Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   This is a great time of year to do yard work (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/great-time-year-do-yard-work-146128/)

Villages PL 03-05-2015 05:17 PM

This is a great time of year to do yard work

I haven't done any work in my yard for the past few months but now I'm catching up on certain chores like weeds and a few things that need to be cut back after freezing.

It certainly helps keep me in good shape as I've been using muscles that haven't been used for a while (even though I work out with weights).

rubicon 03-05-2015 05:25 PM

Agree before the really hot weather sets in

Shimpy 03-05-2015 05:55 PM

I wish I could find a grass that grows in the winter and is dormant is the summer. I wouldn't mind cutting the grass once a week in the winter but hate doing it in the summer heat and humidity. I gave up on lawn crews years ago.

dbussone 03-05-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpy (Post 1023791)
I wish I could find a grass that grows in the winter and is dormant is the summer. I wouldn't mind cutting the grass once a week in the winter but hate doing it in the summer heat and humidity. I gave up on lawn crews years ago.

Just a thought. Broccoli grows in temperatures from 20-70 F. That would work from late Fall to mid-Spring. (This is what they did in the early days of Suffolk Downs in Boston.) Then you can harvest the crop and sell it on Saturdays at Brownwood. ::jester::

DougB 03-05-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1023776)
I haven't done any work in my yard for the past few months but now I'm catching up on certain chores like weeds and a few things that need to be cut back after freezing.

It certainly helps keep me in good shape as I've been using muscles that haven't been used for a while (even though I work out with weights).

Feel free to develop your muscles some more on my yard if you want.

PaPaLarry 03-08-2015 05:01 AM

Just finished trimming my crepe myrtles, last week!!!! Don't think there will be anymore frost. Time to think about planting some tomato plants, before the hot season.

Villages PL 03-16-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1023862)
Feel free to develop your muscles some more on my yard if you want.

That's such a generous offer, I don't quite know what to say.

Villages PL 03-16-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpy (Post 1023791)

In Sunday's Daily Sun there was an advertisement for grass plugs by mail order from Maryland. It said drought resistant and seldom needs cutting. But is it suitable for Florida? I don't know.

dbussone 03-16-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1029607)
In Sunday's Daily Sun there was an advertisement for grass plugs by mail order from Maryland. It said drought resistant and seldom needs cutting. But is it suitable for Florida? I don't know.

I've seen those ads for years, while living in different states, and don't believe them