Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Muslims surround synagogue in peace circle (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/muslims-surround-synagogue-peace-circle-144676/)

blueash 02-22-2015 08:20 PM

Muslims surround synagogue in peace circle

1 Attachment(s)
In Norway this week at the only synagogue in that country, Muslims in a display of peace and support formed a symbolic protective ring around the temple. It is a great demonstration of what should be.

Norway's Muslims form protective human ring around synagogue | Reuters

sunnyatlast 02-22-2015 08:44 PM

Another view:

"The weekend’s feel-good story about a Muslim “ring of peace” formed to “protect” Jews at an Oslo synagogue turned out to be a complete fabrication by the mainstream media, according to an eyewitness report, local officials, and attendees’ photos.

According to a local eyewitness, only about 20 or so Muslims formed the “ring of peace” around the Oslo synagogue. In fact, pictures from multiple angles show that there wasn’t enough people to form a ring, so the locals instead formed a horizontal line in front of the synagogue……

…..."Ali Chishti, who organized the event, said bluntly in 2008, “I hate Jews and how they operate,” reports Daniel Greenfield. Chishti added in his conspiracy-laden rant about the Jewish people, “It is a fact that during the attacks on the Twin Towers [World Trade Center] 1600 Jews were absent from work. OK, OK, what’s even more suspicious, is how unusually many Jews there were present in Mumbai on the day that Pakistani terrorists struck. How come?”

At a March, 2008 meeting in Oslo promoting his 9/11 conspiracy theory that the Jews were responsible for the World Trade Center attacks, Chishti read his speech titled, “Therefore I Hate Jews And Gays,” Haaretz reports….."

Media Hoax: 20 Muslims Holding Hands Become 1,000-Strong 'Ring of Peace' at Oslo Synagogue - Breitbart

Beechie 02-22-2015 09:41 PM

Turns out to be the opposite of a feel good story. I can't wait for the retraction of this news item but I bet it will just fade away. First clue may have been the small number of supporters in the picture. I guess there were not that many who wanted to support that symbolic protective ring. As Sgt. Friday would say "just the facts" sir "just the facts".

Walt. 02-22-2015 09:55 PM

Even if they did form this "Peace Circle" what's the point? Just more meaningless empty gestures that do nothing but waste peoples time and give the media something to make a story out of. I'm sure that they were looking for a child to photograph so someone could say something like "... and a child shall lead them.." Then everyone could put on a serious face, nod, and feel good about it. If you look closely you just might see George Carlin...

Allegiance 02-22-2015 10:03 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...uwmc9fdf-vMy_H

shcisamax 02-22-2015 10:15 PM

I don't know which makes me sadder; that it was a media grab or that someone would feel that it would make no difference if it were true. If there were 20 muslims, then there were 20 muslims whose hearts were in the right place. How can that be wrong?

graciegirl 02-23-2015 06:50 AM

To the OP

I don't understand a lot of things. Sometimes the same people who make comments to sincere Christians on this forum..not kind comments, say things in support of Muslims, when I suspect that they themselves are atheists.

I don't understand a lot of things.

I am a Christian and I have friends who are Jews.

I am afraid of the radical people who behead Christians and kill Jews.

I like to hear and see things that show support from the Muslim Community.

We need great wisdom to know WHO are our friends and who are our enemies.

And know whether the Malls are safe.

Taltarzac725 02-23-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1017811)
Another view:

"The weekend’s feel-good story about a Muslim “ring of peace” formed to “protect” Jews at an Oslo synagogue turned out to be a complete fabrication by the mainstream media, according to an eyewitness report, local officials, and attendees’ photos.

According to a local eyewitness, only about 20 or so Muslims formed the “ring of peace” around the Oslo synagogue. In fact, pictures from multiple angles show that there wasn’t enough people to form a ring, so the locals instead formed a horizontal line in front of the synagogue……

…..."Ali Chishti, who organized the event, said bluntly in 2008, “I hate Jews and how they operate,” reports Daniel Greenfield. Chishti added in his conspiracy-laden rant about the Jewish people, “It is a fact that during the attacks on the Twin Towers [World Trade Center] 1600 Jews were absent from work. OK, OK, what’s even more suspicious, is how unusually many Jews there were present in Mumbai on the day that Pakistani terrorists struck. How come?”

