Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What would you do (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/what-would-you-do-147135/)

Deseylou 03-13-2015 03:49 PM

What would you do

I brought cookies to work to be shared among my fellow workers
I saw people before clocking in and offered them a cookie
I did tell them I was sharing
I then put cookies in my locker
A few minutes later a fellow worker thanked me for cookie
I did not offer her cookie, I did not tell her to help herself to my locker
She went in and helped herself
I feel like she stole from me and I feel violated
Would you tell management if it means she might be terminated

kcrazorbackfan 03-13-2015 04:14 PM

Seriously, over just a cookie. Wow, this is Florida's friendliest hometown, isn't it? Cookies must have been dipped in gold.

Deseylou 03-13-2015 05:02 PM

It's not the fact that it was just s cookie
Does anyone have the right to go into a locker uninvited and take something
It could have been $100 or a nickel., it's the principle

FlamingoFlo 03-13-2015 05:05 PM

Why was your locker unlocked?

DonH57 03-13-2015 05:10 PM

The cookies weren''t set out to shared as first stated?

redwitch 03-13-2015 05:11 PM

No way would I report it to anyone. You'd just come off sounding petty and mean-spirited. I'm sure she assumed the cookies were offered to one and all, not just a select few and she did let you know she had been your locker. But I do think you should lock your locker, otherwise why bother having one?

gomoho 03-13-2015 05:14 PM

I'm not sure why you didn't put them in the break room (assuming there is one) for people to help themselves. That's how I always shared stuff.

jnieman 03-13-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 1028096)
I'm not sure why you didn't put them in the break room (assuming there is one) for people to help themselves. That's how I always shared stuff.

Right Pru, that's how you share cookies. You put them in the break room for everyone to take not just selected people. If you had wanted them just for select people, lay one on each person's desk. She should not have gone in your locker to get one however, but she did admit it so I think she was just clueless to what she had done. Not worth turning her in to management, just put a lock on your locker.

l2ridehd 03-13-2015 05:25 PM

Maybe a co-worker who was on a diet took the cookie and then gave it to her. Told her she got it from you, so she thanked you. Did she say she went to your locker and got it or did you make that assumption?

Either way, do nothing and next time put the remainder in the break room.

gap2415 03-13-2015 05:32 PM

You were generous to go and share the cookies you brought and left in the open I would expect people to then help themselves. You put them away though and that is fine, they are yours to share as you see fit. Going into your locker is like someone going into a lady's purse. She should have asked politely but not go into your locker IMHO. She trespassed. If it were me, I would say, "hey! If you want one, ask but don't touch my locker". Then I would drop it. After all it is a cookie...but I too would be a wee bit miffed.

2BNTV 03-13-2015 05:35 PM

If I brought cookies into work to share and I was thinking I would want some for myself, I would put them in a secure place. I personally would have asked if I could help myself to a cookie. Going into someone locker is not right but I wouldn't want to see anyone fired for what they thought was community property,

I would not report someone to management over a box of cookies.

Yung Dum 03-13-2015 05:36 PM

You would actually get someone fired over a cookie? Nobody will ever accept a cookie from you in the future. Drop it and forget it. You'll be better off if you do.

Mikeod 03-13-2015 06:25 PM

Nope. No one should go into your locker, locked or not. But I wonder if the coworker saw someone with a cookie and was told you brought them in to share and they were in the locker. Personally, I would have asked you directly if I could have a cookie and got your approval to get one. But my spouse thinks I'm a little strange, so that may be the old way.

Allegiance 03-13-2015 07:04 PM

Next time share some real chocolate with others, then put some exlax chocolate in your locker.

http://www.cardinalglennon.com/Publi...look-alike.gif

villager 03-13-2015 07:14 PM

If you are that upset (and obviously you are), I think the proper thing to do would be to politely have a conversation with the person who took the cookie. The conversation should not be confrontational, but a kind one. Find out his/her side of the story and work it out between the two of you. There is no reason to get management involved. Don't triangulate management into the situation expecting them to take care of something for you. It is always best to go directly to the person to work things out.

