Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sam's Club (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sams-club-147138/)

Villages PL 03-13-2015 04:21 PM

Sam's Club

I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.

redwitch 03-13-2015 05:01 PM

You summed it up pretty well. I like their meats but I know this doesn't inyerest you. You can get some good buys on electronics, especially tvs. Bulk is handy for some things if you have the room, such as cleaning supplies and paper products. Decent wine selection. Some good deals on seasonal items. Love their buckets of Preen and cat sand.

gomoho 03-13-2015 05:20 PM

When I was in TV I went once a week to Sams for their vegetables and fruits. Quality and price can't be beat. Also an excellent deal on spices, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, olive oil etc. etc. Don't have a Sams or Costco where I now live and do miss it a lot.

gap2415 03-13-2015 05:48 PM

We like SAMs, it well pays for the membership fee we pay but we do call it the hundred dollar store. Even if we go for one little thing, it seems to cost at least a hundred dollars every time we got here.

Ecuadog 03-13-2015 06:39 PM

Most people don't know that you don't have to be a member to shop at their liquor store, which is outside the main store. Mostly big bottles, limited selection, good prices. You do have to be a member to shop their wines in the main store.

pbkmaine 03-14-2015 08:16 AM

I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-14-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1028066)
I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.

The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.

Cisco Kid 03-14-2015 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000

dbussone 03-14-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1028350)
Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000

Could we go halvsies?

tuccillo 03-14-2015 09:42 AM

I believe you can go in on a visitors pass to check it out. That would probably answer your questions about whether it is a good fit for you and your buying habits. Regarding the fee to join, if what you save is greater than the annual fee then it is a net savings.

Quote:

TNLAKEPANDA 03-14-2015 09:43 AM

Don't go to Sams Club... it is too crowded and the fewer that go the better.

Bogie Shooter 03-14-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

That would make sense...................then you could form your own opinion.:thumbup:

simpkinp 03-14-2015 12:13 PM

Many of the clubs go there for their supplies and it is great for shopping for parties, especially at the holidays when they have more appetizers and the like. Good prices on wine and good price and quality of meats..

Villages PL 03-14-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1028335)
The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.

Thanks, you summed it up very well. I'm surprised that the annual fee is now $100. When I went many years ago I think it was about $25.

Villages PL 03-14-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbkmaine (Post 1028319)
I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?

I just might do that, thanks.