Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Insulting signs at fish hawk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/insulting-signs-fish-hawk-146408/)

Tiquer505 03-08-2015 05:30 AM

Insulting signs at fish hawk

There are 2 demeaning, sexually suggestive signs in the billiards room at Fish Hawk that should be removed. Requests to the Rec Dept. to this end have been made, accompanied by petition sheets with Villagers' signatures, but to no avail. The signs are "girlie posters" akin to those of a less politically correct era and use fishing terms to suggest a woman's "bush" and keeping a man's "rod" up.

Fish Hawk has a family pool and many young people AND women use the billiards room. These signs suggest that such a disrespectful and crass attitude is okay. It is not what anyone expects or should experience in The Villages.

Check out the signs and express your opinion to the Recreation Dept., the front desk, Fish Hawk's Manager or anywhere you think someone might take positive action. The signs are just in bad taste.

DonH57 03-08-2015 10:23 AM

Are you serious? I'll check it out.

TrudyM 03-08-2015 10:43 AM

An item for the survey?

Bonny 03-08-2015 10:55 AM

I have no problem with the pictures ! Can't imagine complaining about 2 pictures in a rec center and getting a petition.

Chi-Town 03-08-2015 10:57 AM

I'm picturing the billiards rooms of my past. Thanks for the memories.

TheVillageChicken 03-08-2015 11:01 AM

I am definitely putting this on my list of things to be pi55ed off about. It slid in nicely at number 135 just behind wearing white shoes after Labor Day, but ahead of my annoyance of the contraction for "will not" being "won't" instead of "willn't".

Mleeja 03-08-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1025260)
An item for the survey?

This PC stuff is a slippery slope. The poster may be offensive, to the OP, but not to others. I would think some review committee approved the art work in the Rec Centers. Who is going to be the morals police?

I have not seen the poster, but will check it out before I start passing judgement.

graciegirl 03-08-2015 11:08 AM

Would someone go to Fishhawk and take a picture of these plaques? I can't imagine that Tracy Matthews would have approved anything in poor taste.

Mleeja 03-08-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1025266)
I have no problem with the pictures ! You said you are only going to rent here to see if you like the Villages and the first thing to complain about is 2 pictures in a rec center and getting a petition ?

My guess is she will not like TV. Those offensive posters and the replies received to her post. This just might not be the place for them!

Bye :wave:

rubicon 03-08-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1025266)
I have no problem with the pictures ! You said you are only going to rent here to see if you like the Villages and the first thing to complain about is 2 pictures in a rec center and getting a petition ?

How the heck did you know the OP was renting here? I wonder what the OP wold do if they were ethnic jokes or blonde jokes

Bonny 03-08-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1025284)
How the heck did you know the OP was renting here? I wonder what the OP wold do if they were ethnic jokes or blonde jokes

I really apologize for that. I read another post and got the names mixed up. I usually try to be so careful to make sure what I'm posting.
A big apology to Tiquer505

graciegirl 03-08-2015 11:26 AM

Tiguer, Are they retro pinups ? I get the feeling that Tracy Matthews was going for an old fashioned fish camp feel from the forties. The Billiard room looks like it has two second world war pinup pictures on one wall. Like Killroy was here...of that genre.

http://tours.justsnooping.com/2630619/?b=false

manaboutown 03-08-2015 11:48 AM

Bring on the PC police! I have yet to observe anything anywhere of prurient interest in The Villages.

And yes, I have spent some time in the billiards room at Fish Hawk and noticed nothing unusual or extraordinary about it. The center has an old fashioned masculine fish camp theme. Each center has a theme or "feel". Perhaps the OP might be happier spending her time in more feminine surroundings.

plrbr1120 03-08-2015 12:08 PM

IF it bothers you, stay away from there. Simple as that !!

Tiquer505 03-08-2015 12:10 PM

The pictures aren't the issue. It's the language. "We'll take you deep into the Bush" and "We'll teach you to keep your Rod up"...combine with the pinup posters. I can hear the man cave snickering from here.