Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Card in the Mail from Benefits Processing Center (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/card-mail-benefits-processing-center-146429/)

Madelaine Amee 03-08-2015 07:45 AM

Card in the Mail from Benefits Processing Center

I received a card this week from the above company giving information on whether or not we should be paying tax on our Social Security payments. Both the card and the envelope have a very official appearance. I searched this company on the internet and it appears to me to be a scam of some kind. I may be wrong, I hope I am, but if you get one of these cards offering to help with tax on SS please do your own research before giving out any of your personal information.

dbussone 03-08-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1025126)
I received a card this week from the above company giving information on whether or not we should be paying tax on our Social Security payments. Both the card and the envelope have a very professional appearance. I searched this company on the internet and it appears to me to be a scam of some kind. I may be wrong, I hope I am, but if you get one of these cards offering to help with tax on SS please do your own research before giving out any of your personal information.

This is scary. Thanks for the research and heads up.

graciegirl 03-08-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1025126)
I received a card this week from the above company giving information on whether or not we should be paying tax on our Social Security payments. Both the card and the envelope have a very professional appearance. I searched this company on the internet and it appears to me to be a scam of some kind. I may be wrong, I hope I am, but if you get one of these cards offering to help with tax on SS please do your own research before giving out any of your personal information.

Madelaine. That is downright scary. I would contact Crimes against Seniors at the Sheriff's office near the corner of Morse and 466. I think they are associated with the State Attorney General.

Thank you for warning us.

Madelaine Amee 03-08-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1025148)
Madelaine. That is downright scary. I would contact Crimes against Seniors at the Sheriff's office near the corner of Morse and 466. I think they are associated with the State Attorney General.

Thank you for warning us.

Good idea Gracie - I'll call them tomorrow.

TrudyM 03-08-2015 11:24 AM

Also AARP has a fraudwatch that gives out into to seniors and also alerts the feds.

yabbadu 03-09-2015 08:21 AM

Has SCAM written all over it. Turn it in at post office and let them investigate!