Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   strawberry festival (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/strawberry-festival-144599/)

lovinganimals 02-22-2015 08:40 AM

strawberry festival

Has anyone gone to the strawberry festival in Plant City? What is it like? Is it worth going to?

Bogie Shooter 02-22-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinganimals (Post 1017475)
Has anyone gone to the strawberry festival in Plant City? What is it like? Is it worth going to?

Yes, fun trip.
Florida Strawberry Festival

NYGUY 02-22-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

We use to live in the Tampa area, and I only went once because once was more than enough. It is like a county fair with strawberry shortcake thrown in!!

Villager Joyce 02-22-2015 12:01 PM

Much closer is the Strawberry Festival at Brownwood this Wednesday, february 25th, from noon to 4. See D14 in saturdays paper. Too much to type here.

jnieman 02-22-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1017542)
We use to live in the Tampa area, and I only went once because once was more than enough. It is like a county fair with strawberry shortcake thrown in!!

One other thing they have is great entertainment. This year one of the acts is Loretta Lynn. You can go on line to see who else is performing.

lynne 02-28-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Yes, my girlfriend and I went yesterday. Unfortunately it was cool, but that kept the crowds down. We walked the grounds, went to a couple of the entertainment venues - including Nathan Osmond which was free - had a "make your own strawberry shortcake" for $4 and then went to the Scotty McCreery show in the grandstand - open air venue - we took chair cushions and a blanket. It lasted 1 1/2 hrs. and they have screens so you can see up close if your seats aren't center stage. Small town version of a big town fair, but fun for a day trip out of The Villages. Took 301 S to 39A and parked across the street from the grounds for $10 - easy in and out. LOTS of food vendors.

Carl in Tampa 02-28-2015 01:56 PM

Strawberry Festival

Old line Floridians, and I count myself among them, consider the Strawberry Festival in Plant City to be far superior to the State Fair, which just ended.

Another poster likened it to a County Fair. OK, what's wrong with County Fairs? It has exhibits and entertainment, including both free presentations and ticketed national name stars.

The one thing that it does not have a history of having, which is commonplace at the State Fair, is hooliganism and violence.

And, there are lots of opportunities for strawberrry shortcake. You can get it on traditional sponge cake or on (of all things) a biscuit. Yum.

The entertainment schedule is at Headline Entertainment – Florida Strawberry Festival

patfla06 02-28-2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1017542)

I would have to agree.
We lived in Tampa and went once which was enough.

Jim33146 02-28-2015 04:15 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynne (Post 1020766)
Yes, my girlfriend and I went yesterday. Unfortunately it was cool, but that kept the crowds down. We walked the grounds, went to a couple of the entertainment venues - including Nathan Osmond which was free - had a "make your own strawberry shortcake" for $4 and then went to the Scotty McCreery show in the grandstand - open air venue - we took chair cushions and a blanket. It lasted 1 1/2 hrs. and they have screens so you can see up close if your seats aren't center stage. Small town version of a big town fair, but fun for a day trip out of The Villages. Took 301 S to 39A and parked across the street from the grounds for $10 - easy in and out. LOTS of food vendors.

We made the same trip and enjoyed it very much. But we are not from New York.

villagerjack 02-28-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim33146 (Post 1020994)
we made the same trip and enjoyed it very much. But we are not from new york.

wow!

dotti105 03-01-2015 05:11 PM

Growing up in Fl. we always looked forward to the festival!

Nice time of year, not too hot.

Great strawberry shortcake, milkshakes, pie, choc covered strawberries. You name it.
Good entertainment too. We got online too late this year. I would have loved to see John Legend, but sold out.

We eagerly went to the Brownwood "Strawberry Festival" last week. What a disappointment! (And we aren't disappointed at much here in the bubble. But this was a bummer.) 2 venders with strawberry shortcake. We picked the wrong one. It was frozen strawberries, not even thawed and maybe a Tbsp of whipped cream. Seeriously??

It should have been called the "Italian Sausage festival". More venders selling Italian Sausage than Strawberry treats. We are going to Plant City this week! Can't wait!!!
Tickets are $8.00 at Publix. ($2 less than at the gate)

Bobstr 03-01-2015 05:28 PM

I go at least 2X to the Strawberry Fest. each year. We went on Saturday late afternoon and saw The Red Head Express and then also saw the Dennis Lee Show. These are to not to be missed and are at the Brighthouse Tent. Saw Kevin Costner and wasn't impressed. Going again to see the Oak Ridge Boys thursday who are there often. Everyone is different but I wouldn't miss at least 2 days there.

rdhdleo 03-01-2015 10:28 PM

It's a great festival! Lots of great food and incredible entertainment. From name stars to rising stars. One of the best Florida has to offer! Plant City strawberries are the BEST!

LndLocked 03-01-2015 10:57 PM

It's a big fair in a small Fla town, with fairly big time county music and the best strawberrys on the planet.

If that appeals to you ... you will enjoy it.

bholland007 03-01-2015 11:34 PM

It is lots of fun, you have to go at least once in your adult life....