Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Secret symbols? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/secret-symbols-145620/)

rustyp 03-01-2015 07:00 PM

Secret symbols?

I have seen numerous posts on TOTV with symbols and no words. Am I the only dense one who does not know what they mean? Today I seen ";;;" and recently "///". What do these mean? Is there somewhere one can view a dictionary of these symbols?

TheVillageChicken 03-01-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1021593)
I have seen numerous posts on TOTV with symbols and no words. Am I the only dense one who does not know what they mean? Today I seen ";;;" and recently "///". What do these mean? Is there somewhere one can view a dictionary of these symbols?

They mean nothing. The software is not configured to allow us to delete a post, so if someone says something that they completely want to get rid of, the only way to do it is to type in some meaningless characters. You can't just leave the post blank as the software won't allow that. I think each post must contain at least three characters.

tomwed 03-01-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1021593)

You are not alone. I had the same problem. Someone explained to me that when you change your mind about a post you wrote you can delete the words and replace them with symbols. Doing so also means that the thread changed and it gets moved up the list.

There might be other reasons too but it's not code when I do it.

Wandatime 03-01-2015 07:36 PM

Dang, you all missed a perfectly good opportunity to really prank somebody. I am sorely disappointed.

///

graciegirl 03-01-2015 07:37 PM

Someone suggested that it was something mean and nasty and the typer changed their minds. Not always, sometimes mine is just stupid. Or I changed my view on something because of someone's good argument. Or I gave up. I used to say Boy Howdy sometimes but then people would make fun of that.

So....

... or/// it is.

tomwed 03-01-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandatime (Post 1021609)
Dang, you all missed a perfectly good opportunity to really prank somebody. I am sorely disappointed.

///

We do [at least I do] talk in senior code words that is impossible for younger people to decipher.

"I'll be singing "Happy Trails" so ignore the next 2 TV Guides on the stoop."

This means I will be going away for 2 weeks in senior code talk.

HimandMe 03-01-2015 08:54 PM

Sometimes cutesy or rude responses make a person want to just delete their post as it changes the entire meaning.

Wandatime 03-01-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HimandMe (Post 1021649)
Sometimes cutesy or rude responses make a person want to just delete their post as it changes the entire meaning.

This is very true and I hope my response was taken in jest as the question had already been answered. If not, my apologies to all.

CFrance 03-01-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1021610)
Someone suggested that it was something mean and nasty and the typer changed their minds. Not always, sometimes mine is just stupid. Or I changed my view on something because of someone's good argument. Or I gave up. I used to say Boy Howdy sometimes but then people would make fun of that.

So....

... or/// it is.

I was that person, and I didn't mean you! But you make a good point.

Cisco Kid 03-02-2015 07:26 AM

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

graciegirl 03-02-2015 07:52 AM

tutu