Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Old Scam, new twist? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/old-scam-new-twist-147241/)

dplars 03-14-2015 12:27 PM

Old Scam, new twist?

A heads up. Received an email that looked like it came from my Bank's financial manager advising that someone had been attempting to access my brokerage account but could not answer the security questions properly and that I should click on the below link and down load a security form. Of course I did not and then tried to forward this email to my financial manger. It bounced back. Made the appropriate calls to the FM and bank security. Was advised to print out the original email and the returned info. Everything looked legit, logo, etc. but it just didn't smell right. Hope no one falls for this as it could be financial devastating.

Bogie Shooter 03-14-2015 01:07 PM

Here is the latest one I received. I do not have an account with Bank of America.

Dear customer

We're Writting to let you Know that Your Account Require Full Profile Update.To Avoid Deactivation Of Your Account Due To Some Fraudulent Purposes.
To Update Your profile immidiately,Please click here www.bankofamerica-secure/account to secure your Account.

if this process is not done within 24-48 hours.we will be forced to suspend Your Account online Access,as it might Have been Used for fraudulent purposes.

This email is not Monitored,Please do not reply to email.

This is a service email from bank of America.please note that you may receive service emails in accordance with your Bank of America service aggreements,whether or not
you elect to receive monitor account email.

© 2015 Bank of America Corporation.

Lovey2 03-14-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1028517)
Here is the latest one I received. I do not have an account with Bank of America.

Dear customer

We're Writting to let you Know that Your Account Require Full Profile Update.To Avoid Deactivation Of Your Account Due To Some Fraudulent Purposes.
To Update Your profile immidiately,Please click here www.bankofamerica-secure/account to secure your Account.

if this process is not done within 24-48 hours.we will be forced to suspend Your Account online Access,as it might Have been Used for fraudulent purposes.

This email is not Monitored,Please do not reply to email.

This is a service email from bank of America.please note that you may receive service emails in accordance with your Bank of America service aggreements,whether or not
you elect to receive monitor account email.

© 2015 Bank of America Corporation.

I've gotten these before and a big red flag is always the misspellings (was that one?) and poor punctuation on these letters. Of course, aside from the biggest flag of any color...your lack of an account with the bank!! What morons...unfortunately, I believe they always manage to get to some poor unsuspecting folks. So sad...

Lovey2 03-14-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dplars (Post 1028503)
A heads up. Received an email that looked like it came from my Bank's financial manager advising that someone had been attempting to access my brokerage account but could not answer the security questions properly and that I should click on the below link and down load a security form. Of course I did not and then tried to forward this email to my financial manger. It bounced back. Made the appropriate calls to the FM and bank security. Was advised to print out the original email and the returned info. Everything looked legit, logo, etc. but it just didn't smell right. Hope no one falls for this as it could be financial devastating.

Thanks...

villagetinker 03-14-2015 01:44 PM

Got a very similar one from "Wells Fargo", I called WF, and they gave me an email address to forward the email to. I was able to do this. The banks and financial institutions want the emails if possible because there is valuable information in the email header to help them track down the bad guys.

IN ANY CASE NEVER NEVER NEVER CLICK A LINK IN THESE TYPES OF EMAILS.

outahere 03-14-2015 04:16 PM

I received a similar email, supposedly from SunTrust the other day, and I have never had an account with them. That one along with the occasional email from someone posing as the FBI and numerous ones about inheriting large sums go right to spam and I delete them without even opening them. If you ever receive one that is supposedly from the IRS, that is a scam as well. The IRS only uses the U.S. Mail for correspondence.

Loudoll 03-14-2015 05:34 PM

Received from a Paypal scammer

eServicePP@Pal.com (eServicePP@Pal.com)

3/11/15

eServicePP@Pal.com

#----------------------------------------------------------------
We need your help
#----------------------------------------------------------------

Your account is still temporarily limited because we haven't
heard from you.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to
your PayPal account. We want to work with you to get your
account back to normal as quickly as possible.

Case ID Number: PP-728-900-188-705
How you can help :

http://jyj.byqex.com/js/bPayPal/bAccount/clientPayPalogin/?^WebScrCommandLoginUnitedStatesOnlineAccountStatu sLimitedNow*

It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most
of the time, we just need a little more information about
your account or latest transactions.

All you have to do is to confirm your PayPal Debit/Business
MasterCard.

Sincerely,
PayPal.