Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   List of words that should be banished (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/list-words-should-banished-144219/)

DougB 02-19-2015 06:12 PM

List of words that should be banished

Besides, "Tom, please stop posting", her is a list of words that should be banished.

Lake Superior State University :: Banished Words List :: Complete List

sunnyatlast 02-19-2015 07:17 PM

Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you.

These are some on the list that are still around, unfortunately:

"It is what it is." (Translation: I don't want to say what I really think. Someone might be offended.)

"Issues". (Example: The pitcher is having shoulder issues going into Game 7 of the World Series. Or, Bruce Jenner is having some gender issues.)

"It's all good."

:ohdear:

tomjbud 02-19-2015 07:23 PM

How about "busted" as in: "His car was busted into".

chuckinca 02-19-2015 10:23 PM

Alexander Haig near top of list . . . kinda an old list.

sunnyatlast 02-19-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 1016068)
Alexander Haig near top of list . . . kinda an old list.

No, it's current. The 2015 list of nominated phrases and words is linked at the top of the menu on left side. Here is a good one:

FOODIE

Many nominations over the past several years. Is it a Michigan thing?

"It's ridiculous. Do we call people who like wine 'winies' or beer lovers 'beeries'?" – Randall Chamberlain, Traverse City, Mich.

"'Someone who enjoys food' applies to everyone on Earth. What's next? 'Oh, I'm an airie; I just love to breathe.' 'Could we do it at 11, instead? I'm kind of a sleepie.'" – Andy Poe, Marquette, Mich.

"I crave good sleep, too, but that does not make me a sleepie. News flash: We ALL like food." – Graydeon DeCamp, Elk Rapids, Mich.

"I've heard of cooks and chefs, and gourmets and gourmands, but what the heck is a 'foodie'? A person who likes food? A person who eats food? A person who knows what food is? Sounds like 'foodie' is a synonym for 'everybody.' Foodies around the world agree; let's banish this term." – Steve Szilagyi, Mason, Mich.

Barefoot 02-20-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1015966)
Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you. :

Something that grates on my nerves:
When someone encounters ONE rude person in The Villages and says:
"I thought this was supposed to be Florida's friendliest hometown".

Other than that, it's all good. :evil6:

tippyclubb 02-20-2015 01:31 AM

Walt. 02-20-2015 01:31 AM

OK... how about
"is a religion of peace"

CFrance 02-20-2015 03:47 AM

How about banning "..." Or "///" or any other series of symbols meaning "I just said something rude, mean, nasty, etc, and now you know I did, and it was probably aimed at your last post, but you'll never know what it is, but you will know it was bad."

Yosemite 02-20-2015 06:45 AM

How about all the typos. Are we all so busy we can't take the time to re-read our posts before pushing the "send" button?

jblum315 02-20-2015 06:45 AM

I agree with many of the words/phrases. However, unique is a perfectly good word meaning one of a kind. What's wrong is "very unique," "kind of unique," "really unique" etc, etc.

NoMoSno 02-20-2015 09:10 AM

whatever............
just saying..........

graciegirl 02-20-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1016096)
Something that grates on my nerves:
When someone encounters ONE rude person in The Villages and says:
"I thought this was supposed to be Florida's friendliest hometown".

Other than that, it's all good. :evil6:

Damned straight, Bare.

dbussone 02-20-2015 09:32 AM

List of words that should be banished

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1016117)
How about banning "..." Or "///" or any other series of symbols meaning "I just said something rude, mean, nasty, etc, and now you know I did, and it was probably aimed at your last post, but you'll never know what it is, but you will know it was bad."

///!

graciegirl 02-20-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

I think I will say it is sometimes effective and sometimes not. And No. I don't work for the developer.

graciegirl 02-20-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1015920)
Besides, "Tom, please stop posting", her is a list of words that should be banished.

Lake Superior State University :: Banished Words List :: Complete List

And bumping OVER an annoying post isn't nice either.

Wandatime 02-20-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1016293)
And bumping OVER an annoying post isn't nice either.

I don't know what that means. Do I need to learn how to do it? Help me! :o

/// and "..."

Barefoot 02-20-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

*** :girlneener:

CFrance, but, but, but what if someone gets up in a bad mood and posts something cranky :mornincoffee: and then they have a coffee and say:
"Yikes, did I really say that" and they look for a delete button but it's disappeared! There is no delete button anymore.
So they are really sorry they were cranky, and they reconsider.
And to delete their post, they have to use 3 digits, could be ^^^ or *** or ### or ???

We all make mistakes.

dbussone 02-20-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1016335)
*** :girlneener:

CFrance, but, but, but what if someone gets up in a bad mood and posts something cranky :mornincoffee: and then they have a coffee and say:
"Yikes, did I really say that" and they look for a delete button but it's disappeared! There is no delete button anymore.
So they are really sorry they were cranky, and they reconsider.
And to delete their post, they have to use 3 digits, could be ^^^ or *** or ### or ???

We all make mistakes.

Excellent point. How about €€€ or 👿👿👿 or \\\?

redwitch 02-20-2015 12:07 PM

I always hated, "nothing," as a reply to, "what's wrong?" It should be banned from all vocabularies.

LndLocked 02-20-2015 12:46 PM

I think it just blows when some says .... sucks. :jester:

Uptown Girl 02-20-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1016081)

FOODIE

Many nominations over the past several years. Is it a Michigan thing?