At a March, 2008 meeting in Oslo promoting his 9/11 conspiracy theory that the Jews were responsible for the World Trade Center attacks, Chishti read his speech titled, “Therefore I Hate Jews And Gays,” Haaretz reports….."

Media Hoax: 20 Muslims Holding Hands Become 1,000-Strong 'Ring of Peace' at Oslo Synagogue - Breitbart

I would wait on judgment on this. Breitbart is not exactly the most accurate of sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitbart_%28website%29

redwitch 02-23-2015 07:47 AM

On the one hand, we have an article by Reuters, an agency I have long respected. On the other, we have Breitbart, a self-proclaimed conservative blog. Think I'll stick with the Reuters' version until I hear from a neutral source that it was all a hoax and that these Muslims were not sincere in their actions.

graciegirl 02-23-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1017905)
On the one hand, we have an article by Reuters, an agency I have long respected. On the other, we have Breitbart, a self-proclaimed conservative blog. Think I'll stick with the Reuters' version until I hear from a neutral source that it was all a hoax and that these Muslims were not sincere in their actions.

This from CNN

Worrisome.

Johnson warns Mall of America patrons - CNN.com

Taltarzac725 02-23-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1017911)

That is frightening. We do have to be on guard for attacks from radical Muslims and the MOA does look like a prime target. I read a book on just such an attack. This was a novel by Stephen Hunter called Soft Target. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Target-Thriller-Stephen-Hunter/dp/1439138710[/ame]

redwitch 02-23-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

What does a potential attack on a shopping mall have to do with Muslims speaking out against acts of violence? The threats to our malls are very real and something we need to be concerned about. Violence in malls, sadly, is nothing new. It has been done by Americans to Americans and probably will be done again in the future. Some will claim they are doing it for a cause, some will do it to get attention, some will do it because they are mentally ill. All will cause pain and fear.

We have a choice. We can live our lives the best we can. We can be afraid of potential violence and hide behind our walls. We can proclaim we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves and show we have the means to do so. I refuse to live my life in fear -- I've been there because of a very real threat and it is not living. I refuse to declare to the world that I am willing to meet violence with violence. I will live my life. I will stand tall and do the best I can to be an American, to not hate another because of their beliefs or skin color. I will applaud those who do the same, pity those who live in fear, avoid those who believe in violence.

graciegirl 02-23-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1017921)
What does a potential attack on a shopping mall have to do with Muslims speaking out against acts of violence? The threats to our malls are very real and something we need to be concerned about. Violence in malls, sadly, is nothing new. It has been done by Americans to Americans and probably will be done again in the future. Some will claim they are doing it for a cause, some will do it to get attention, some will do it because they are mentally ill. All will cause pain and fear.

We have a choice. We can live our lives the best we can. We can be afraid of potential violence and hide behind our walls. We can proclaim we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves and show we have the means to do so. I refuse to live my life in fear -- I've been there because of a very real threat and it is not living. I refuse to declare to the world that I am willing to meet violence with violence. I will live my life. I will stand tall and do the best I can to be an American, to not hate another because of their beliefs or skin color. I will applaud those who do the same, pity those who live in fear, avoid those who believe in violence.

I don't understand why it isn't the same issue. There is a lot of minimizing at the top. Changing the subject about a real issue. NOT calling it terror.

The person that posted this just last week made a comment to Kitty Gilchrist about "knowing" in the Biblical sense that I thought was unnecessary. I get from his posts that he is not religious at all. Which is fine...

I question why when I was upset about the bombing at the Boston Marathon that people on this forum said that it had nothing to do with Islamic terrorism. I question why any mention of Islamic terrorism is minimized by some. I question why people bring up the crusades like they happened last week and we Christians should cringe.

It really is the same issue, The fact that there are many good Muslims does not make the real issue go away and the fact that there are many good Christians does not make the real issue go away. And the fact that there are many mentally ill people and people who are Americans who kill Americans does not make this real issue that is affecting the world go away.

And that issue is the one that sparked the attacks on Jews in Norway that was the beginning of the story posted above.

Chi-Town 02-23-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

This should be a different thread. But nice try in justifying it.

kittygilchrist 02-23-2015 08:51 AM

Ok, I will start another thread and say...if a few Muslims did a good thing, I appreciate it, but in the big picture do not feel better.