Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/okay-leave-tip-money-table-147245/)

Villages PL 03-14-2015 01:53 PM

Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

This information comes from Annie's Mailbox, a regular column in the Daily Sun.

Annie said there was a study done about a year ago, at New York University, and it was found that dollar bills that were tested contained 3,000 different forms of bacteria. Some could cause the following:

1) gastric-ulcers

2) pneumonia

3) food poisoning

4) staph infections

5) acne

Also, there was fungi, plant pathogens, DNA from animals, and even minute amounts of diphtheria and anthrax.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/0...-dollar-bills/

Is it safe to put tips on the table in restaurants? The waiters then pick up the tips with their bare hands and continue serving customers.

The health department is fussy about how the kitchen is kept, it must be just so, but don't they have anything to say about the filthy money situation?

Rickg 03-14-2015 01:57 PM

They are picking up a lot worse. Used napkins, plates, utensils, items off the floor, menus touched by hundreds before. I don't think I'll worry about it. 😁

rubicon 03-14-2015 01:58 PM

So should we wash our money before we go to a restaurant to prevent contamination either to the table or to the server or perhaps both?

Or perhaps we should just use our credit/debit cards and avoiding handling dirty money

Villages PL 03-14-2015 02:09 PM

I knew the replies would be that bacteria is everywhere anyway so why worry about it. That's true; bacteria are everywhere. That being the case, why does the health department bother inspecting restaurant kitchens?

CFrance 03-14-2015 02:14 PM

Because salmonella is not everywhere?

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.

Chi-Town 03-14-2015 02:17 PM

If I were you I would use Apple Pay.

Villages PL 03-14-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1028557)
Because salmonella is not everywhere?

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.

Sorry, that's not a question. Here's a rhetorical question: Didn't I list "food poisoning" in my opening post?

Villages PL 03-14-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1028559)
If I were you I would use Apple Pay.

Do you pay the tip with Apple Pay too?

But even if you do, the waiter has been touching other peoples money all day long.

CFrance 03-14-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1028561)
Sorry, that's not a question. Here's a rhetorical question: Didn't I list "food poisoning" in my opening post?

I was making a point. A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer. Wikipedia

onslowe 03-14-2015 03:00 PM

Apart from requiring everyone everywhere to wear HazMat type outfits, what does the OP propose to solve or mitigate this supposed problem?

dbussone 03-14-2015 03:26 PM

The only solution is to stop eating.

graciegirl 03-14-2015 03:49 PM

Holy bowlegged Sarah!

dbussone 03-14-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1028613)
Holy bowlegged Sarah!

Somehow I knew Sarah was about to show up.

Shimpy 03-14-2015 03:59 PM

I always make it a point not to put my spoon, fork, knife on the table, but on a napkin. Usually after each customer they wipe off the table and seat with the same rag which is used who knows where else. I'm not a germ freak and realize that some exposure is a good thing, but just have a thing about putting my fork on that table that just wiped off the seats. The rags are probably used all day and without disinfectant.

gomoho 03-14-2015 04:05 PM

I grew up eating dirt and my kids grew up chewing on the disgusting handles of grocery carts and keys. We lived. Don't think the money is an issue. Health department needs to look at the big picture of cockroaches, and food not kept at the right temperature etc.