Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Can I get Hubby Back Home if Med. Emerg? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/can-i-get-hubby-back-home-if-med-emerg-144820/)

Billyg 02-23-2015 11:29 PM

Can I get Hubby Back Home if Med. Emerg?

Hello,
My husband has PD and it is progressing rapidly. I would like to bring him to our home in TV for a few weeks soon.
My question is: If something does go wrong (broken bone, pneumonia) and he needs medical care or rehab, can I just fly him back home to Maine? Will airlines do that?
We would prefer to have his care with our support system here up north.
Any advice or previous experience you have had with this is much appreciated.
Thank You ,
Lost in Indecision…..

OldManTime 02-24-2015 01:57 AM

Talk to the Customer service at the airlines. If he is a Veteran, speak to them, they might be able to help too.

redwitch 02-24-2015 06:24 AM

I think a lot would depend on level of care required. Broken bone should be no problem. Something that needs oxygen or constant medical attention probably requires a med evac plane.

Bizdoc 02-24-2015 03:30 PM

I'm sorry that you are going thru this. I know how difficult the "last stretch" is - just lost my dad in November.

The trip down may be too hard on him. Once he's here, problems will make an air ambulance ride home pretty much required. You should talk to your local hospital social worker to get an idea of what an air ambulance might run. Think carefully about the pluses and minuses.

Good luck and may God bless you as you face difficult times. Many of us on TOTV will keep you in our prayers.

jnieman 02-24-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyg;1018***
Hello,
My husband has PD and it is progressing rapidly. I would like to bring him to our home in TV for a few weeks soon.
My question is: If something does go wrong (broken bone, pneumonia) and he needs medical care or rehab, can I just fly him back home to Maine? Will airlines do that?
We would prefer to have his care with our support system here up north.
Any advice or previous experience you have had with this is much appreciated.
Thank You ,
Lost in Indecision…..

A friend of ours worked for Angel Flight. It is a medical transport company. Here is the link. Hopefully you will be able to get help here. Air Ambulance | Medical Flight Transport Services | Air Ambulance Services

Villager Dude 02-24-2015 11:05 PM

I was a volunteer pilot for Angel Flight when I had an airplane . I have not kept up with them but we flew transplant patients , children to Shriners Hospitals, etc I would contact them as they will have to approve the requirement and identify a list of pilots to be on stand by.

dbussone 02-25-2015 09:02 AM

Can I get Hubby Back Home if Med. Emerg?

If you wish to check with a medical air transport company, here is some info on a very good on:

US/Canada: 800.823.1911 Outside: 630.466.0900. AeroCare.

HomeServicesPersonnel
AircraftFAQOnline Quote
Medical RepatriationTestimonialsOrgan Transport
News & MediaLinks / AffiliationsContact Us
Domestic Air Ambulance Service
Aerocare provides air ambulance, medical transport, and medevac services to and from all 50 states. For a list of cities that we regularly fly to, please click on the according state below. Aerocare is capable of transferring a patient to and from any city within the continental USA.
AlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansas
CaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelaware
FloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdaho
IllinoisIndianaIowaKansas
KentuckyLouisianaMaineMaryland
MassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippi
MissouriMontanaNebraskaNevada
New HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew York
North CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahoma
OregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth Carolina
South DakotaTennesseeTexasUtah
VermontVirginiaWashingtonWest Virginia
WisconsinWyoming
Request a Quote
Or call us at 800-823-1911
Have Questions?
AAMS Fixed Wing Award Of Excellence Winner
PLAY VIDEO

Villages PL 02-25-2015 12:46 PM

My father flew on a commercial airline, by himself, from FL to NJ and back, with Alzheimer's. The airline was told that he might need some help, and he did. When he got back, he told us that a man in a uniform had talked to him on the plane. We figured it must have been the pilot or co-pilot. :)

Airlines can be very accommodating. Just ask.

frannieb 02-25-2015 02:26 PM

so sorry for your situation. We are Canadians and we have travel insurance but also have AirMed. It's like AAA, you join for under $300 and can use it twice in one year.
No pre existing, but you cannot be in hospital at the timeof joining.
They have ICU type planes to get you home but you must be admitted to a hospital 50 miles from your home.
You might want to check it out.

Bonny 02-25-2015 03:47 PM

Air ambulance can be very expensive. Last May we were Staying in St Maarten for 2 weeks. I had to be airlifted off to the Villages. We had to pay cash up front $24,100.00. If you don't have the cash, they will try to help you secure a loan. Thank goodness for high limit charge cards.
We have since bought travel insurance with Emergency Assistance Plus just incase.

dbussone 02-25-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frannieb (Post 1019374)
so sorry for your situation. We are Canadians and we have travel insurance but also have AirMed. It's like AAA, you join for under $300 and can use it twice in one year.
No pre existing, but you cannot be in hospital at the timeof joining.
They have ICU type planes to get you home but you must be admitted to a hospital 50 miles from your home.
You might want to check it out.

This is excellent information.