TheVillageChicken 03-13-2015 07:28 PM

It looks like there might be some text between the lines...let me see if I can read it. Hmmmm. Looks like you may be upset not so much about the cookie or the locker intrusion, but rather by who it was that done the deed.

fred53 03-13-2015 07:40 PM

Let it go, but do tell her that you'd appreciate it that she not go in your locker without asking. She might get offended, but you can't please everyone and she did go into a place that she did not belong without permission...she should have asked first...luck...

BobandMary 03-13-2015 07:43 PM

Honestly, I'd let it go. You were generous and kind. It didn't work out as you planned. I'd leave goodies in the break room next time. Within 10 minutes, everybody knows who brought in the treats. Please don't be discouraged. You did a kind thing! Do it again.

fred53 03-13-2015 07:45 PM

I've met this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1028058)
Seriously, over just a cookie. Wow, this is Florida's friendliest hometown, isn't it? Cookies must have been dipped in gold.

kind of individual and their relatives...if it doesn't bother them then it shouldn't bother you and how come they can't just do what they please...they trivialize everything unless it's something they care about...then look out!

They would eat your lunch right out of the common refrigerator...among a plethora of other trivial things(overly boisterous, loud music)aka: the ugly American...

Beechie 03-13-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deseylou (Post 1028042)

Had this lady in question been there at clock-in time would you have offered her a cookie? If so, then I would let her know that you have no problem with her having a cookie except for the fact that she opened your locker and helped herself to a cookie without your knowledge. The question would be why did you think it was ok to do that?

Beechie 03-13-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobandMary (Post 1028174)
Honestly, I'd let it go. You were generous and kind. It didn't work out as you planned. I'd leave goodies in the break room next time. Within 10 minutes, everybody knows who brought in the treats. Please don't be discouraged. You did a kind thing! Do it again.

Although I agree with your post BobandMary, I don't believe you should let that indescretion go unchallenged.

sunnyatlast 03-13-2015 08:44 PM

There are always clueless people around, having no manners.

I'd have a padlock on my locker, cookies or no cookies. Do y'all put your purses in these lockers??

goldseekur 03-14-2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingoFlo (Post 1028090)
Why was your locker unlocked?

I'm with Deseylou on this one. It doesn't matter that the locker was not locked, the person opened someone else's locker, took SOMETHING from it without the person's permission. In my book that's STEALING no matter what the item is. :police:

graciegirl 03-14-2015 07:20 AM

Is this here, or where you now live?

Not that it matters, but is this a general question? If it's here I will make some cookies take them to the place where you work, share them with EVERYONE, and then beat up the person that took the cookie. If it's there, you are on your own.

Taltarzac725 03-14-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobandMary (Post 1028174)

I agree with this. :D

CFrance 03-14-2015 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1028175)
kind of individual and their relatives...if it doesn't bother them then it shouldn't bother you and how come they can't just do what they please...they trivialize everything unless it's something they care about...then look out!

They would eat your lunch right out of the common refrigerator...among a plethora of other trivial things(overly boisterous, loud music)aka: the ugly American...

Man, you sure did extrapolate a lot outta that one cookie!

Cisco Kid 03-14-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

This is not really about a cookie is it.
The cookie represents someting you do not like about this person.
Now take one of those cookie out, SMASH IT.
You will feel better.
Now tell us why you do not like her.

I'm listening.

dbussone 03-14-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1028325)
This is not really about a cookie is it.
The cookie represents someting you do not like about this person.
Now take one of those cookie out, SMASH IT.
You will feel better.
Now tell us why you do not like her.

I'm listening.

I know someone whose cookie should be smashed.

Walter123 03-14-2015 08:41 AM

This thread has made me lose my cookies.

CFrance 03-14-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 1028343)
This thread has made me lose my cookies.

I think I'm gonna toss mine.

dbussone 03-14-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1028344)
I think I'm gonna toss mine.

(Perhaps I shouldn't ask. But I will anyway.) How far?

Laurie2 03-14-2015 09:11 AM

Perhaps we should step away from the cookies (I tell myself that all the time.) and maybe segue into a discussion of workplace dynamics.

I am a little curious.

Is there someone standing behind the OP who wants to hold her coat so she can go fight? -- Those types are often in a state of self-righteous indignation. Oh so aware of real and imagined grievances. That's a personality type. Steer clear of them.

