Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf carts as a traveling machine (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-carts-traveling-machine-145930/)

twoplanekid 03-04-2015 09:17 AM

Golf carts as a traveling machine

As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what changes should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine? I haven’t purchased a golf cart and will probably rent until I become a full timer. So, my experience with them is very limited. Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone? I understand that they are looking into golf cart safety.

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?

graciegirl 03-04-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1023017)
As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what changes should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine? I haven’t purchased a golf cart and will probably rent until I become a full timer. So, my experience with them is very limited. Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone? I understand that they are looking into golf cart safety.

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?

I am not yet convinced they add to safety. Kind of like being strapped on a bike. But I have an open mind.

Buy a used cart. You will want a second one later.(After all you have two airplanes, ;) )AND drive as if everyone is nuts, because they are.

Arctic Fox 03-04-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what...should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine?

I'll leave others with more experience of modifying carts to really address your question but, to my mind, the most important consideration is to drive with extreme care - carts are fun, but they are not toys - and to assume that no-one else out there is paying attention

twoplanekid 03-04-2015 09:58 AM

It is my understanding that many people use them as cars. As the volume of cart traffic increases, the likelihood of accidents also increases. It seems to me that everyone should be concerned and try to be proactive to implement changes to increase the safety of golf carts used as transportation vehicles.

A golf cart weights one heck of a lot more that a bicycle and travels a lot faster than I can pedal.

redwitch 03-04-2015 10:36 AM

I can't imagine any cart sold locally not having the basic requirements to be driven as transportation. That is, headlights, turn signals, windshield. An enclosure package is a nice to have but not mandatory. Seatbelts are a wise move but not mandatory. Windshield wipers would be lovely but don't think you can get them with a fold down windshield. Street legal carts are another story and ill-advised, in my opinion.

As has been said, do remember they are not toys and drive very, very defensively, whether car or cart, but especially cart.

twoplanekid 03-04-2015 11:39 AM

I would add two observations to the discussion as having rented a white numbered golf cart. Rear visibility using the installed mirror is limited and even more so when the enclosure is installed. Though they said the cart would go 20 M.P.H., I had the pedal to the metal and was still being passed. The cart didn’t have a speedometer. Better rear view mirrors and a speedometer in every golf cart?

Rango 03-04-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1023022)
[/B][/COLOR]

I am not yet convinced they add to safety. Kind of like being strapped on a bike. But I have an open mind.

Buy a used cart. You will want a second one later.(After all you have two airplanes, ;) )AND drive as if everyone is nuts, because they are.

Google: "golf cart crash tests". You will change your mind

ugotme 03-04-2015 02:03 PM

Personally, hate the word MANDATORY.

If YOU feel safer/better with seat belts in your golf cart then by all means
get them.

Not trying to be a wise guy just my opinion!

Barefoot 03-04-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1023101)
Though they said the cart would go 20 M.P.H., I had the pedal to the metal and was still being passed.

Just because people passed you, it doesn't mean your cart was going too slow!
If your cart was capable of going 20 MPH, and you had "pedal to the metal", it means the carts passing you were speeding.
I've heard that insurance can be denied if a golf cart has been engineered to exceed the Village speed limit of 20 mph.

twoplanekid 03-04-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotme (Post 1023183)
Personally, hate the word MANDATORY.

If YOU feel safer/better with seat belts in your golf cart then by all means
get them.

Not trying to be a wise guy just my opinion!

I agree with you as an RC pilot who is not looking forward to all of the new rules governing flying drones. Yet, some things must change. Golf carts were designed for use on golf courses. Changes have and should be made to make them safer to use on the Village cart paths.

Should more equipment be required on carts, it’s up to someone to decide. Visit this discussion on who rules the cart paths -> https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...aths-tv-33195/

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-04-2015 02:51 PM

Headlights, taillights, brake lights and a horn.

I'm not a big fan of government mandates. Seat belts are an option as are motorcycle helmets. Golf carts are not cars. They will never be as safe as cars. Trying to make them as safe as cars is foolish. What's next mandating seat belts on bicycles? If you ride a motorcycle, bicycle or golf cart, you are assuming certain risks. If you want to be perfectly safe, don't ride any of them. And don't forget, golf carts are limited to under 20 mph. Even though many may go a bit faster than that 22 or 23 mph doesn't increase the safety hazard by very much.

twoplanekid 03-04-2015 03:32 PM

I too am not a big fan of government mandates.

As a private pilot of 40 plus years, I have had to comply with a multitudinous list of rules, regulations and equipment mandates to be allowed to fly. Yet, some of those have probably kept me alive.

Golf carts are not cars but here in the Villages they are being advertised and used as such. Certain equipment items on carts might lead to a safer cart environment at little additional cost. As the Districts are looking at cart safety, apparently something bad is a happening. Many factors come into play so that it’s not always just the pilot or driver at fault.

How do you know how fast you are going without a speedometer?

dewilson58 03-04-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1023229)
I too am not a big fan of government mandates.

As a private pilot of 40 plus years, I have had to comply with a multitudinous list of rules, regulations and equipment mandates to be allowed to fly. Yet, some of those have probably kept me alive.

Golf carts are not cars but here in the Villages they are being advertised and used as such. Certain equipment items on carts might lead to a safer cart environment at little additional cost. As the Districts are looking at cart safety, apparently something bad is a happening. Many factors come into play so that it’s not always just the pilot or driver at fault.

How do you know how fast you are going without a speedometer?

there are apps for phones that will tell you a speed.......very accurate.

dewilson58 03-04-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1023195)
Just because people passed you, it doesn't mean your cart was going too slow!
If your cart was capable of going 20 MPH, and you had "pedal to the metal", it means the carts passing you were speeding.
I've heard that insurance can be denied if a golf cart has been engineered to exceed the Village speed limit of 20 mph.

And Warranties can be voided.

John_W 03-04-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

...Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone?...

Insurance costs on a cart is about $100 to $150 per year. You can get it through you're auto, home or a stand alone policy. We went through Villages Insurance for our home and when we bought a cart we got a separate golf cart policy from Villages Insurance written by Foremost Insurance. First year was 2011 it was $140, since then it has only been about $100.