had requested, but in fact a hospital doctor.
The nurse asked me if I was hungry. I of course was. She brought me that dry turkey and cheese sandwich and ginger ale. *sigh* I just couldn’t! It was that bad! I handed it back to her. This was 5:00PM the next day and I wasn’t THAT hungry! And, I’m still not drinking sugar!

They brought me my first meal. Meatloaf. Well, I guess low sodium is no taste. Seriously??? They don’t know how to put some flavor in food without salt? It wasn’t like ground beef. It was like a thick pate’. The massed potatoes were fake. The green beans were canned and overcooked. White bread and fake butter with 1% milk. Trust me when I say hospital food is not healthy! I didn’t eat the white bread, fake butter or colored water!

That evening I was hungry and asked if they had anything to snack on. The nurse brought me saltines and ginger ale. Saltines???? I can’t have salt on my food but salt and sugar for a snack is ok??? I of course refused. She asked if I was diabetic and told me she could bring me ice cream. I guess fruit in the hospital is out of the question.

Now… I notice they are still taking blood. I questioned the blood letting and the lady said they were checking to see if some levels were elevated. I asked if they didn’t find that out in 3 tests.. She said yes. I told her to check on it as they had gone WAY past the three tests! She went ahead and took my blood and said she would ask the nurse when she was through. Huh??? Wouldn’t you ask the nurse first???

Next an internist came in and asked me the same questions everyone else had asked me. Clearly NO ONE had even looked at my chart! After answering all the questions, she informed me the problem was that I didn’t know how to breathe deeply! She wanted me to do some sort of therapy. A therapy that would include taking steroids. I told her breathing deeply wasn’t the problem… I knew how to breathe deep. I was a Beachbody coach… It’s part of the job! She didn’t know what that meant nor did she care.

The internist sent in a Pulmonary Doctor. He made it to my room later that evening. He had read my chart! I think he was the only one. He asked questions according to my chart. He looked up Beachbody. He checked my body and listened to me. He told me I had pulled a muscle in my chest. It was causing me pain as I wasn’t letting it relax. He gave me sound instructions and he LISTENED to me. He sat down and talked to me. He said I certainly didn’t need to learn how to breathe deeply.

The food in the hospital is probably the most unhealthy I’ve seen. A diet of that food for very long will kill you. So much so… One of the nurses told us she won’t eat it.

I never saw anyone from Citrus group. I’m not even sure is they wrote it down even though my husband made it clear several times I should see them.

Most of the staff didn’t listen to me. Scary when you are telling them not to do a treatment that you know you aren’t supposed to have and they do it anyway. Once I was checked into the hospital, I no longer had a say of what happened to my body. I found the experience scary. I would do everything in my power to never go back there!!!!

Lest you think I have never been in a Hospital. Not true. At 63, I have been in hospitals, my husband and my children have been in hospitals. This was the scary bad!!!

dbussone 02-14-2015 12:09 PM

Your care was abominable. The fact that they kept doing things without asking, listening, or explaining is even worse. Everyone who becomes a patient needs a vocal advocate to act on the patient's behalf. My wife is an RN and I worked in healthcare for 40 years. I apologize for the way you were treated. Please communicate your story to administration. If they don't know what happened they can't fix it for the next patient.

lanabanana73 02-14-2015 12:26 PM

Good grief! That was BAD.....really bad. As an RN who works in a small community hospital, I can say with assurity that some hospitals really do have good food (ours is amazing!) and have staff that listens and gives good care. My goodness, that was just awful. So sorry. I have heard bad things about health care in FL in general, and I expect to be working as an RN there sometime. I sure hope I can make a difference!

applesoffh 02-14-2015 12:26 PM

Sorry to read of your terrible experience. That's awful! I was taken by ambulance to THRH in late March and had wonderful care during the two days I was there.

The Buckeyes 02-14-2015 12:36 PM

Totally Unacceptable!!!!!

CFrance 02-14-2015 12:42 PM

I suggest putting this whole thing you have posted into business letter form, and file a complaint with the hospital and any state agency available. You will get a brush-off call or letter from the hospital's HR department (what happened to me at a hospital up north), but a complaint with a state agency will at least be registered. Unfortunately, I don't know what agency. Perhaps others can suggest one.

jflynn1 02-14-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiefox10 (Post 1012276)
I went to The Villages ER on Saturday February 7th, 2015 with chest pains. (FYI my heart and total health is GREAT!) They immediately took me to a room and hooked me up to monitors and placed a nitro patch on my chest.

My husband made it clear several times he wanted me to see his cardiologist at the Citrus Group. I’m throwing that in now, all will become clear.

