Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Were YOU a paper boy? Did YOU have to help scrub floors and clean the toilet? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/were-you-paper-boy-did-you-have-help-scrub-floors-clean-toilet-144700/)

graciegirl 02-23-2015 07:50 AM

Were YOU a paper boy? Did YOU have to help scrub floors and clean the toilet?

Sweetie did. I did.

Cisco Kid 02-23-2015 07:56 AM

You had Toilets ?

We had the corn field next to us.

The rich in town had outhouses.

graciegirl 02-23-2015 07:59 AM

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...822806&pid=1.7

Sweetie says he used a wagon for Sunday papers because they were heavy.

This was the time in history before allowances and before children were abducted off their bikes. This information for YOUNGER villagers....;)

Bay Kid 02-23-2015 08:06 AM

I lived in rural Virginia and I sold/delivered Grit newspaper when I was around 8 years old. At 14 I was cleaning pots and pans, scrubbing floors and cleaning the toilets at the Yorktown Navy base. Mom & Dad believed in working so I never knew any difference. Great training for life.

DonH57 02-23-2015 08:31 AM

Only in the boys' sheriff ranch.

vinricci 02-23-2015 08:38 AM

Paper Boy

Delivered the Long Island Press when I was 12, seven days a week for 4 years. Great learning experience about life and human nature.

Madelaine Amee 02-23-2015 09:06 AM

I was sent to spend the summer with my Nana and Gramps and I firmly believe she was a close relative of Attila the Hun and my Gramps was deaf as a post (which worked in his favor with her) and was the sweetest old man that ever lived. She taught me to cook and clean and he taught me to garden, all of which I still enjoy today. Loved that old couple .................

missypie 02-23-2015 09:13 AM

Didn't deliver papers but did scrub toilets, wash and wax floors, shoveled snow, picked weeds, folded towels and other normal things that one does as they are growing up in a household. It was normal then and is normal now for my children and their families. I knew of only two wealthy families growing up that had cleaning ladies. Only after the age of 75 did my parents have a cleaning person come to the home and they felt guilty!

SALYBOW 02-23-2015 09:16 AM

I did it all and lived to tell about it. LOL

bagboy 02-23-2015 10:17 AM

I used the wagon on my early morning paper route until I saved enough money to buy the saddle bags for my ten speed bike that held 100 or so papers. 4 am could be scary in my neighborhood, but I survived.

TheVillageChicken 02-23-2015 10:25 AM

Delivered papers on my bicycle and when I got older, my Cushman Eagle. Caddied at the Country Club, and ......hated this one....picked cotton on my Grandfather's farm.

Wandatime 02-23-2015 11:27 AM

Mom had a surefire way to keep us out of trouble between the time we got home from school and she got home from work: us four girls were in charge of sweeping and mopping the kitchen, vacuuming the rest of the house, cleaning both bathrooms, dusting, and doing the laundry. We had this same list of chores EVERY DAY. There was barely enough time to watch Gilligan's Island. Boy, her house wasn't nearly as clean once all her servants left for college.

JerryP 02-23-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinricci (Post 1017932)
Delivered the Long Island Press when I was 12, seven days a week for 4 years. Great learning experience about life and human nature.

I also delivered the LI press, (ENY). And yes, you learned a lot about human nature.

Villages PL 02-23-2015 11:57 AM

My aunt was a paper girl, my uncle was a paper man and my brother was a paper boy. Then I became a paper boy. Being a "paper person" means being careful around fire.

pivo 02-23-2015 12:28 PM

I use to peddle the scranton morning papers up at 4 in the morning done by six thirty

The I sold the scranton blue streak a late night paper, at the time their were no night
baseball, so all mlb games was played during the day, and we had all the baseball scores that night before next days papers