Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   List of words that should be banished (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/list-words-should-banished-144219/)

DougB 02-19-2015 06:12 PM

List of words that should be banished

Besides, "Tom, please stop posting", her is a list of words that should be banished.

Lake Superior State University :: Banished Words List :: Complete List

sunnyatlast 02-19-2015 07:17 PM

Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you.

These are some on the list that are still around, unfortunately:

"It is what it is." (Translation: I don't want to say what I really think. Someone might be offended.)

"Issues". (Example: The pitcher is having shoulder issues going into Game 7 of the World Series. Or, Bruce Jenner is having some gender issues.)

"It's all good."

:ohdear:

tomjbud 02-19-2015 07:23 PM

How about "busted" as in: "His car was busted into".

chuckinca 02-19-2015 10:23 PM

Alexander Haig near top of list . . . kinda an old list.

sunnyatlast 02-19-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 1016068)
Alexander Haig near top of list . . . kinda an old list.

No, it's current. The 2015 list of nominated phrases and words is linked at the top of the menu on left side. Here is a good one:

FOODIE

Many nominations over the past several years. Is it a Michigan thing?

"It's ridiculous. Do we call people who like wine 'winies' or beer lovers 'beeries'?" – Randall Chamberlain, Traverse City, Mich.

"'Someone who enjoys food' applies to everyone on Earth. What's next? 'Oh, I'm an airie; I just love to breathe.' 'Could we do it at 11, instead? I'm kind of a sleepie.'" – Andy Poe, Marquette, Mich.

"I crave good sleep, too, but that does not make me a sleepie. News flash: We ALL like food." – Graydeon DeCamp, Elk Rapids, Mich.

"I've heard of cooks and chefs, and gourmets and gourmands, but what the heck is a 'foodie'? A person who likes food? A person who eats food? A person who knows what food is? Sounds like 'foodie' is a synonym for 'everybody.' Foodies around the world agree; let's banish this term." – Steve Szilagyi, Mason, Mich.

Barefoot 02-20-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1015966)
Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you. :

Something that grates on my nerves:
When someone encounters ONE rude person in The Villages and says:
"I thought this was supposed to be Florida's friendliest hometown".

Other than that, it's all good. :evil6:

tippyclubb 02-20-2015 01:31 AM

Walt. 02-20-2015 01:31 AM

OK... how about
"is a religion of peace"

CFrance 02-20-2015 03:47 AM

How about banning "..." Or "///" or any other series of symbols meaning "I just said something rude, mean, nasty, etc, and now you know I did, and it was probably aimed at your last post, but you'll never know what it is, but you will know it was bad."

Yosemite 02-20-2015 06:45 AM

How about all the typos. Are we all so busy we can't take the time to re-read our posts before pushing the "send" button?

jblum315 02-20-2015 06:45 AM

I agree with many of the words/phrases. However, unique is a perfectly good word meaning one of a kind. What's wrong is "very unique," "kind of unique," "really unique" etc, etc.

NoMoSno 02-20-2015 09:10 AM

whatever............
just saying..........

graciegirl 02-20-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1016096)
Something that grates on my nerves:
When someone encounters ONE rude person in The Villages and says:
"I thought this was supposed to be Florida's friendliest hometown".

Other than that, it's all good. :evil6:

Damned straight, Bare.

dbussone 02-20-2015 09:32 AM

List of words that should be banished

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1016117)
How about banning "..." Or "///" or any other series of symbols meaning "I just said something rude, mean, nasty, etc, and now you know I did, and it was probably aimed at your last post, but you'll never know what it is, but you will know it was bad."

///!

graciegirl 02-20-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1016117)

I think I will say it is sometimes effective and sometimes not. And No. I don't work for the developer.