"It's ridiculous. Do we call people who like wine 'winies' or beer lovers 'beeries'?" – Randall Chamberlain, Traverse City, Mich.

"'Someone who enjoys food' applies to everyone on Earth. What's next? 'Oh, I'm an airie; I just love to breathe.' 'Could we do it at 11, instead? I'm kind of a sleepie.'" – Andy Poe, Marquette, Mich.

"I crave good sleep, too, but that does not make me a sleepie. News flash: We ALL like food." – Graydeon DeCamp, Elk Rapids, Mich.

"I've heard of cooks and chefs, and gourmets and gourmands, but what the heck is a 'foodie'? A person who likes food? A person who eats food? A person who knows what food is? Sounds like 'foodie' is a synonym for 'everybody.' Foodies around the world agree; let's banish this term." – Steve Szilagyi, Mason, Mich.

You made me laugh!

Barefoot 02-20-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1016340)
Excellent point. How about €€€ or 👿👿👿 or \\\?

The kitty faces work for me. Where did you find them?
Whoops, sorry, I bet Sunnyatlast also hates the term "it works for me". :oops:

Uptown Girl 02-20-2015 12:54 PM

How about 'HOOD' as in neighborhood? That one annoys the //// out of me.

DruannB 02-20-2015 01:55 PM

I just left my classroom. Students use "alot" as if it's really a word, or as if it really SAYS anything. How much is a lot? One day when I'm bored I'll compile a list of things they say that make me want to run my fingernails down a chalkboard. Hmmm...too much coffee today?

dbussone 02-20-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1016412)
The kitty faces work for me. Where did you find them?
Whoops, sorry, I bet Sunnyatlast also hates the term "it works for me". :oops:

They are from some emoji or emoticon app.

CFrance 02-20-2015 04:04 PM

You are all very funny! But I don't know what bumping over someone's post means either.

I think some people use /// or ... to passive aggressively imply that they just posted some nasty reply and then deleted it but still want you to know that they said something nasty. I'd rather they bring the delete button back. Otherwise, think twice, post once.

That's myself story and I'm stickin' to it!:rant-rave::rant-rave::rant-rave:

CFrance 02-20-2015 04:05 PM

You are all very funny! But I don't know what bumping over someone's post means either.

I think some people use /// or ... to passive aggressively imply that they just posted some nasty reply and then deleted it but still want you to know that they said something nasty. I'd rather they bring the delete button back. Otherwise, think twice, post once.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:rant-rave::rant-rave::rant-rave:

Bonanza 02-20-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Girl (Post 1016416)
How about 'HOOD' as in neighborhood? That one annoys the //// out of me.

I don't think "hood" is a bad term.
It's more descriptive and it's colloquial use defines an exact area.
It tells you more than simply using the word neighborhood which doesn't tell you very much.
A "neighborhood" could be anywhere.

dbussone 02-20-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1016529)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:rant-rave::rant-rave::rant-rave:

CF - I don't know what the means either. I hope GG will enlighten us.

PS your last post was done twice. I think you thought once and posted twice. ::jester::

Villages PL 02-20-2015 04:25 PM

The word "moderation" pertaining to one's diet.

Do you think a person actually knows what a healthy diet is when they say, "just eat everything in moderation"?

It might mean that you can eat every junk-food item imaginable as long as you don't have it twice in one day.

Barefoot 02-20-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1016536)
CF - your last post was done twice. I think you thought once and posted twice. ::jester::

So CFrance, this is a GOTCHA :evil6:
--- a good example of when someone might want to *** one of their duplicate posts. :girlneener:

Villages PL 02-20-2015 04:35 PM

Everything in moderation

Everything in moderation, pertaining to life in general.

So if you're cheating on your spouse, it's okay as long as it's done moderately. If you get caught cheating, just say, "I only cheated four times this year. What's the big deal?

A moderate bank robber might say, "I only robbed two banks last year and one this year."

Bonanza 02-20-2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1016551)
Everything in moderation, pertaining to life in general.

So if you're cheating on your spouse, it's okay as long as it's done moderately. If you get caught cheating, just say, "I only cheated four times this year. What's the big deal?

A moderate bank robber might say, "I only robbed two banks last year and one this year."

Is this supposed to be funny???

Uptown Girl 02-20-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1016533)

I don't think "hood" is a bad term.
It's more descriptive and it's colloquial use defines an exact area.
It tells you more than simply using the word neighborhood which doesn't tell you very much.
A "neighborhood" could be anywhere.

It certainly does tell me more....

kcrazorbackfan 02-20-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

I thought I knew everything :D; I'm glad I know now what those symbols meant - A NEW TOOL TO USE!!

Villages PL 02-20-2015 05:02 PM

Boy Howdy! /// ...

No offense intended but I would ban the above words and symbols.

graciegirl 02-20-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1016568)
Boy Howdy! /// ...

No offense intended but I would ban the above words and symbols.

:girlneener::girlneener::girlneener: AND Boy Howdy.

Wandatime 02-20-2015 05:49 PM

///

:a20:

Loudoll 02-20-2015 07:29 PM

I hate this one so much it makes me sick to even share it but I can't pass up the chance to do so:
"Who peed in your cheerios?"