Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   No more waiting for hot water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/no-more-waiting-hot-water-143519/)

Rickg 02-15-2015 10:56 AM

No more waiting for hot water
 
Purchased a hot water recirculating pump from Home Depot yesterday for $200 and installed it in About two hours. No more waiting for hot water, works great! They are about $150 on Amazon, but I didn't want to wait. I highly recommend. This if you need to run your water a long time before it is hot.

rubicon 02-15-2015 11:01 AM

what do you define as a long wait for hot water?

pklein9747 02-15-2015 11:06 AM

What brand was it? Where is it installed? How difficult was it to install? We are so tired of wasting water waiting for it to get hot.

theorem painter 02-15-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1012885)
what do you define as a long wait for hot water?

Washing and rinsing my face and the water is still ice cold.

Rickg 02-15-2015 12:00 PM

The brand is Watts at Lowes or Home Depot

Rickg 02-15-2015 12:32 PM

It's fairly easy to install. Look up on you tube there are several instructional videos on the subject

Paper1 02-15-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1012875)
Purchased a hot water recirculating pump from Home Depot yesterday for $200 and installed it in About two hours. No more waiting for hot water, works great! They are about $150 on Amazon, but I didn't want to wait. I highly recommend. This if you need to run your water a long time before it is hot.

I'd be very interested to know how much more power you will consume for this convience. The water systems in homes in Villages are not energy efficient. I suspect your water heater will be drawing a lot more current as heat will be transfered to ground where pipes run continuously. The higher the water temp the more energy transfer will happen. Am I misunderstanding how these pumps work? Where is our physics instructor?

DeanFL 02-15-2015 01:05 PM

I bought one on Amazon and had it installed along with our water softener. The small circ pump is a Watts and fits in the hot water exit line from the water heater. A small valve unit is also required on the furthest hot water - in our case, the master bathroom - installs under the vanity. This allows a link to the cold water sytem so the hot water can circ enough.

Before install it took a good 30 secs for the hot water to become warm. Now, it's actually HOT in a second - really. Have no clue how much more the water heater needs to run/energy cost. I would believe it is a very small price to pay for comfort and running less water. My sig other would certainly echo that - It's a godsend in her words.

The unit has a timer, and we have it running from 7AM to 11PM.

Mike Scott plumbing installed, great. BTW 2 of our neighbors had it installed after us...word of mouth - Mike Scott supplied the unit and install.


Instant Hot Water Recirculating System - What's New - Watts

kstew43 02-15-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1012885)
what do you define as a long wait for hot water?

i actually got a 2 gallon pitcher, from my kitchen, started the shower, used the removeable head and filled the pitcher till the water ran warm.

filled the pitcher to the top.... so I am wasting about 2 gallons every time i run the sink or the shower...

crazy....right....

rjm1cc 02-15-2015 01:20 PM

The timer is a good idea.
I set mine to run at the times we would normally use it.
You will use more energy to heat the circulating water so this is probably not a cost savings device.

TrudyM 02-15-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1013010)
I bought one on Amazon and had it installed along with our water softener. The small circ pump is a Watts and fits in the hot water exit line from the water heater. A small valve unit is also required on the furthest hot water - in our case, the master bathroom - installs under the vanity. This allows a link to the cold water sytem so the hot water can circ enough.

Before install it took a good 30 secs for the hot water to become warm. Now, it's actually HOT in a second - really. Have no clue how much more the water heater needs to run/energy cost. I would believe it is a very small price to pay for comfort and running less water. My sig other would certainly echo that - It's a godsend in her words.

The unit has a timer, and we have it running from 7AM to 11PM.

Mike Scott plumbing installed, great. BTW 2 of our neighbors had it installed after us...word of mouth - Mike Scott supplied the unit and install.


Instant Hot Water Recirculating System - What's New - Watts

I had one when I lived in Atlanta, the installation on the plumbing was easy but I had to pull a line and wire an electric plug inside the cabinet. Did you have to do the same?
Mine said it cost the same as a 35 watt light bulb when running and it only ran for twice a day how we had the timer set. The only negative is that if it has just run you get warm water out of the cold line for a for a sec., as it works by cycling the hot side into the cold line until it reads hot water coming, but we loved ours and figured not wasting the water off set the cost of running it.

karostay 02-15-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1012942)
The brand is Watts at Lowes or Home Depot

Watts great product have on in my Maine home five years now cost about as much to run as an alarm clock

Sweet Caroline 02-15-2015 03:32 PM

I had a tankless water heater before we moved here. So I was amazed at how much water we wasted just waiting for it to get warm enough to wash my face in the master bath! Had Mike Scott install the re-circ pump and love it. Only problem is that we have warm water on the cold side when the water is first turned on but I don't drink it out of the faucet anyway. I believe that the re-circ pump just moves the already-hot water so I don't think the heater is working any harder. We did have to add a electrical outlet in the mechanical closet in the garage for the plug in. Something else I have noticed is the the floor going from the living room into the guest bath area stays warm. Guess the hot water pipe was not buried deep enough:)

Rickg 02-15-2015 04:52 PM

You do need an electrical outlet near the hot water heater. I bridged off the one on the other side of the wall in the kitchen, so there was no running wire from the attic.

cms36 02-15-2015 05:20 PM

We keep an old 5 gallon paint bucket next to our shower and throw that under the shower head while the water is warming up and use it for watering plants.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.