I laid on a gurney for hours in the ER waiting for a room. I hadn’t had much to eat or drink before that so my husband asked if they could get me some food or water. I don’t know what the response was… but I didn’t receive food or water. He finally found a vending machine and purchased some water for me. The only thing in the vending machines to eat was junk, and I don’t eat junk. (I am a Beachbody Coach and have gotten to enjoy healthy food.) My husband asked again and again for something for me to eat. Finally they brought me a dry tasteless turkey and cheese sandwich and grapes. I was hungry… I ate! I entered the ER at 3:00 PM and made it to a room at 10:30. At one point I had asked if they could move me closer to the machines, I was hooked up to, as I was tangled up in the cords. They said that wasn’t possible and walked out. I told the nurse I had a horrible headache. She said it was from the Nitro and walked away… When she came back in, I asked if I could get something for the pain, she said she would get me something and walked out. 30 minutes later, she came back in, I asked about the meds for pain and she said she told another nurse to bring them… Didn’t I get them yet??? She went back out and got the meds and when she came back, she moved the Nitro from my chest to my ankle. She said that would move it away from my head and stop the headache.

They told me they would take blood three times to see if I was, or had had a heart attack. The lady taking the blood told me there are people who have been in the ER for up to 3 days and didn’t get a room! OH wow….. I wasn’t on a bed, but a gurney! Not comfortable!

I sent my husband home to take care of our pets who needed meds and to be fed and told him I would let him know when I was in a room.

At 9:20 someone came in and told me he was taking me to my room. This gentleman left….. at 9:40 a nurse came in and told me I had a room… hmmmm I was told I had a room 20 minutes ago…. At 10:03… I was finally in a room. The nurse there took my patch off so the headache went away.

The nurse said I was scheduled for a stress test for the next day, did I want to eat something. I said yes. He brought me the dry turkey cheese sandwich again and Ginger Ale. I tried eating it. I just couldn’t! I took the bread off and tried eating the cheese and turkey. I could only eat one bite of that. I don’t drink carbonated drinks and I don’t drink sugar so I drank some of the water. By that time I was so exhausted, I fell asleep.

The next day the PA came in and told me they were going to do a Stress Test on me. Asked if I could walk the treadmill. I told him I could…. I explained I was a Beachbody Coach and did extensive workouts. He didn’t know what I was talking about and didn’t seem to want to look it up. It might had given them an indicator of my health… but… Whatever…. So, it was decided that I would walk the treadmill. When I was taken down for the Stress Test they laid me on a gurney and said they were doing a chemical test instead of walking the treadmill. I was very agitated about this. I didn’t want anything else put in my system and told them this. I also told them the Dr. and specifically said I would be walking the treadmill. They ignored my request and never called the Dr. to find out what he wanted. They just went ahead and did the chemical test. BTW, the Dr. was in the hospital and they were aware of it.

When I got back up to my room, the Doctor came in and he asked if there was a reason I couldn’t walk the test. When I told him what happened, he was surprised and clearly didn’t order that. I would like to add that this was not the doctor we had requested, but in fact a hospital doctor.
The nurse asked me if I was hungry. I of course was. She brought me that dry turkey and cheese sandwich and ginger ale. *sigh* I just couldn’t! It was that bad! I handed it back to her. This was 5:00PM the next day and I wasn’t THAT hungry! And, I’m still not drinking sugar!

They brought me my first meal. Meatloaf. Well, I guess low sodium is no taste. Seriously??? They don’t know how to put some flavor in food without salt? It wasn’t like ground beef. It was like a thick pate’. The massed potatoes were fake. The green beans were canned and overcooked. White bread and fake butter with 1% milk. Trust me when I say hospital food is not healthy! I didn’t eat the white bread, fake butter or colored water!

That evening I was hungry and asked if they had anything to snack on. The nurse brought me saltines and ginger ale. Saltines???? I can’t have salt on my food but salt and sugar for a snack is ok??? I of course refused. She asked if I was diabetic and told me she could bring me ice cream. I guess fruit in the hospital is out of the question.

Now… I notice they are still taking blood. I questioned the blood letting and the lady said they were checking to see if some levels were elevated. I asked if they didn’t find that out in 3 tests.. She said yes. I told her to check on it as they had gone WAY past the three tests! She went ahead and took my blood and said she would ask the nurse when she was through. Huh??? Wouldn’t you ask the nurse first???

Next an internist came in and asked me the same questions everyone else had asked me. Clearly NO ONE had even looked at my chart! After answering all the questions, she informed me the problem was that I didn’t know how to breathe deeply! She wanted me to do some sort of therapy. A therapy that would include taking steroids. I told her breathing deeply wasn’t the problem… I knew how to breathe deep. I was a Beachbody coach… It’s part of the job! She didn’t know what that meant nor did she care.

The internist sent in a Pulmonary Doctor. He made it to my room later that evening. He had read my chart! I think he was the only one. He asked questions according to my chart. He looked up Beachbody. He checked my body and listened to me. He told me I had pulled a muscle in my chest. It was causing me pain as I wasn’t letting it relax. He gave me sound instructions and he LISTENED to me. He sat down and talked to me. He said I certainly didn’t need to learn how to breathe deeply.

The food in the hospital is probably the most unhealthy I’ve seen. A diet of that food for very long will kill you. So much so… One of the nurses told us she won’t eat it.

I never saw anyone from Citrus group. I’m not even sure is they wrote it down even though my husband made it clear several times I should see them.

