Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   A new approach for discussion topics---Do you want to try? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/new-approach-discussion-topics-do-you-want-try-143775/)

tomwed 02-16-2015 07:16 PM

A new approach for discussion topics---Do you want to try?

Today on the Diane Rehms show she had a discussion with Susan Greenfield who is the author of: "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains." Susan is a neuroscientist who studied how frequent exposure to social media sites, search engines, video games and other digital technology affects our brains.The discussion touched upon some of the topics in an active thread and some that were discussed in other threads.

This gave me an idea.

Anyone can listen to her show[s]. Here is the link The Diane Rehm Show - One of her guests is always you.

Anyone can pick a show to be discussed on TOTV. If there is a rule about who can participate it would be anyone who listened to the show could participate.

Diane from time to time gives an opinion but the show is not about her. She asks good questions. I will warn you that her speech pattern seems a little off, too slow. This is a condition she has. Quite frankly I like the fact that she speaks slowly and clearly. And she's our age.

What do you think? Could a topical discussion where we all listened to the same show before commenting be interesting?

Bogie Shooter 02-16-2015 07:47 PM

Would dog poop, roundabouts, irs, house prices, etc. be excluded?

Wandatime 02-16-2015 07:55 PM

I love the Diane Rehm show and listened to the one you mentioned. I also liked the way she handled a caller who wanted to digress from the topic. She was professional but firm. I like listening to shows like this on NPR because they are in depth, the guests are always polite to each other even when in disagreement, and a wide breadth of topics are discussed. To do something like that on this forum would be . . . epic.

tomwed 02-16-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1013936)
Would dog poop, roundabouts, irs, house prices, etc. be excluded?

give this show a listen. I think you will enjoy it. click here

Give it 5 minutes.

tomwed 02-16-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandatime (Post 1013943)
I love the Diane Rehm show and listened to the one you mentioned. I also liked the way she handled a caller who wanted to digress from the topic. She was professional but firm. I like listening to shows like this on NPR because they are in depth, the guests are always polite to each other even when in disagreement, and a wide breadth of topics are discussed. To do something like that on this forum would be . . . epic.

thank-you
That's the idea.
Today was a great show. I learned quite a bit a bit about how the mind works and is affected by technology.
I had no idea that reading a book is not the same as reading the same information on a screen.

Polar Bear 02-16-2015 08:36 PM

I haven't watched the show...yet. But the idea sounds interesting anyway.

Bucco 02-16-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1013954)
thank-you
That's the idea.
Today was a great show. I learned quite a bit a bit about how the mind works and is affected by technology.
I had no idea that reading a book is not the same as reading the same information on a screen.

You may like this.....

Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains by Susan Greenfield, book review - Reviews - Books - The Independent

Perhaps this was a guest ??/

DougB 02-16-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1013912)
Today on the Diane Rehms show she had a discussion with Susan Greenfield who is the author of: "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains." Susan is a neuroscientist who studied how frequent exposure to social media sites, search engines, video games and other digital technology affects our brains.The discussion touched upon some of the topics in an active thread and some that were discussed in other threads.

This gave me an idea.

Anyone can listen to her show[s]. Here is the link The Diane Rehm Show - One of her guests is always you.

Anyone can pick a show to be discussed on TOTV. If there is a rule about who
can participate it would be anyone who listened to the show could participate.

Diane from time to time gives an opinion but the show is not about her. She asks good questions. I will warn you that her speech pattern seems a little off, too slow. This is a condition she has. Quite frankly I like the fact that she speaks slowly and clearly. And she's our age.

What do you think? Could a topical discussion where we all listened to the same show before commenting be interesting?

I find it more fun to post and give unsolicited advise on things I really know nothing about.

NYGUY 02-16-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1013985)
I find it more fun to post and give unsolicited advise on things I really know nothing about.

LOL....we already knew that....

tomwed 02-16-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1013976)

That's who was on the show.

Average Guy 02-16-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1013912)

Not everyone who reads TOTV is her age - she is 78.

tomwed 02-16-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1013976)

good review
Did you catch this stat?
"According to the UK law firm Divorce Online, Facebook was implicated in 33 per cent of marriage breakups in 2011, which makes it the greatest serial co-respondent of all time."

I spend a lot of time online, probably too much. A movie is usually on in the background that takes mos to my attention.

The book and the show is about how much the world has changed from when we were young and how kids that are born into the digital age are affected by technology.

tomwed 02-16-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Guy (Post 1014001)
Not everyone who reads TOTV is her age - she is 78.

I'm 62. She asks questions that someone who has been around would ask. She has a quick mind.