Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   What's up with shingles? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/whats-up-shingles-143895/)

TheVillageChicken 02-17-2015 04:26 PM

What's up with shingles?

Is shingles more prevalent these days? Every time I go to the doc, they ask if I want a shingles vaccine. I am seeing shingles treatment ads on TV all the time. Is this related to The Affordable Care Act? I have had doctors apologize for asking certain questions or making me aware of certain treatments and they blame it on Obamacare, saying they are now required to ask or counsel.

I guess what I really want to know is do I need a shingles vaccine?

rosygail 02-17-2015 04:31 PM

I had a vaccine in November 0f 2012. I got shingles in January 2013. The vaccine only works about 50% of the time. I was in the unlucky 50%.

dewilson58 02-17-2015 04:36 PM

I've also heard the 50/50..............but what the hell, it might just help.

Barefoot 02-17-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosygail (Post 1014471)
I had a vaccine in November 0f 2012. I got shingles in January 2013. The vaccine only works about 50% of the time. I was in the unlucky 50%.

Over the years, I've had shingles twice. Caught it immediately each time, so no problems.
When the vaccine became available, I immediately got a shot.
I was told that if you are in the unlucky 50% that gets shingles, the results are less severe.

graciegirl 02-17-2015 04:47 PM

Get the vaccine. I am not a doctor but I know one.

Navy (SSBN 633) 02-17-2015 04:49 PM

My wife had the shingles and was extremely painful and dilabating.....I got the shot....an ounce of prevention. She did not have the shot

jblum315 02-17-2015 04:49 PM

If you ever had chicken pox, you have the shingles virus in you. And it's very bad if you get it.
I think the vaccine ony became available fairy recently and that's why they're pushing it. May not prevent shingles but surely makes it milder

bimmertl 02-17-2015 04:53 PM

Shingles vaccine: Should I get it? - Mayo Clinic

iaasah 02-17-2015 04:56 PM

You are all right! But get the shot even though it is only 50/50. My significant other had the shot and got shingles.....severe case and still has the nerve pain after 1 and 1/2 yrs. She still is glad she had the shot however. Not all cases are as bad as she had.

juneroses 02-17-2015 05:10 PM

The risk of contracting shingles increases as we get older.

I had shingles in the early 90's, before there was a vaccine or an antiviral that would lessen its severity. I'll never forget the pain! As soon the vaccine was generally available, I was in line.

Providing you don't have conditions which advise against the vaccine, you'll rue the day you didn't get the shot if you ever come down with shingles. The pain doesn't last just a day or two, it goes on and on.

Shimpy 02-17-2015 05:37 PM

Medicare doesn't cover it and neither does my secondary insurance. $225. per shot at Walgreens. But...from what I heard, it's worth it to avoid shingles. I'm 90% sure I never had chicken pox and my wife doesn't know about herself, so it's a gamble.

graciegirl 02-17-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpy (Post 1014531)
Medicare doesn't cover it and neither does my secondary insurance. $225. per shot at Walgreens. But...from what I heard, it's worth it to avoid shingles. I'm 90% sure I never had chicken pox and my wife doesn't know about herself, so it's a gamble.

I think Medicare does cover it Shimpy, but you must have a doctor's order to take to the pharmacy. It doesn't matter if you had Chicken Pox or not, the threat is the same. Herpes Zoster can reactivate, and that is what causes Shingles. And friends have told me the pain is something like having your skin ripped off, and it doesn't stop for three weeks and sometimes longer..

Gerald 02-17-2015 06:06 PM

My daughter is a doctor and she told my wife and myself that it is a good idea to take the shot. especially if you are over 50 years of age.

Mudder 02-17-2015 06:29 PM

There are other extremely debilitating syndromes that also come from the zoster virus. I know because I've had one for the past 17 months. It's rare, had to go to Shands to an expert....however I will say my primary care doctor here knew I needed specialized care and referred me there. The nerve pain and paralysis is unbelievable. It's with me forever, but has calmed down a lot in the past months. It has affected my sight, hearing, balance also. I had the vaccine about 3 years ago. So, yes, get the vaccine because it will at least temper things if you do get Shingles or related issues.

KayakerNC 02-17-2015 07:20 PM

"Shingles shot
How often is it covered?

The shingles shot isn’t covered by Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). Generally, Medicare prescription drug plans (Part D) cover all commercially-available vaccines (like the shingles shot) needed to prevent illness. Contact your Medicare drug plan for more information about coverage."

Shingles shot | Medicare.gov