Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   The alligators are awake! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/alligators-awake-146487/)

twoplanekid 03-08-2015 01:47 PM

The alligators are awake!

My wife was very excited today to see her first alligator since purchasing a home in the Villages. She was picking up the mail at the Village of Lake Deaton mail stop. A man with a dog pointed out the alligator in the pond next to this neighborhood center. She believes that it was 4 to 5 feet in length.

We are experienced with having deer nearby but not alligators.

lamplighter 03-08-2015 02:02 PM

Alligators are more dangerous now as they are in mating season and on the move from pond to pond looking for a mate. Be extra cautious.

Villageswimmer 03-08-2015 02:09 PM

Cool video. Welcome to the Villages and the forum.

Happydaz 03-08-2015 02:52 PM

My son and I recently went kayaking on Lake Griffin and saw 5 alligators. One was in the 8-10 foot range and was sunning himself on the shore. Another, a 7 footer, was out in the middle of the lake swimming right at us. My son quickly changed course, but the alligator went under water at that point. He is visiting from Pittsburgh and had never encountered an alligator in the wild. He loved the experience. It was a great day of nature watching!

graciegirl 03-08-2015 03:01 PM

Those are your kind of airplanes. Cool!

twoplanekid 03-08-2015 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1025427)
Those are your kind of airplanes. Cool!

Here is the picture my wife took of the beast. I can hardly wait to see them myself in a few weeks.

Sometimes, I get to fly something like this.

Be safe out there!

sunnyatlast 03-08-2015 05:28 PM

Be careful around the alligators. Search for prior threads here on alligators and "gators" behavior, and read what the trapper says. They're not like Bambi.

Florida Alligators

Happinow 03-08-2015 09:21 PM

We were golfing at Sweetgum tonight and saw the largest alligator,I've seen since living here. It had to be 7-8 ft. It was a darker color alligator. Looked mean. ������

Bonanza 03-08-2015 11:30 PM

Please everyone . . .
Be careful with your dogs when close to one of the lakes or ponds.
Get rid of your retractable leash because you have no control with them.
Those gators are faster than you can imagine.

Pointer 03-09-2015 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1025461)
Here is the picture my wife took of the beast. I can hardly wait to see them myself in a few weeks.

Be safe out there!

Wow that was great, felt like I was there. What a good instructor. Was that nearby?

twoplanekid 03-09-2015 06:46 AM

""" Wow that was great, felt like I was there. What a good instructor. Was that nearby? """

Sean Tucker is one of the greatest air show pilots in the world. I had the privilege of flying with him last year before the start of the Dayton Ohio air show in which he was one of the star performers. The EAA helped arrange the ride because of my participation in their Young Eagle program.

I hope I can continue giving rides when down in The Villages.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...eagles-program

Be safe out there!

Laurie2 03-09-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1025461)

Be safe out there!

Hi twoplanekid,

That must have been quite an experience. I bet you are one of those pilots who makes the annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh, too. :plane:

You might already know this, but just in case, I am linking you here to the website for The Villages Aviation Club. They meet tonight at Seabreeze.

The Villages Aviation Club Home Index Page

Bay Kid 03-09-2015 08:26 AM

Pelican has a +6' gator living there.

dbussone 03-09-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1025803)
Pelican has a +6' gator living there.

He's been eating all those errant golf balls.