Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   is there anywhere in or around the villages to play Pickle ball indoors? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/there-anywhere-around-villages-play-pickle-ball-indoors-145769/)

elizabeth52 03-02-2015 10:24 PM

is there anywhere in or around the villages to play Pickle ball indoors?

I was wondering if there are any indoor pickleball courts?

DougB 03-02-2015 10:40 PM

I believe the indoor pool facility has indoor pickleball court as well.

Average Guy 03-02-2015 10:51 PM

I seem to recall people playing pickleball indoors at the First Baptist Church of Oxford gym just off Hwy 301.

kansasr 03-03-2015 12:34 AM

Here's the info from pickleballcommunity dot com

Pickleball Community has arranged evening Indoor Pickleball Court time at the gymnasium of the First Baptist Church of Oxford. This 3 court facility has excellent lighting, AC and is heated (winter play). It will accommodate all interested players on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month from 6 PM till exhaustion!

NOTE: Daytime play commences at 1:00 PM on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month, with play until 3:00 PM.

Reservations are needed: To join the fun, simply phone Steve at least 1 day ahead of the Thursday date you are interested in playing (352)751-7437.

elizabeth52 03-03-2015 06:47 AM

Thank you!

dianejmorris 03-03-2015 07:06 AM

on page 25 of the rec news it says to contact Steve Richter 751-7437

spring_chicken 03-03-2015 08:00 AM

Just an FYI about that gym. The floor is not a typical wooden gym floor. It's basically concrete. I had to stop playing volleyball there because the surface was killing my feet and lower back.
Be sure and wear shoes with lots of cushion and support.

graciegirl 03-03-2015 08:03 AM

It was very nice of the church to open their gym to the pickleball players.

What is the surface that is typical for pickleball? It is not wood for sure.

spring_chicken 03-03-2015 08:18 AM

The typical surface for a gym floor is wood. I have played in 5 indoor tournaments in the last year and they were all on wooden floor.
The surface on the outdoor pickleball courts is much softer and forgiving than concrete.
Sorry for interjecting. I was only trying to be helpful by giving the OP a heads up about wearing supportive shoes.

graciegirl 03-03-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1022395)
The typical surface for a gym floor is wood. I have played in 5 indoor tournaments in the last year and they were all on wooden floor.
The surface on the outdoor pickleball courts is much softer and forgiving than concrete.
Sorry for interjecting. I was only trying to be helpful by giving the OP a heads up about wearing supportive shoes.

And you were helpful. Just saying I was surprised to hear that there was a place to play pickleball indoors. And it was nice of the church even if they receive money to rent it to the pickleball players, which I don't know at all.

I am obviously not an athlete. The softness of surfaces that seem hard to me is beyond my pay grade.

I can cook pretty good. ;)

spring_chicken 03-03-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1022397)
And you were helpful. Just saying I was surprised to hear that there was a place to play pickleball indoors. And it was nice of the church even if they receive money to rent it to the pickleball players, which I don't know at all.

I am obviously not an athlete. The softness of surfaces that seem hard to me is beyond my pay grade.

I can cook pretty good. ;)

Wait just a second! I missed the pay grade memo. I think I've been shorted!

maybe 03-03-2015 04:06 PM

The church charges $3 for badminton and volleyball, so my guess is the same applies for pickle ball.

The surface seems fine to me, but I know some do not like it.

2BNTV 03-03-2015 06:17 PM

Pickleball instructors recommend buying pickleball sneakers. They are different than regular sneakers in they are more flat.

I was informed one could trip with regular sneakers when moving back for a ball and it's not worth $55 to get hurt. IMHO

I bought mine at Beals.

elizabeth52 03-03-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1022749)
Pickleball instructors recommend buying pickleball sneakers. They are different than regular sneakers in they are more flat.

I was informed one could trip with regular sneakers when moving back for a ball and it's not worth $55 to get hurt. IMHO

I bought mine at Beals.

You are so right about the pickleball sneakers! I have a couple of pair of court shoes that I alternate. I am playing 5 days a week indoors up here in the frozen NY tundra and so many people get hurt because they wear running shoes. I bought mine at Dicks.

I am hoping to be in TV in late spring or early summer and would like to continue to play. Have paddle, will travel!

trenbarg12 03-03-2015 10:45 PM

Live Oaks Community church is planning to build a new building behind the Walmart on 466. In their plans for their church they are planning 2 indoor pickle ball courts. FYI.