Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Nasty, mean people !!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/nasty-mean-people-145909/)

gerryann 03-03-2015 09:05 PM

Nasty, mean people !!!

Was at Walgreens today. It was very busy since it is Tuesday, senior day with 20% off everything. Needless to say, certain specials can run out, especially during season. A popular item that was advertised in their flyer was out of stock. I had wanted the item as well, but none could be found....so, I bought the next size up and still got 20% off. A man next to me asked the sales girl where the item was. She explained that she was very sorry, but they ran out because it was an extremely busy day. This nasty, grumpy old mad started berating the young sales girl. She aplologized over and over, and he kept yelling at her. He was screaming "this is bait and switch" "you could be arrested for this". What a jerk this guy was!!! I caught up with the young sales girl later as she was telling the experience to other employees. She was so upset. I told her the guy was just a grumpy jerk and that she was very professional and did all she could.

I have said this before.....I feel so sorry for the service people that work here in The Villages. Everyday they have to deal with old grumps. Why are so many old people so nasty??

DonH57 03-03-2015 09:18 PM

Yep. Some are so miserable things don't always go their way. My guess is he's been that way most his life. Sad to go through life that way when others have much more issues.

Jayhawk 03-03-2015 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 1022866)
Was at Walgreens today. It was very busy since it is Tuesday, senior day with 20% off everything. Needless to say, certain specials can run out, especially during season. A popular item that was advertised in their flyer was out of stock. I had wanted the item as well, but none could be found....so, I bought the next size up and still got 20% off. A man next to me asked the sales girl where the item was. She explained that she was very sorry, but they ran out because it was an extremely busy day. This nasty, grumpy old mad started berating the young sales girl. She aplologized over and over, and he kept yelling at her. He was screaming "this is bait and switch" "you could be arrested for this". What a jerk this guy was!!! I caught up with the young sales girl later as she was telling the experience to other employees. She was so upset. I told her the guy was just a grumpy jerk and that she was very professional and did all she could.

I have said this before.....I feel so sorry for the service people that work here in The Villages. Everyday they have to deal with old grumps. Why are so many old people so nasty??

This.

NYGUY 03-03-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 1022866)
....Why are so many old people so nasty??

As another poster said, many have been that way all their lives and other have developed this attitude as they age. Most people here have great attitudes that are only helped by the lifestyle offered in The Villages. Others bring their own baggage, which can never be helped by moving here or anywhere else.

dbussone 03-03-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1022872)
Yep. Some are so miserable things don't always go their way. My guess is he's been that way most his life. Sad to go through life that way when others have much more issues.

And they are called grump buckets. They have nothing better to do than gripe.

gerryann 03-03-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1022881)
As another poster said, many have been that way all their lives and other have developed this attitude as they age. Most people here have great attitudes that are only helped by the lifestyle offered in The Villages. Others bring their own baggage, which can never be helped by moving here or anywhere else.

I agree that these types have most likely been this way their whole life. However, I disagree that most people here have great attitudes. After I left Walgreens, I went to Publix with this interaction still on my mind. I made a deliberate attempt to watch and listen to folks as they shopped. I also made a point to smile at everyone. Very few people smile or even say excuse me. Sorry, but I really do disagree that folks here are happy. I see unhappy faces. I'll keep looking for the happy people though. 😊

dbussone 03-03-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 1022888)
I agree that these types have most likely been this way their whole life. However, I disagree that most people here have great attitudes. After I left Walgreens, I went to Publix with this interaction still on my mind. I made a deliberate attempt to watch and listen to folks as they shopped. I also made a point to smile at everyone. Very few people smile or even say excuse me. Sorry, but I really do disagree that folks here are happy. I see unhappy faces. I'll keep looking for the happy people though. [emoji4]

I believe that if you want to see happy faces you will. I see far more happy and pleasant people than grump buckets.

Mikeod 03-03-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 1022888)
I agree that these types have most likely been this way their whole life. However, I disagree that most people here have great attitudes. After I left Walgreens, I went to Publix with this interaction still on my mind. I made a deliberate attempt to watch and listen to folks as they shopped. I also made a point to smile at everyone. Very few people smile or even say excuse me. Sorry, but I really do disagree that folks here are happy. I see unhappy faces. I'll keep looking for the happy people though. 😊

If it was the Colony Publix, and it was as crowded as usual, that would explain the lack of smiling faces. :icon_wink:

CFrance 03-03-2015 10:12 PM

Has hell frozen over? Who could be grumpy down here in the sunshine and 70s when it's so blasted cold everywhere else? Something inherently wrong with these complainers.

dbussone 03-03-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1022896)
Has hell frozen over? Who could be grumpy down here in the sunshine and 70s when it's so blasted cold everywhere else? Something inherently wrong with these complainers.

What she said.

SALYBOW 03-03-2015 10:20 PM

I am sorry this hppened to this young girl. I think you handled it beautifully. The one thing I would like to point out is that this is one nasty jerk among many, many beautiful people. We don't tend to post about all the people who have been very lovely to us, like Gracie, for instance but I am sure everyone has met many more nice people than nasty. I know I have. Smile

buzzy 03-03-2015 10:36 PM

Shopping is competitive. I would not judge people by their behavior in crowded stores.

pmbinnj 03-03-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy (Post 1022908)
Shopping is competitive. I would not judge people by their behavior in crowded stores.

I’m not so sure I agree. I think one’s behavior in a crowded store - whether polite or nasty - speaks volumes about them.

sunnyatlast 03-03-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy (Post 1022908)

I disagree. It's not like the old grouches have to get the kids ready and taken to school or daycare so they can get to work by 8:00 a.m. They've got ALL DAY AND EVENING, all 7 days of the week to go to the store during less crowded hours like afternoons and evenings.

I try to bolster the worker's morale however possible when I see a poisonous old coot treat them like dirt. Sometimes it's so bad I've sought out a manager to tell them what I saw--that the worker did the right thing but was verbally abused by the customer. And sometimes, the manager doesn't really care. I pity the workers. Been there, done that, and will never forget what it's like on the job where snotty customers think they rule and then demand you be fired because THEY were creeps.

patfla06 03-03-2015 11:30 PM

How important is any "STUFF" we want to buy that would cause
you act nasty to anyone?