Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Which airport? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/airport-147153/)

velcro 03-13-2015 06:22 PM

Which Airport to use

As a newbee to TV I will be taking my first flight up north to NJ. I was wondering which airport is most convenient to use from TV. Tampa or Orlando I am concerned with travel time to & from the airport & parking long term (7 Days) convenience. :plane:

Thanks

velcro 03-13-2015 06:26 PM

Which airport?

As a newbee to TV I will be taking my first flight up north to NJ. I was wondering which airport is most convenient to use from TV. Tampa or Orlando I am concerned with travel time to & from the airport & parking long term (7 Days) convenience. :plane:

THanks

Phanatic Luvr 03-13-2015 06:47 PM

Tampa's airport is about 1 1/2 hours or just a little more, and there is a lot of construction going on, on both I-75 for about 40 miles or more and then again on I-275 as you go through Tampa itself. Although I love Tampa's airport, Orlando is the way to go in my opinion. Just made several runs back and forth over the past 2 weeks, as we had several family members come in and it takes just about an hour to get to. I always try to schedule flights at the least traffic periods to travel.
Good luck and welcome!!!!

Carl in Tampa 03-13-2015 06:50 PM

Airport comparison.

Mapquest will tell you that the trip to Orlando airport is about one hour and seventeen minutes and the trip to Tampa International is about one hour and thirty-five minutes. What it doesn't tell you is that the trip to Orlando airport eats you up with tolls if you go on the Turnpike, which is the short way to go, and it is easy to get lost on the return to The Villages.

Between the cost of gas and the cost of tolls, we have resorted to using the airport shuttle from The Villages when only one passenger is involved. If there are several passengers you might reconsider, but remember to factor in the cost of parking if you take your car rather than the shuttle.

You might also find that flights to and from Orlando will be a few dollars cheaper than using Tampa.

You can probably go on line and find out the long term parking fees at Tampa and at Orlando.

Tampa International Airport is well laid out and very efficient. It is considered one of the most user friendly airports in the USA.

Enjoy your trip.

seashorecaroline 03-13-2015 06:55 PM

I travel quite a bit to New Jersey to visit family and have used both airports. I prefer Orlando (more flight options to Philadelphia) and use the Village van which will pick you up at your door. The cost is $40 each way but I like the convenience. Enjoy your trip.

velcro 03-13-2015 07:14 PM

It seems THEY use the Turnpike to fund all the other Toll Free roads in FL. I was thinking Orlando & will most likely go that way.
Thanks

villager 03-13-2015 07:16 PM

I prefer the Tampa airport, but you can't beat the convenience of getting to and from the Orlando airport with the transportation options available.

lbertoni 03-13-2015 07:35 PM

I am a Jersey Girl who flys home out of Orlando. The shuttle works if you do not want to drive or try long term parking. I just drove back to Jersey to pack up my house and put it on the market. Where in Jersey are you from?

velcro 03-13-2015 09:04 PM

My daughter lives in Freehold, I,m NYC born & raised. I think I am going to try flying into Trenton it,s only 30 min. from her & she will be picking me up. Orlando seems to be the spot. Cheap flights & convenience. Has anyone used long term parking at Orlando & could you recommend one?
Thanks

JoMar 03-13-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velcro (Post 1028210)
My daughter lives in Freehold, I,m NYC born & raised. I think I am going to try flying into Trenton it,s only 30 min. from her & she will be picking me up. Orlando seems to be the spot. Cheap flights & convenience. Has anyone used long term parking at Orlando & could you recommend one?
Thanks

There is a shuttle that takes you right to your terminal......and picks you up and brings you back to TV. Why would you drive?

Barefoot 03-13-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seashorecaroline (Post 1028150)
I prefer Orlando and use the Village van which will pick you up at your door. The cost is $40 each way but I like the convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1028213)
There is a shuttle that takes you right to your terminal......and picks you up and brings you back to TV. Why would you drive?

Orlando Airport and The Village Van --- relax and enjoy your trip.

spofford 03-14-2015 04:19 AM

Parking at airport, Wally Park, coupons on line, different options, valet, self, and covered

MrGolf 03-14-2015 06:15 AM

I travel out of TV almost every week using the shuttle to and from Orlando. No brainier considering the construction on 75 to Tampa.

sligo 03-14-2015 06:43 AM

Need to know getting picked up at your house also has the inconvience of all other passengers getting picked up,also this can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours before you are on they way to the Airport another 1 1/2 app to be there 2 hours ahead of your flight time,would never do this again same on return.

pbkmaine 03-14-2015 08:07 AM

There are two main transportation services to Orlando: 1) Village Van Service and 2) The Villages Transportation. Until January, when I reduced my work hours, I used them frequently. Village Van Service, as noted above, picks you up at your door and makes multiple stops between your house and the airport. The last time I used them it was more than an hour from pickup until we were even out of The Villages. The Villages Transportation operates on a fixed schedule direct from Lake Sumter Landing to and from Orlando Airport.To get to LSL, you can either use one of The Villages Transportation's taxis for an additional fee or have someone drop you.