Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Electric plugs in newer homes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/electric-plugs-newer-homes-144203/)

FoPAA 02-19-2015 04:18 PM

Electric plugs in newer homes

My plugs are driving me crazy!!! Our house is about a year and a half old, and all of the electric plugs have some sort of blocking thingie so you can't put in a plug - well, I can't put in a plug. Is there a trick that anyone knows of? I've tried wiggling, approaching from a different angle i.e. from higher up, from lower down, etc. The plugs have not gotten any better over time, and it's very frustrating. I'm thinking this is some sort of child proofing in the building code? Please tell me the trick!

graciegirl 02-19-2015 04:20 PM

Wellllllllllllllllllll. They are kind of virginal. It does get better over time.:D

FoPAA 02-19-2015 04:32 PM

Mine must have a chastity belt installed! :1rotfl:

Rango 02-19-2015 04:35 PM

Plugs must be pushed in even. If you push them in crooked or wiggle them-no go.

ffresh 02-19-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoPAA (Post 1015838)
My plugs are driving me crazy!!! Our house is about a year and a half old, and all of the electric plugs have some sort of blocking thingie so you can't put in a plug - well, I can't put in a plug. Is there a trick that anyone knows of? I've tried wiggling, approaching from a different angle i.e. from higher up, from lower down, etc. The plugs have not gotten any better over time, and it's very frustrating. I'm thinking this is some sort of child proofing in the building code? Please tell me the trick!

It's called a "tamper-proof receptacle". Basically, its function is to prevent children from inserting devices into the openings that would present a "wish I hadn't done that" event! Sometimes (OK ... always) it takes a bit of force to insert a plug into the receptacle. If you find it a bit overwhelming, just repeat the mantra, over and over, government knows what's best for me and you'll feel MUCH BETTER :mad:

Fred

DangeloInspections 02-19-2015 07:06 PM

What everyone so far said is true. They are called Tamper Resistant receptacles and they are a requirement of the 2010 electrical code. Putting the plug in straight and wiggling them a bit usually works fine.

TrudyM 02-19-2015 07:30 PM

If you have a plug that you use all the time, it is easy to replace with a regular one. It is very simple but if you are not up for it any good handyman or an electrician can change it out in about 10 min.

billethkid 02-19-2015 07:34 PM

just what we need in a retirement community is child proof electrical recepticals.

I would guess the contractor got a deal on the recepticals.

nkrifats 02-19-2015 07:49 PM

They have to build to code. Why would you think he got a deal?

rjm1cc 02-19-2015 08:09 PM

Also note that the holes you are plugging into are different sizes. On some plugs one prong is wider than the other.

coffeebean 02-19-2015 08:32 PM

From the National Fire Protection Association.....

Tamper-resistant electrical receptacles

TNLAKEPANDA 02-26-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1015839)
Wellllllllllllllllllll. They are kind of virginal. It does get better over time.:D

Best laugh of the day!

Thank you!

champion6 02-27-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoPAA (Post 1015838)

I have a three-prong extension cord that was frustrating to use. In fact I couldn't get it into any outlet. After carefully inspecting the cord, I discovered that one prong was slightly longer than the other! The only way I can get the plug into the outlet is to angle it so the shorter prong goes in first. I don't have this problem with all my other "normal" extension cords.

RickeyD 03-12-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenhart Electric (Post 1027554)
Tamper resistant receptacles provide compliance with 2014 NEC[emoji768] Article 406.12 which states that all 15A and 20A, 125V/AC receptacles installed in dwelling units must be tamper resistant.

I just ran across this and recalled this thread & thought I'd post...

As soon as I move into my house I will be replacing these with standard receptacles (the most used). They are a royal pain in the butt. I won't be sticking my tongue into one of these anytime soon.

JoMar 03-12-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickeyD (Post 1027561)
As soon as I move into my house I will be replacing these with standard receptacles (the most used). They are a royal pain in the butt. I won't be sticking my tongue into one of these anytime soon.

Funny

CFrance 03-12-2015 05:27 PM

Huh! We found the opposite, that angling the plug at the start of plugging in worked fine. Still does. When we first moved in, I thought the receptacles were all jammed. They wouldn't accept a plug when it was pushed straight in. Then our neighbor said to angle, and that's what works for us.

faulguy112 03-13-2015 04:09 PM

I could train you for $50. LOL

l2ridehd 03-13-2015 05:20 PM

What is interesting to me is that when I go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a receptacle, none of them are these type, but all the old type. So if it's a NEC requirement, why are the old style still sold?

JoMar 03-13-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1028101)
What is interesting to me is that when I go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a receptacle, none of them are these type, but all the old type. So if it's a NEC requirement, why are the old style still sold?

New construction code vs replacements.