Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Break-in (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/break-146013/)

samhass 03-04-2015 10:55 PM

Break-in

Someone broke into a home in Bridgeport Lake Sumter yesterday. Please be vigilant in your neighborhoods.

graciegirl 03-04-2015 11:09 PM

Can you tell us how they gained entry? Also was it during the middle of the day like the others?

Chi-Town 03-04-2015 11:25 PM

Pushed the back door in during the day.

billethkid 03-04-2015 11:48 PM

Useful info:

Was there a security system?
If yes was it armed?

Bonanza 03-05-2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1023446)
Useful info:

Was there a security system?
If yes was it armed?

Usually the noise of an alarm system frightens off an intruder.
The alarm not only notifies the alarm company and subsequently, the police, but it also makes neighbors aware.

The real problem with alarm systems, is that by the time the security company calls the homeowner and can't contact them, they call the police.
By the time the police get there, the crooks are long gone.

No one should put complete faith in a security system.

Cisco Kid 03-05-2015 07:32 AM

Why are most of the break-ins during the winter months ?

villagetinker 03-05-2015 08:55 AM

Slider security modifications

1 Attachment(s)
ALL, I have attached a do it yourself way to stop your sliders from being lifted out. I have done this my self, and when I had the Sumter County security review, the deputy liked the design. It is completely reversible if you need to remove the sliders for some reason.

NOTE: I am giving this information away, please feel free to send to your friends and neighbors. I do not install, I am sharing this to make the bad guys go away.

bagboy 03-05-2015 10:53 AM

That is useful, but didn't we see that some thieves jimmie or pry the door at the lock location, then slide them open? Too bad we have to think of so many ways to stop the bad guys. Still though it wouldn't hurt to follow village tinkers advice.

gpirate 03-05-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1023514)

Those snowbirds guilty??? :22yikes:

billethkid 03-05-2015 11:15 AM

Thanx for the tip. A very simple solution to a potential problem.

dewilson58 03-05-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpirate (Post 1023618)
Those snowbirds guilty??? :22yikes:

Yep..............Snowbirds just getting decorating ideas.

theorem painter 03-05-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1023514)

All kidding aside about snowbirds, larceny is a crime of opportunity and during the winter months opportunity abounds here. The place is packed with seasonal and permanent residents out enjoying themselves. Lots of empty houses and the theives know it. In the summer many empty houses with nothing to steal. The snowbirds take their money and jewelry with them. Many permanent residents are home more in the summer because of the heat. The opposite happens up north in the winter. Burglaries are always fewer in the winter because everyone stays home because of the weather. My question is why do so many people keep large amounts of cash at home?

villagetinker 03-05-2015 12:38 PM

The last photo in my attachment showed the additional lock that I installed. BagBoy is correct, the original locks are not real good, the additional lock has steel pins to hold the sliders closed.

rubicon 03-05-2015 02:31 PM

The crimes are being committed in broad daylight which means that these criminals are not concerned about getting caught and/or have perfected a routine that permits them to study the habits of particular homeowners. while it may be random in the long run it is not in the short run meaning that once they fixate on a potential target boom.

You would think that with the number of arrest that the police would have a good handle on the likely suspects for this type of crime?

gerryann 03-05-2015 03:08 PM

People working in the area can see the everyday activity during daytime hours in a particular neighborhood.....who comes....who go's. When they are not working, they go back to hit the available homes. If a project is going on in a neighborhood, I'd be very aware of what I am doing and what others can see me doing.