Most of the staff didn’t listen to me. Scary when you are telling them not to do a treatment that you know you aren’t supposed to have and they do it anyway. Once I was checked into the hospital, I no longer had a say of what happened to my body. I found the experience scary. I would do everything in my power to never go back there!!!!

Lest you think I have never been in a Hospital. Not true. At 63, I have been in hospitals, my husband and my children have been in hospitals. This was the scary bad!!!

I would suggest you contact Don Hahnfeldt, he is on the Board, The Chairman I believe, of Central Florida Health Alliance, Owners of The Villages Hospital a Villages Resident and also The Chainman for the Sumter County Commissioners. He recently announced that he would be seeking Marlene O’Toooles position as a State Representative I believe he can be contacted at Don.Hahnfeldt@sumtercountyfl.gov (352)-689-4400. Hopefully he is much more than just a politician. I am sure he can be of assistance and respond to your concerns

delima2000 02-14-2015 12:54 PM

After hearing your story I think I want to go to munroe hospital in ocala. My brother was just there for not feeling good. Took him right in got all of the attention and come to find out he was having a massive heart attack. They wasted no time got him into surgery. Stayed two days and said the food was great and all of the rooms are private. I was in the villages hospital for surgery and stayed two days and the food was terrible and I was in a room with another person that kept me awake with all of her groaning and the communications between the staff and the doctors were ok but could have been better.

bargee 02-14-2015 01:52 PM

Have you filed this complaint with TVRH administration and the State Board of Health?If not why not?

gomoho 02-14-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargee (Post 1012378)
Have you filed this complaint with TVRH administration and the State Board of Health?If not why not?

Give her a break - she just got home.

angiefox10 02-14-2015 02:34 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 1012393)
Give her a break - she just got home.

Awe Thanks gomoho... I appreciate your support. As you know, this isn't my first rodeo...

Of course I plan to send this to the hospital AND some of the people on the board. That was the reason I took the time to write it all out.

However, while writing it, I decided to share it in three different sites. Interesting the responses I'm getting. Some think it's about bad tasting food when it's about unhealthy over processed food. Some think it's about rude people. No one was rude. Most just agreed and told of their own scary experiences in the hospital. Some want to tell of how the hospital saved their lives... Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Most of the people who responded from the health care profession told of other hospitals to go to... BTW.. The number one choice for health care professionals in The Villages... Ocala!

PTennismom0202 02-14-2015 02:58 PM

The federal government has begun to report data on hospital performance, although it's very challenging to differentiate them on a statistically significant level and most consumers don't make use of the data. Small differences are important. You may be interested in The Villages Hospital poor performance on patient experience (aka patient satisfaction). Hospital Compare Quality of Care Profile Page If you look further on hospital.gov you'll see that the patient's time in the ER is much higher than average.

graciegirl 02-14-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTennismom0202 (Post 1012414)
The federal government has begun to report data on hospital performance, although it's very challenging to differentiate them on a statistically significant level and most consumers don't make use of the data. Small differences are important. You may be interested in The Villages Hospital poor performance on patient experience (aka patient satisfaction). Hospital Compare Quality of Care Profile Page If you look further on hospital.gov you'll see that the patient's time in the ER is much higher than average.

I look at that part, this way.

We have a lot of older people with a great deal more health problems here in The Villages than a place with a general population.

AND I must further add that soon the new addition to the hospital will be opened and hopefully alleviate some crowding in the emergency area that seems to happen every year at high season.

The other issues of not healthy food etc, of course will not be made better by the Morses building a nice big building.

Madelaine Amee 02-14-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiefox10 (Post 1012400)
Awe Thanks gomoho... I appreciate your support. As you know, this isn't my first rodeo...

Of course I plan to send this to the hospital AND some of the people on the board. That was the reason I took the time to write it all out.

However, while writing it, I decided to share it in three different sites. Interesting the responses I'm getting. Some think it's about bad tasting food when it's about unhealthy over processed food. Some think it's about rude people. No one was rude. Most just agreed and told of their own scary experiences in the hospital. Some want to tell of how the hospital saved their lives... Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Most of the people who responded from the health care profession told of other hospitals to go to... BTW.. The number one choice for health care professionals in The Villages... Ocala!

That comment was unnecessary. Both my husband and I have had excellent results from TV hospital and have (so far) no complaints. However, as far as the food is concerned, my husband did not like the food and I was told to bring him in fruit and yoghurt, which I did. When I was in I ordered fruit and yoghurt from their menu - no problem with that. Plus, the last thing I worried about in the hospital was food .............. but, then, that's just me!

justjim 02-14-2015 03:40 PM

My wife had a "bad Experence" this summer in a Central Illinois hospital that I had a "good Experence" five years ago. The big difference----caring, competent and professional nursing staff that I had five years ago and the opposite for her stay. Also, it appeared to me that the nurses station was always busy working at their computers rather than providing "care" for the patients. Perhaps new required government paper work?

I could go on and on about her hospital stay but suffice it to say that it was much less than what one would call adequate and it was a "good thing" that I was there to help. And the costs were outrageous!

Bottom line----I'm guessing it's not just The Village Hospital but there are "hospital issues" everywhere.