Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Restaurant monopolys (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/restaurant-monopolys-146661/)

VILLAGER 2011 03-09-2015 04:37 PM

Restaurant monopolys

The Village expansion is growing rapidly. There is a growing need for a greater variety of restaurants; however, all we have is the same tired run-of-the-mill country clubs. We have a single owner that now controls four country clubs plus Scooples. I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation.

This single owner monoply also applies to other retail outlets such as barber shops...why only Cals?

graciegirl 03-09-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGER 2011 (Post 1026084)
The Village expansion is growing rapidly. There is a growing need for a greater variety of restaurants; however, all we have is the same tired run-of-the-mill country clubs. We have a single owner that now controls four country clubs plus Scooples. I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation.

This single owner monoply also applies to other retail outlets such as barber shops...why only Cals?

Why NOT? This is not a plan, this is something that happened. If someone wants to run that many restaurants or Barber shops, why stop them?

There is nothing stopping anyone from opening a restaurant here. Or another barber shop.

I don't think our country clubs are bad or tired and the prices are sure right.

How would you remedy the problem? What if you were the one renting out the buildings? What exactly would you do??? The Villages can't force Chipotle that I like to come here. They can offer and if Chipotle were smart they would come, but not even restaurants know how BIG we are. Demographers are hopelessly behind the times on this place and demographers are who restaurants and businesses consult when they are looking for a place to open. TooJays knows how good the business is and we must all like it enough to support two places going on three. .

karostay 03-09-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

My:ho:off Two entrepreneurs willing to work there butts off.
Just what America needs roll model for success

jnieman 03-09-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Every time I hear of a new shopping center coming I get hopeful for something different.

asianthree 03-09-2015 05:25 PM

The corp can only ask other restaurants to come here. They can't make them

Boomer 03-09-2015 05:40 PM

Well, I sure am glad Lopez is running Havana now. There was a time when I would not go to Havana because it was so poorly run. Nobody could get it right. But since Lopez took over Havana, we have had some wonderful dinners there.

And I am happy to see Orange Blossom up and running. Nice casual atmosphere. Good service. Really like the fish and chips. Orange Blossom had struggled for a while. Some thought once it closed, it might never re-open. But then along came somebody who likes to run TV restaurants and Orange Blossom now returns us to "those thrilling days of yesteryear" -- where it all started. And I am glad it was rescued by an investor who has lots of restaurant experience and wants to stay in the business.

So I'm OK with people who know what they are doing and have buying power with suppliers and pay their bills so they they don't run out of Goose.

Redundant? Yeah. Somewhat. -- But a monopoly? No.

NYGUY 03-09-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

....I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation....

What policy??....I didn't know their was a policy....

Bonanza 03-10-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

I'm sure the powers that be would be happy to entertain your offer of the business you want to open, so that you can give the existing places some competition.

Tobys Dad 03-10-2015 08:07 AM

I agree that having one person owning so many venues may pose a long term problem. I also find that we have the same people commenting on everything and after awhile many of us tend to ignore their posts.

Villager Joyce 03-10-2015 08:23 AM

As long as Cal's provides the excellent care it currently provides, I will be a customer even if another shop opens closer to my home. I frequent Evans and Belle Glade because I like the food, entertainment and prices. I was disappointed they changed the rules on the LoyalTee cards, but have gotten my monies worth just on martinis.

Villageshooter 03-10-2015 08:37 AM

The number one rule when you have a question about things here is :FOLLOW THE MONEY!

graciegirl 03-10-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobys Dad (Post 1026281)
I agree that having one person owning so many venues may pose a long term problem. I also find that we have the same people commenting on everything and after awhile many of us tend to ignore their posts.

This is posted by one of those people.

What would you do if you owned the properties to be rented? Leave them empty until the fine restaurants with high prices frequented by less people come? Or would you think for three or four weeks about renting them to someone who is already running a successful business, knows the area and the residents and can pay their bills??????

This is plain old economics. This is common sense. This is how the world works.

This is free enterprise. This is the American Way.

The follow the money remark can only be pointing to The Morses, who are the owners of the property. I WISH they would still run the restaurants because they did it so well, but it appears that their business plan is to establish a business and then sell to someone who would continue running it.

This is not wish in one hand and............................

Good Morning.

Gracie, who you may have on ignore.

golf2140 03-10-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1026314)

What would you do if you owned the properties to be rented? Leave them empty until the fine restaurants with high prices frequented by less people come? Or would you think for three or four weeks about renting them to someone who is already running a successful business, knows the area and the residents and can pay their bills??????

The follow the money remark can only be pointing to The Morses, who are the owners of the property. I WISH they would still run the restaurants because they did it so well, but it appears that their business plan is to establish a business and then sell to someone who would continue running it.

Good Morning.

:mademyday:

Cedwards38 03-10-2015 09:54 AM

The ones you mentioned, owned by the same person, are some of my favorites. I'm sure the Villages will welcome anyone who wants to start a new restaurant.

NYGUY 03-10-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1026314)

Good Morning.

:thumbup::thumbup:....Don't mess with Gracie!!!