Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Coin appraisal (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/coin-appraisal-145545/)

lake5798 03-01-2015 09:03 AM

Coin appraisal

Can someone recommend a a reliable, honest coin appraiser?? Thanks

Mleeja 03-01-2015 09:44 AM

I am not an appraiser, but curious what type of coin you have? Looking on ebay will give a good idea of the coin's retail value. It is not what the coin is worth, but what someone will pay for it...

karostay 03-01-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1021317)
I am not an appraiser, but curious what type of coin you have? Looking on ebay will give a good idea of the coin's retail value. It is not what the coin is worth, but what someone will pay for it...

It's just my opinion could be mile off my observation
Unless you have a coin that's extremely rare or proof minted coin it's only value is melt value.

Bogie Shooter 03-01-2015 01:45 PM

Not necessarily true. There are many collector coins outside these two categories.
Have a look on EBay.

luvmagic2 03-01-2015 10:00 PM

Bob's jewelry on 441 buys and sells coins

Bonanza 03-02-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1021317)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1021324)
It's just my opinion could be mile off my observation
Unless you have a coin that's extremely rare or proof minted coin it's only value is melt value.

When someone asks for help regarding a specific subject, they aren't looking for opinions, they are asking for help and an answer to their query!

Mleeja -- practically everything has value, and not just what someone will pay for it. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any such thing as an appraiser. There is a market price for just about everything.

To karostay -- a coin doesn't have to be "extremely rare," etc." to be worth more than its melt value. That is simply not true!

lake5798 03-02-2015 04:38 AM

I have an old bag of all different coins that my in laws had in their safe deposit box

happy employee 03-02-2015 08:14 AM

Bob's coins, located accross from Walmart in Summerfield has always been very fair when i have bought and sold coins with him. EBAY will give you a good idea of retail value, This is NOT the value you will receive from a local coin buyer. Most dealers pay a percentage of "grey sheet" price. These can sometimes be quite different from retail. That said, listing each coin on EBAY, dealing with buyer, paying listing and final value fees and dealing with shipping can all be difficult.

If i were you, i'd take them to BOB and see what he offers. If you don't like it, do something else with them.

karostay 03-02-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1021722)
When someone asks for help regarding a specific subject, they aren't looking for opinions, they are asking for help and an answer to their query!

Mleeja -- practically everything has value, and not just what someone will pay for it. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any such thing as an appraiser. There is a market price for just about everything.

To karostay -- a coin doesn't have to be "extremely rare," etc." to be worth more than its melt value. That is simply not true!

Says who

Bogie Shooter 03-02-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1021722)

And here is my opinion! :wave:

karostay 03-02-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1021928)
And here is my opinion! :wave:

I'll give you 2 cents for your dime :jester:

Mleeja 03-02-2015 08:26 PM

When someone does not have an idea of the value of a coin, looking on ebay will give the person an idea of the retail value. Knowing that you can then go to a coin dealer to have the coins appraised as an educated seller. If the person apprasing the coins gives you a price which is significently below retail value, then you might want to inquire why or seek a second appraisal. Hence my comment, a coin may be worth $20.00 but if someone will only pay $10.00 for it, then its value is $10.00. Take the others advice and go see Bob's coins. Just don't go as an uninformed seller. And that is my opnion, errr advice.

PaPaLarry 03-03-2015 06:26 AM

Just a suggestion: Maybe Villagers from the Coin Clubs could help you?