Is there a drama queen in the mix? -- Your umbrage becomes their umbrage. That's because they love a scene. Varies slightly from the coat-holder. The coat-holder will be more hostile and self-righteous. The drama queen can appear to be sympathetic, giving you a shoulder to cry on, but hoping for that big finale. Steer clear.

But if it is you, self-motivated you, willing to cost someone their job over something so flimsy, willing to drag the boss into it, well, take a good look in the mirror. Take a deep breath. Do a little self-talk. And step away from the cookies. (And maybe look up that famous quote from Pogo.)

I can tell you right now that if you elevate this to a big deal, it will hurt you. There will be those in the workplace who will steer clear of you. Your boss, if a good boss, will not be impressed. Your boss, if a bad boss who wants a tattle-tale, will use you for that. Is that who you want to be?

And please, next time, put that nice plate of cookies on a table in the employee area for everyone. If you want everybody to know they are from you, just add a little "Happy Whatever" card or note. Don't dole them out to only those you choose.

(Aw, gee, I was not going to get into this thread, but it was starting to drive me crazy. Advice was asked for, after all.)

So anyway, enough about the cookies. Let's move on to the cheese. I really doubt you want to be like the cheese -- who stands alone.

Bossy Laurie

Walt. 03-14-2015 09:51 AM

See... what you need to do is to tie a string around the cookies so that nobody can take them. Then, four hours later, you eat just a few of them and a bunch just sit there uneaten.

Oh... wait... I'm getting my threads mixed up...

deestatham 03-14-2015 10:25 AM

Totally understand how you feel and I'd feel the same way. But quite honestly, I don't think its worth any more efforts. It would just stress you out and it just isn't worth it. She was an ass and if I were you, I'd just store this bit of information in the back of my mind and make sure it never happens again. Could be that the word got out about the cookies and someone told her they were in your locker - who knows?

Whalen 03-14-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Was your locker left open?
Did you actually see her eat the cookie?
Could she just be thanking you for a nice gesture and not for the cookie per se?
At the end of the day...Let It Go.

sunnyatlast 03-14-2015 10:46 AM

You could ask the person, "Why did you feel free to go into my locker and take something from it? Is everyone free to open and take things from yours?"

CFrance 03-14-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1028355)
(Perhaps I shouldn't ask. But I will anyway.) How far?

I throw like a girl.:cryin2:

CFrance 03-14-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie2 (Post 1028369)
Perhaps we should step away from the cookies (I tell myself that all the time.) and maybe segue into a discussion of workplace dynamics.

I am a little curious.

Is there someone standing behind the OP who wants to hold her coat so she can go fight? -- Those types are often in a state of self-righteous indignation. Oh so aware of real and imagined grievances. That's a personality type. Steer clear of them.

Is there a drama queen in the mix? -- Your umbrage becomes their umbrage. That's because they love a scene. Varies slightly from the coat-holder. The coat-holder will be more hostile and self-righteous. The drama queen can appear to be sympathetic, giving you a shoulder to cry on, but hoping for that big finale. Steer clear.

But if it is you, self-motivated you, willing to cost someone their job over something so flimsy, willing to drag the boss into it, well, take a good look in the mirror. Take a deep breath. Do a little self-talk. And step away from the cookies. (And maybe look up that famous quote from Pogo.)

I can tell you right now that if you elevate this to a big deal, it will hurt you. There will be those in the workplace who will steer clear of you. Your boss, if a good boss, will not be impressed. Your boss, if a bad boss who wants a tattle-tale, will use you for that. Is that who you want to be?

And please, next time, put that nice plate of cookies on a table in the employee area for everyone. If you want everybody to know they are from you, just add a little "Happy Whatever" card or note. Don't dole them out to only those you choose.

(Aw, gee, I was not going to get into this thread, but it was starting to drive me crazy. Advice was asked for, after all.)

So anyway, enough about the cookies. Let's move on to the cheese. I really doubt you want to be like the cheese -- who stands alone.

Bossy Laurie

Well said. I'm glad you got into the thread, Bossy Laurie!:BigApplause:

Cisco Kid 03-14-2015 11:14 AM

What if they were Circus Peanuts?

SKIMAN 03-14-2015 11:25 AM

:thumbup::posting:I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS AS A " SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE SKIT "